Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Cancels DTW-HKG effective August 30th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Cancels DTW-HKG effective August 30th

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Any way DL could do a 1-stop from NYC (possibly SEA) a la CX? I would think you'd get the benefit of some transcon traffic to fill the plane as well as two domestic feeder cities en route to HKG, and possibly the ability to use a 332 if needed?

**Disclaimer: I know nothing about these sorts of things. Just passing by...
But no preclearance like CX to avoid additional security checks for the flight ...
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by cdubose98
There was a thread on airliners.net a year or two ago (unfortunately I can't find it now) that said Atlanta-Shanghai O&D was 55 PDEW. So while it is still a rather small market, it's a far cry from the 23 PDEW to all of China back in 2007, as stated earlier in this thread. I suspect that in a few years a 3-4 weekly 787 might be viable, should someone choose to fly it.

Anyway, to get back on topic, most of the a.net chatter seems to indicate that DTW-HKG is moving to JFK.
ATLPVG is about ~27 PDEW.

The largest Southeast U.S.-Asia markets, in order, are:

ATLICN
MCONRT
ATLNRT
MIAMNL
MIAHKG
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Any way DL could do a 1-stop from NYC (possibly SEA) a la CX?
For NYC-origin passengers, that's not much of an improvement over existing JFK-NRT-HKG, and that JFK-NRT segment supports NRT to SIN/ROR/BKK/MNL/TPE/GUM/PEK/PVG/ICN/SPN.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Is this flight full as many times as DTW-NGO? Looks like the occupancy isn't that high. I doubt the BE is even full at all.
Why not? I am sure Toyota itself pretty much pay for this route.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, this should be done very well. There is no competition against another airline.
Your logic totally make ZERO sense, just because an airline doesn't fly a route currently, doesn't mean the new starter will do well on it.

Originally Posted by N830MH
Some airline were never flies to SEA-HKG nonstop before.
DL never flown SEA-HKG but doesn't mean others. I suggest you should read some airline route history first !

SEA-HKG was originally a UA route in the early 80s, it was the first UA TPAC route ever using a swapped CP DC10-30. It was never profitable and when UA purchase the entire PA TPAC more profitable routes like SFO-HKG, UA quickly dump it, then NW picked that up. Since UA didn't do well on it, same went with NW.

If there is enough loads for SEA-HKG, CX would have done it a long time ago. Notice the CX's N. America only goes to YYZ/YYR/SFO/LAX/JFK for a very long time, not until last year it starts ORD, so you know where the HKG traffic comes from.

And if you know some DL's history, DL did fly to HKG years ago using L1011-500 then MD11, but it was never out of SEA, it was LAX-HKG. LAX-HKG always have competition with CX, and even back then UA still had LAX-HKG. You can see despite competition, they would still fly LAX-HKG instead of SEA-HKG, does it tell you something ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Your logic totally make ZERO sense, just because an airline doesn't fly a route currently, doesn't mean the new starter will do well on it.

DL never flown SEA-HKG but doesn't mean others. I suggest you should read some airline route history first !

SEA-HKG was originally a UA route in the early 80s, it was the first UA TPAC route ever using a swapped CP DC10-30. It was never profitable and when UA purchase the entire PA TPAC more profitable routes like SFO-HKG, UA quickly dump it, then NW picked that up. Since UA didn't do well on it, same went with NW.

If there is enough loads for SEA-HKG, CX would have done it a long time ago. Notice the CX's N. America only goes to YYZ/YYR/SFO/LAX/JFK for a very long time, not until last year it starts ORD, so you know where the HKG traffic goes.
YYR is a COdbaUA diversion hub, not somewhere that CX flies.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

If there is enough loads for SEA-HKG, CX would have done it a long time ago. Notice the CX's N. America only goes to YYZ/YYR/SFO/LAX/JFK for a very long time, not until last year it starts ORD, so you know where the HKG traffic comes from.

And if you know some DL's history, DL did fly to HKG years ago using L1011-500 then MD11, but it was never out of SEA, it was LAX-HKG. LAX-HKG always have competition with CX, and even back then UA still had LAX-HKG. You can see despite competition, they would still fly LAX-HKG instead of SEA-HKG, does it tell you something ?
I think you mean YVR here.

Otherwise, spot on.

Here's hoping for HKG-JFK.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
It was never profitable and when UA purchase the entire PA TPAC more profitable routes like SFO-HKG, UA quickly dump it, then NW picked that up.
Wasn't that quick. I flew SEA-HKG (later using 747SP, occasionally not making it westbound without a fuel stop) in 1988 and 1991. PA left as early as 1986, IIRC.

