Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta slashes mileage earning on unpublished and group fares: 01 September 2012

Delta slashes mileage earning on unpublished and group fares: 01 September 2012

Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExP
Post Delta slashes mileage earning on unpublished and group fares: 01 September 2012

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...shed/index.jsp
Unpublished Fare Mileage Earn Table
Unpublished Fare Class of Service Miles* MQMs*
First/Business - J, C, D, S, I, F, P, A 150% 100%
Premium Economy - Y, B, M 100% 100%
Economy, H 75% 75%
Discounted Economy - Q, K, L 50% 50%
Deeply Discounted Economy - U, T, E 25% 25%
Best in Class.

----------------------------------------------

Moderators Note:
This thread has been merged, see post #12 below for more information on this change and how it does/does not affect you.

thezipper
Delta Co-Moderator

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 18, 2012 at 2:03 pm Reason: Added link for convenience.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by HansGolden
OK, some questions (revised to make it one that an official rep. can address)

(a) how would DL define those fares?
(b) how would we know what those fares are? (especially when booking) by lieu of example, what are the code designation or channel designation on this one?
(c) who would be the first one to report they are seeing retroactive changes on their ticket purchased rules versus the actual miles earned? (we know it will happen... this is the popcorn note.) Maybe it should be worded: what means are in place to ensure that retroactive effect will not take place? by lieu of example:
Jane Doe purchased a ticket on Aug/10, to fly on Oct/10. She purchased under the old rule. Are their means in place to ensure she receives the proper credit by the rule at the time of purchase?

In addition,
(d) it is not clear what would happened to the bonus miles by medallion level, and
(e) when would we receive an official notice about it.

Edited to add: I am really concern because I have 'experienced' the 'slippery slope' approach by DL. (I can bring few examples here, but I want to keep the discussion on target).

(1) Would there be a clear mark on those fares?
(2) would we see a next change coming to the 'published' fares? I am actually registered to the DL official communication channels and it did not come through. So, I am disappointed by the communication.
(3) The technological changes it took to implement this change allow to extend it very simply. Just saying, there is a certain track record of changes in the past that followed a similar pattern.
(4) I already see at least two contradicting items in the changes notification, e.g. regarding the miles and MQM earned on certain FC fares. But, I will let DL do their work by going in, reviewing the message again and making a decision with the regards to the authors' actual meaning on that particular section.

Last edited by DLroads; Aug 17, 2012 at 11:13 am
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I can just hear the spin... "Another reason to come on back to Delta.com..."
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DLroads
In addition, it is not clear what would happened to the bonus miles by medallion level, and when would we receive an official notice about it.
Special and unpublished fare tickets may not be eligible for Medallion Tier Bonus and Class of Service Bonus. Special and unpublished fare tickets will not be eligible for bonus miles or MQM promotions.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Thanks for posting this!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Everyone is going to have a different perspective, but I have never ever bought a ticket to which this would apply, not in my 43 years on this planet. Don't think I'm going to worry too much about it.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:20 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
At least it (for now) will not apply to consolidator fares in the Asia/Pac region, where I believe these types of fares are still pretty prevalent. But I think some people are going to be very surprised when they get tickets through a travel agent, don't realize it is considered a "special" or "unpublished" fare, and get just 25% of the mileage for the trip.

What is scary about this change is the thought that it may eventually creep up to published fares as well.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Everyone is going to have a different perspective, but I have never ever bought a ticket to which this would apply, not in my 43 years on this planet. Don't think I'm going to worry too much about it.
Yep. Seems to me, you get what you pay for. You want that "deeply discounted" fare for your cruise...well, here's your sign.

Also, everyone (98%) of people on here complain about devaluing their SMs and watering down the elite ranks....well, the attempt to fix that, you people complain...
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm sure all of the business and corporate travelers who are required to book through a corp travel agent are NOT going to be please when they find out they're earning crap for miles and especially MQMs.

And will be interesting when the poor folks who purchase a package through DL Vacations find out they don't earn squat on their air travel.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Same here. I didn't realize people who bought the cheap consolidator fares got mileage in the first place. Maybe it will help reduce the mileage devaluation somewhat. Love how the conspiracy theorists are already firing on all cylinders on how this will soon apply to published fares as well.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
I'm sure all of the business and corporate travelers who are required to book through a corp travel agent are NOT going to be please when they find out they're earning crap for miles and especially MQMs.

And will be interesting when the poor folks who purchase a package through DL Vacations find out they don't earn squat on their air travel.
Pretty sure that DL vacations uses published fares.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Post The sky is NOT falling -REG: Earning Miles With Special Fares 01SEPT2012

Delta has made a change (HT to Hans G) to "unpublished fares":

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...shed/index.jsp

I have also talked to my Delta contact and this will NOT affect things that are booked on "publish fares" i.e. anything you book at Delta.com!

Also safe are things from Delta Vacations and government, military, corporate, sports and university fares.

This is in line with what the other majors do btw.

But I have to say, the first time I glanced at the list, my heart almost jumped but all is still well in MQM earnings land for 99.9% of us! ^

Last edited by Renes Points; Aug 17, 2012 at 10:34 am
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by jtrue28
Also, everyone (98%) of people on here complain about devaluing their SMs and watering down the elite ranks....well, the attempt to fix that, you people complain...
I bet it's a different subgroup of folks complaining about each end of the spectrum. There is no single FT "agenda", I don't think. Except to find something, anything, to serve as a target for a good gripe.

We do, as a group, give good gripe.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
So if I buy my a deep/deeply discounted fc/biz/coach ticket aka A,S,L,U,T fare via Delta.com, then traditional full and/or bonus miles apply, however if I go to a third party agent, aggregator or other venue to save some dollars the result is lower milage earnings on those same A,S,L,U,T type fare classes?

Sounds like a non issue, no brainer for those who use Delta and for those who choose or have to use those other options, well, then you have or get something to complain about.

Glad I buy almost all of my DL tickets via Delta.com using Amex

-H
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:44 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LBJ
Pretty sure that DL vacations uses published fares.
Copied from this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...1sept2012.html

. . . . . purchases made through Delta Vacations will continue to earn full mileage based on . . . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.