Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Cancels DTW-HKG effective August 30th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Cancels DTW-HKG effective August 30th

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: miles and more
DTW to HKG cancelled from september

Wonder why they have pulled out so quickly.Any info/thoughts.Is China Southern planning to come to detroit as they have new code share from DTW to many us cities?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jayagopal50
Wonder why they have pulled out so quickly.Any info/thoughts.Is China Southern planning to come to detroit as they have new code share from DTW to many us cities?
They can't even come to YYZ which probably has more O/D traffic than DTT.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
They can't even come to YYZ which probably has more O/D traffic than DTT.
If any mainland Chinese carrier were to serve YYZ, one would expect it to be *A member CA. I suspect that we're getting close to announcements from CZ about network expansion. They've strongly hinted that they will start running their A380s to SYD. I can't find them on the schedule on their current routes if I look at next summer, so something's afoot. They should also be getting their first 787 in the next couple of months. A DL hub like ATL or DTW would make sense, since I suspect the government will be reluctant to let them fly to JFK with MU already serving it.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
If any mainland Chinese carrier were to serve YYZ, one would expect it to be *A member CA. I suspect that we're getting close to announcements from CZ about network expansion. They've strongly hinted that they will start running their A380s to SYD. I can't find them on the schedule on their current routes if I look at next summer, so something's afoot. They should also be getting their first 787 in the next couple of months. A DL hub like ATL or DTW would make sense, since I suspect the government will be reluctant to let them fly to JFK with MU already serving it.
Given that:

1) DL already flies DTW-PEK

2) U.S. pax tend to fly on U.S. carriers to China, and the perception (if not reality) among the Chinese carriers is that they will only be successful in markets where they can rely on Chinese pax to fill their planes

3) Obtaining a U.S. VISA remains a significant obsticle for Chinese visitors

I don't think we'll see CZ at DTW anytime soon. In fact, I don't think we'll see significant growth by CZ -- or any Chinese carrier -- into the U.S. market in the forseeable future.

Last edited by cptlflyer; Jul 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: EconoLodge Gold BedBug Elite
I'm going to miss this flight. It was a perfect flight to secure a 3-seat "row" of seats for personal use. I never found it to be bad at all for the 15 hour flight. This flight makes money from the cargo alone. The aircraft itself can be making MORE money in other markets. Gotta chase that greener dollar to make the DAL investors happy. I'm considering hopping on the 186/187 birds for one final hurrah instead of cutting through Tokyo.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tigers2007
This flight makes money from the cargo alone.
Oh, please. If this flight made money from cargo alone, there's no way they would be dropping it. Unless you work for DL or otherwise have insider info, I call BS. Sounds like you are just regurgitating Internet lore nonsense.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: EconoLodge Gold BedBug Elite
I cannot guarantee that they made an Über-profit but I can assure you that they made money on that flight. And yes - I am a former NWA employee.

Did you even read my post?

Delta and many airlines can make money serving many cities but they don't serve in every market. This is not a "non-profit community service". It is hard to justify stringing along a 777ER on the 15th longest flight in the world that is running at about 50% capacity when they can use that tin in markets that fill the seats. In essence, make more money per mile flown for the DAL shareholders. I have yet to ride from Japan or Korean to HKG in an non-full 777.

If my memory serves me right, the 777-200ER holds about 30 LD3's in addition to about a dozen pallets. If you're in Asia on your way across the big lake, come early to the airport and sit near the window. You'll witness an army of airline employees loading them into the gigantic cargo hold until its stuffed full.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:45 pm

As DL is unable to maintain HKG/US direct. Is it possible to fly extra flight between HKG/Japan?!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by tabeko
As DL is unable to maintain HKG/US direct. Is it possible to fly extra flight between HKG/Japan?!
The problem with this is that all the connecting flights out of NRT leave mid to late afternoon. First HKG-NRT flight leaves at 8 am and gets in around 1:30 pm. A second daily HKG-NRT flight would have to arrive after most connecting flights are already gone, making it not very useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.