Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQM Valuation Based on Fare Paid Now Showing on Delta.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MQM Valuation Based on Fare Paid Now Showing on Delta.com

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by HillTiger
I fly the same route 90% of the time twice a month. I always have a Q class ticket and have not noticed any difference. Then again.... I generally only reach gold and am not a KM DYKWIA kind of flyer
Welcome to the board HillTiger and congrats on your first post
Old Sep 8, 2012, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by yohanson:19278851

Do a MR/VR. Watch this forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/ Go somewhere you've never been before and take lots of pictures!
You're missing the point. I've spent the same amount of $ to reach FO as others have spent to reach PM. Others can spend a quarter of my spend to achieve the same status, arguably with a better long term outcome due to rollover.

Of course I can do MRs to reach a higher status. The point is that I MUST do them to get that status, while the PM who has spent the same amount does not.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by gooselee
You're missing the point. I've spent the same amount of $ to reach FO as others have spent to reach PM. Others can spend a quarter of my spend to achieve the same status, arguably with a better long term outcome due to rollover.

Of course I can do MRs to reach a higher status. The point is that I MUST do them to get that status, while the PM who has spent the same amount does not.
No I'm not. I have to do the same thing.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by yohanson:19279782

Same here.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by yohanson:19279782

And more power to you. Other folks who do not have my or your travel pattern do not. It seems that you're okay with having to spend 3x or 4x as much as others in order to reach the same status (granted, you get to take more flights and see more places - I'd just argue that you should have higher status than those who have not spent as much).

I disagree with your take on it, but neither of us is going to change the other's mind at this point. I would, however love to hear other opinions on the difference.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Interesting article that JetBlue and Virgin America have 'Stage is set' for revenue focused loyalty programs. Its only a matter of time for Delta, as I'm sure corporate is closing watching those programs. If all of the legacy carriers switched within a year time frame, where are we all going to go? Flying Blue doesn't fly US Domestic.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by jomes41
Interesting article that JetBlue and Virgin America have 'Stage is set' for revenue focused loyalty programs. Its only a matter of time for Delta, as I'm sure corporate is closing watching those programs. If all of the legacy carriers switched within a year time frame, where are we all going to go? Flying Blue doesn't fly US Domestic.
"Both loyalty schemes this year established elite tiers, offering their best, most valued customers additional benefits while travelling."

I think when/if Delta rolls in a revenue qualifier, it isn't going to have much impact on the way people are already earning status BIS or AMEX spend. They will just reward those spending a fortune on short flights.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
A quarter of your spend? It cost me $400 to get silver this year. A bit less for next year.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:28 am

Programs: DL GE
I guess I wouldn't say there goes DL, more like there goes loyalty to DL - cheapest carrier rules, no longer a benefit to only flying DL.....
Old Sep 9, 2012, 1:01 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Amount of spend does NOT always equal amount of profit for DL

There has been a lot of focus in the thread debating the merits of a "spend-based" program. There are valid arguments to be made on both sides of the question...and a handful of poster have made them again...and again...and again.

However, one of the aspects that hasn't been widely discussed is the PROFIT generated for DL by various flight patterns. For example, take two pax that both earn GM by spending the same amount of $$. With planning and about $6,000, pax A can earn GM by flying ATL-MCO-ATL 50 times on $59ow T fares. With planning and about $6,000, pax B can earn GM by flying ATL-FRA-ATL 6 times on $1,000rt T fares.

Those arguing for a "spend-based" program believe that these two pax should earn the same status since they spent the same amount of $$. However, it isn't always as simple as they would have us believe. The costs associated with pax A (50 tickets & 100 boardings) far exceed those associated with pax B (6 tickets & 12 boardings), meaning that pax B likely generates more PROFIT for DL than pax A, even though they spent the same $$.

Although I used T fares for simplicity, simlar examples could be made at the various fare classes, so this is not limited to T fares. The reality is that the amount of $$ a pax spends is no more a true indication of his/her profit potential to DL than the number of miles he/she flies is. @:-)
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ecaarch
There has been a lot of focus in the thread debating the merits of a "spend-based" program. There are valid arguments to be made on both sides of the question...and a handful of poster have made them again...and again...and again.

However, one of the aspects that hasn't been widely discussed is the PROFIT generated for DL by various flight patterns. For example, take two pax that both earn GM by spending the same amount of $$. With planning and about $6,000, pax A can earn GM by flying ATL-MCO-ATL 50 times on $59ow T fares. With planning and about $6,000, pax B can earn GM by flying ATL-FRA-ATL 6 times on $1,000rt T fares.