Notice the CX's N. America only goes to YYZ/YYR/SFO/LAX/JFK for a very long time, not until last year it starts ORD, so you know where the HKG traffic goes.
Those are the only major centers of HK population--the only places you'll find full-time HK newspapers (daily w/ local office) and Cantonese radio stations (>12 h/d).

And if you know some DL's history, DL did fly to HKG years ago using L1011-500 then MD11, but it was never out of SEA, it was LAX-HKG. LAX-HKG always have competition with CX, and even back then UA still had LAX-HKG.
For a while it was LAX-ANC-HKG. And for a time DL was mileage partner with UA--I'm not sure if it overlapped with the LAX-HKG service.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:19 pm

787 Wildcard

The wild card is airlines are starting to take deliveries of the 787. Not only is the CASM much lower, but the you only need to sell between 160-180 seats. I said this before in the thread. NW's long term goal with the 787 program was to bypass NRT for a number of routes.

On a 1x daily route the 788 (depending on configuration) needs between 40,000-80,500 less seats filled compared to a 777.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Wasn't that quick. I flew SEA-HKG (later using 747SP, occasionally not making it westbound without a fuel stop) in 1988 and 1991. PA left as early as 1986, IIRC.

Those are the only major centers of HK population--the only places you'll find full-time HK newspapers (daily w/ local office) and Cantonese radio stations (>12 h/d).

For a while it was LAX-ANC-HKG. And for a time DL was mileage partner with UA--I'm not sure if it overlapped with the LAX-HKG service.
The Cantonese speaking population in YVR comes from many places, though.
I know people that came from CAN/SZX/SGN/HAN/HAK that can speak Cantonese, but the main one is HKG.
I can get Chinese newspapers in other Canadian cities too (YYC/YEG being an example, with dushi, ga wah bo, etc.)
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by motytrah
The wild card is airlines are starting to take deliveries of the 787. Not only is the CASM much lower, but the you only need to sell between 160-180 seats.
The argument has merit. It was the 767 that really revolutionized TATL travel to and from secondary markets. The 787 doesn't solve the primary ultra-long-haul problem, though: aircraft burn a lot of fuel carrying fuel. It gives a higher cost/seat mile for 8,000-mile flights vs. 6,500 mile flights. (Think of the paucity of non-stop service to Hawaii from the East Coast; we're just expected to connect on the west coast.)

Further (off-topic here) it's not clear that a 787 on a route between big hubs, where connections on big capacity aircraft can be expected, will make more money than a 787 on a niche route (NYC-Zurich for the banker traffic, for example).
Old Jun 30, 2012, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
ATLPVG is about ~27 PDEW.
Interesting. I guess I remembered that thread incorrectly. I could've sworn it was 55 PDEW, but you would know those numbers better than I would.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The Cantonese speaking population in YVR comes from many places, though. I know people that came from CAN/SZX/SGN/HAN/HAK that can speak Cantonese, but the main one is HKG. I can get Chinese newspapers in other Canadian cities too (YYC/YEG being an example, with dushi, ga wah bo, etc.)
I'm talking about Chinese "civilizations". Those five cities are the only ones to be "civilizations". Just as the whole PRD area would fly through HKG (except if CAN has nonstops), people from secondary cities in North America fly through those five gateways anyway, as those five are the only ones with competition. The Asian carriers can sell you a domestic tag-on just as competitively as the US carriers selling you the whole itinerary.

In secondary cities, daily papers are often trucked/flown in from the print shops in those five cities, e.g. LAS, HNL, SEA (from LAX/SFO etc.) Local papers are rarely daily. I've seen a paper in LAS with an ad selling KE LAS-ICN, i.e. one stops to many Chinese cities--and no need to go through LAX.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
UA over Cathay........Not a chance!

ORD HKG on CX

Originally Posted by reluctanttraveler
That would make sense. When I flew this route in July and August of last year, peak season for Asia, it was very full. November, not so much. In August things were actually so packed that I scored the op-up of legend: upgraded to 777 BE for the 14-hour flight. And my co-worker, on a separate ticket but the same flight, got the op-up too! And the most surprising part: we were both FOs at the time! That op-up seems to have used up most of my upgrade karma but I don't care... it was worth it.

Either way this is going to be a huge inconvenience for a lot of people. This route was the only reason I chose DL over UA. Now with UA having ORD-HKG direct, I may be forced to move to UA for most of my travel. 11 PM arrival on the connection from NRT just does not cut it That, or I can find a new job that doesn't require me flying to HKG multiple times per year. Already working on that, but it may be too late....
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by cdubose98
Interesting. I guess I remembered that thread incorrectly. I could've sworn it was 55 PDEW, but you would know those numbers better than I would.
I think you are just confusing 27 PDEW with 55 daily passengers total, which is about right. PDEW stands for per day, each way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.