Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Cancels DTW-HKG effective August 30th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2012, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec

As noticed here: http://airlineroute.net/2012/06/23/dl-dtwhkg-sep12cxld/

So now we're back to NRT as the only way to get to HKG on Delta. And it's not like they are refurbing the 777s (which are used on this route), so that can't be an excuse.

That was such a great flight. Unlike the NRT connection which arrives after 11:30pm, the nonstop from DTW gets in just after 7pm which is very helpful in order to get downtown by a reasonable hour after a long day of travel.

Thanks, Delta!

BTW from the Midwestern U.S., UA still offers daily ORD-HKG service, so that's a likely option for anyone impacted by this.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Couple threads about this already. Each one gets sadder.

R.I.P. HKG-DTW

I find it hard to believe this flight wasn't making money.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Couple threads about this already. Each one gets sadder.

R.I.P. HKG-DTW

I find it hard to believe this flight wasn't making money.
Yes, unfortunately, they didn't workout very well. Perhaps, DL will plan to start SLC or SEA-HKG nonstop.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, unfortunately, they didn't workout very well. Perhaps, DL will plan to start nonstop SLC or SEA-HKG nonstop.
If DTW-HKG nonstop didn't work, SLC-HKG certainly wouldn't.

SEA-HKG might make sense given their attempt to grow SEA into a mini-transpac hub, but the domestic "feeder" connections via SEA are simply not what DTW offers, so there would have to be strong local demand, IMO, to support SEA-HKG.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, unfortunately, they didn't workout very well. Perhaps, DL will plan to start SLC or SEA-HKG nonstop.
If DTW-HKG didn't work then SEA-HKG doesn't seem very likely and SLC-HKG has zero chance of ever happening.

Maybe HKG-JFK though since DL is expanding at JFK and this would be a popular route that they might be able to take passengers away from the other airlines flying HKG-NYC direct. I can dream can't I?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Maybe HKG-JFK though since DL is expanding at JFK and this would be a popular route that they might be able to take passengers away from the other airlines flying HKG-NYC direct. I can dream can't I?
Given that UA can seem to support EWR-HKG, SFO-HKG, and ORD-HKG nonstops, you would think DL would still want at least one U.S. nonstop from somewhere. JFK seems plausible, but given DL's history, it'll probably be ATL-HKG (and then subsequently canceled as well).

CX has 3x daily HKG-JFK, so if DL attempted this, they'd be going to battle with a truly world-class carrier, and could not compete in terms of either frequency/convenience or on-board service.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TheMoose

So now we're back to NRT as the only way to get to HKG on Delta. And it's not like they are refurbing the 777s (which are used on this route), so that can't be an excuse.

That was such a great flight. Unlike the NRT connection which arrives after 11:30pm, the nonstop from DTW gets in just after 7pm which is very helpful in order to get downtown by a reasonable hour after a long day of travel.

Thanks, Delta!

BTW from the Midwestern U.S., UA still offers daily ORD-HKG service, so that's a likely option for anyone impacted by this.
I am extremely bummed about this change. Adding an extra stop from TUL with a family is definitely not optimal. The multiple SkyClubs at least made the 6 hour layover in DTW bearable.

Any idea if DTW-PEK or DTW-PVG still going to operate, or are they axing those too? If so, I probably need to switch airlines.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: NW, UA
not surprising and was only a matter of time, judging by the loads on my several flights on this route. if they can extend it beyond HKG.. may be MNL/SGN/KUL? my guess is the cargo load isn't very hot on the route either. with so many routing options, who really needs it unless you live in DTW area.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM

Thanks, Delta!

I find it shocking that Delta didn't call you first to make sure this decision wouldn't inconvenience you.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by worldexpress
not surprising and was only a matter of time, judging by the loads on my several flights on this route. if they can extend it beyond HKG.. may be MNL/SGN/KUL? my guess is the cargo load isn't very hot on the route either. with so many routing options, who really needs it unless you live in DTW area.
From the east coast it is nice only having to do immigration at HKG rather than in NRT as well though with JFK-NRT going to 74S the advantage of a long trip on the 777 loses that advantage
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I heard that this route will go seasonal and the 777 will likely fly somewhere with high offseason demand (like south america since its the peak season down there). Ultra long haul flights are hard to make money on, I can't even imagine how bad they must be in sept/oct
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deadtail
I find it shocking that Delta didn't call you first to make sure this decision wouldn't inconvenience you.
As do I, considering the several bookings I have that are impacted by this.

Nice to see you around these parts again, as usual adding relevant and interesting conversation to a topic.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I heard that this route will go seasonal and the 777 will likely fly somewhere with high offseason demand (like south america since its the peak season down there). Ultra long haul flights are hard to make money on, I can't even imagine how bad they must be in sept/oct
That would make sense. When I flew this route in July and August of last year, peak season for Asia, it was very full. November, not so much. In August things were actually so packed that I scored the op-up of legend: upgraded to 777 BE for the 14-hour flight. And my co-worker, on a separate ticket but the same flight, got the op-up too! And the most surprising part: we were both FOs at the time! That op-up seems to have used up most of my upgrade karma but I don't care... it was worth it.

Either way this is going to be a huge inconvenience for a lot of people. This route was the only reason I chose DL over UA. Now with UA having ORD-HKG direct, I may be forced to move to UA for most of my travel. 11 PM arrival on the connection from NRT just does not cut it That, or I can find a new job that doesn't require me flying to HKG multiple times per year. Already working on that, but it may be too late....
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by nystateofmind
From the east coast it is nice only having to do immigration at HKG rather than in NRT as well though with JFK-NRT going to 74S the advantage of a long trip on the 777 loses that advantage
I assume you mean transit security? I don't think anyone just transiting NRT has to go through immigration to get to their next flight.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Given that UA can seem to support EWR-HKG, SFO-HKG, and ORD-HKG nonstops, you would think DL would still want at least one U.S. nonstop from somewhere. JFK seems plausible, but given DL's history, it'll probably be ATL-HKG (and then subsequently canceled as well).

CX has 3x daily HKG-JFK, so if DL attempted this, they'd be going to battle with a truly world-class carrier, and could not compete in terms of either frequency/convenience or on-board service.
I wouldn't mind ATL so much either except it'll probably be harder to SWU both that flight and the domestic flights to which I connect.

Last edited by HongKonger; Jun 23, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.