Those arguing for a "spend-based" program believe that these two pax should earn the same status since they spent the same amount of $$. However, it isn't always as simple as they would have us believe. The costs associated with pax A (50 tickets & 100 boardings) far exceed those associated with pax B (6 tickets & 12 boardings), meaning that pax B likely generates more PROFIT for DL than pax A, even though they spent the same $$.

Although I used T fares for simplicity, simlar examples could be made at the various fare classes, so this is not limited to T fares. The reality is that the amount of $$ a pax spends is no more a true indication of his/her profit potential to DL than the number of miles he/she flies is. @:-)
Good point but it's even more complicated. If the 50 ATL-MCO-ATL flights all had empty seats but the FRA routes were overbooked (and even had to pay VDB/IDB compensation), the person on the cheap tickets was ultimately more profitable ex post.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Also the marginal revenue from that cheap seat, that would otherwise go empty, may be more valuable than the above higher fare seat if the second FRA seat would've simply been purchased at the same price by another flyer anyway.

Cargo will impact how valuable any passengers are on a given flight in the first place, too. Some routes may cover, or nearly cover, the cost of the flight and the people are pure profit at any price. Others, can't count on much or any cargo revenue and the people are more of a factor in covering costs and then in profitability.

There are so many variables on each flight. To really make sense, there would have to be a calculation of the profit from each of a passenger's flights and then reward based on your aggregate profitability for the year, rather than straight purchase price paid.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Also the marginal revenue from that cheap seat, that would otherwise go empty, may be more valuable than the above higher fare seat if the second FRA seat would've simply been purchased at the same price by another flyer anyway.

Cargo will impact how valuable any passengers are on a given flight in the first place, too. Some routes may cover, or nearly cover, the cost of the flight and the people are pure profit at any price. Others, can't count on much or any cargo revenue and the people are more of a factor in covering costs and then in profitability.

There are so many variables on each flight. To really make sense, there would have to be a calculation of the profit from each of a passenger's flights and then reward based on your aggregate profitability for the year, rather than straight purchase price paid.
Excellent point and the reason you'll never see a truly fair FF program.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Good points, and I assume I'm one of those broken record posters.

In that broken record, I've previously pointed to examples where it costs one person ~$6.5k to reach FO on segments, and another person $2k to reach the same status. Yes, it certainly did cost DL more $ to fly the first person on 30 flights vs. the 10 that the $2k spender took. I'll admit that I wouldn't know where to begin with even a ballpark estimate of profit margins for different flights, but is the difference really that big? The profit margin, after taking all the variables into account, on the $2k worth of flights would need to be over 3x (in aggregate) the margins on the $6.5k flights just to make those same people equally profitable for DL.

Originally Posted by yohanson
Excellent point and the reason you'll never see a truly fair FF program.
Finally, something we agree on.

I think some of the push to a revenue-based program vs. profit-based is because it's already something that's visible to DL's customers. The tiers of a FF program must be visible in order to give customers something to strive for (thus building loyalty, even if just through MRs/SRs). DL is not going to make the profits generated by individual customers visible, but revenues already are.

The way I see it, revenue is likely just as flawed as a measure as mileage or segments. But, since it would be flawed in my favor, I would welcome it. In lieu of that, I would at least welcome rollover segments - that part of it bugs me more than anything else, TBH.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:14 am

Finally, something we agree on.

I think some of the push to a revenue-based program vs. profit-based is because it's already something that's visible to DL's customers. The tiers of a FF program must be visible in order to give customers something to strive for (thus building loyalty, even if just through MRs/SRs). DL is not going to make the profits generated by individual customers visible, but revenues already are.

The way I see it, revenue is likely just as flawed as a measure as mileage or segments. But, since it would be flawed in my favor, I would welcome it. In lieu of that, I would at least welcome rollover segments - that part of it bugs me more than anything else, TBH.
I doubt Delta has the ability to see the true profitability of a customer. If they are like any other business, they have metrics that they look at and then come up with a score based on those metrics. Those metrics don't necessarily mean much. Do they track a ticket cost against the cost of the flight? I doubt it. Keep in mind they need to come up with a small set of criteria and apply that to millions of customers. Plus, I doubt they track a customer's baggage checking load, Woodford consumption, body weight (fuel consumption purposes), etc.

BTW, NWA first gave me SE status with only about 8000 EQM when I first became "elite". That may have had something to do with my $1000-1240 fares MSP-STL-MSP that I had been paying at the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.