Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Cancels DTW-HKG effective August 30th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Cancels DTW-HKG effective August 30th

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
SEA-HKG could work because there is a sizable E Asian population up north.
They would, again, be competing with CX/AC though.
Yes, this should be done very well. There is no competition against another airline. Some airline were never flies to SEA-HKG nonstop before.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cptlflyer
You forget that "transpacific" is actually "transpolar". DTW's flights to Asia go North, not West.
Just like AA 292/293 used to ;(
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
If you are flying this route at least four times a year from NYC, check your MQM's. Shouldn't you be up to PM?
Forgot to update my profile. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Mega Boris
Forgot to update my profile. Thanks for the heads up.
It's OK. I reached A3 G 10 or so days ago but they haven't sent me the card....
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by cdubose98
Anyway, to get back on topic, most of the a.net chatter seems to indicate that DTW-HKG is moving to JFK.
Fingers crossed for that one! RUMOR is that DL will introduce JFK-HKG next summer, timed with the opening of the new T4, scheduled for May 2013....
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
I'm so glad I read this! I was booked for that flight in December and the computer re-booked me on a route that was impossible. The DTW-NRT leg left before my leg from TPA-DTW even arrived! Fixed with one call to Delta.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Maybe so, but most of the country is still west of DTW including 8 of the 10 largest cities by population. It would make sense for DL to connect an Asian city from a more western location IMO since there is a larger catchment of potential customers.
4 of the 10 largest metropolitan statistical areas in the US are east of DTW: NYC, WAS, PHL, and BOS. Two more are south (but not significantly west) of DTW: ATL and MIA/FLL. Looks like plenty of potential customers to grab.

ETA: whoops, hadn't noticed how much had gone on since the post that I responded to. Not trying to beat a dead horse.

Last edited by cmn.jcs; Jun 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm Reason: See post
Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by cdubose98

Anyway, to get back on topic, most of the a.net chatter seems to indicate that DTW-HKG is moving to JFK.
Again more 'proof' that DL scans my posts and leaves me with no direct flights with lie-flats when I plan to travel. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ly-2013-a.html
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by BizJet
If you listened to DL's and UA's Q1 earnings calls and some of the recent investor presentations (there was one in Boston in the end of May), you'd hear both airlines discuss significant weakness they're seeing in China, compared to a much stronger demand environment in Japan. United has said one of the reasons DL posted stronger Q1 results than UA is that UA is over-exposed in China compared to Delta. Delta, which is much bigger in Japan than United, benefitted from strong Japan performance, while UA suffered due to lagging demand in China.
There's a dirty little secret that most people here are in denial about. The Chinese economy is worse off than the official government statistics indicate because the government statistics are basically made up. The slowdown eventually caught up with China, and the government has admitted this, but has not admitted to what extent. A major coal mine owned by a company I used to advise recently suspended production because there is a huge oversupply of coal right now due to reduced electricity demand. Before the global slowdown the Chinese were burning coal faster than they could dig it up. "Officially" electricity generation in China has risen modestly or remained flat year-on-year; in reality, it has decreased in all provinces. O&D from China has understandably suffered.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Fingers crossed for that one! RUMOR is that DL will introduce JFK-HKG next summer, timed with the opening of the new T4, scheduled for May 2013....
This would be AWESOME and I'd fly it every time!! Please, DL?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Really? When you've CX running the same route? Would status justify taking DL for you?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Skymiles
off topic but it would be awesome if DL started the ATL/JFK - BOM non stop again.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Really? When you've CX running the same route? Would status justify taking DL for you?
My personal preference is to use an airline that not only gets me to the US but also has the domestic network to get me around within the US.

I have had several bad experiences with "alliance" carriers not cooperating with one another on various matters that end up screwing me over somehow. That is why I hesitate to fly CX then AA within the US. Further reasons include (1) AA's uncertain future, (2) CX is more expensive (3) I believe it's harder to upgrade from Y to J on CX using miles and I don't think they have the equivalent of an SWU (I could be wrong in this one, please feel free to educate me if I am).

Although I wouldn't have to fly on *A carriers if I chose UA, (1) UA is typically more expensive on the routes I fly, (2) it's hard/impossible to guarantee SWU usage in advance (3) I like DL's overall product a lot better than UA's and (4) UA/CO is a mess since the merger.

There are a few other reasons probably not worth going into. I make no claim as to which airline is better and I understand that CX/SQ are far superior to any USA-based carrier. But for my situation, DL works so that's who I fly.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HongKonger
CX K class is cheaper than DL M and their J product is superior.
Did I mention that CX has F?
You can interline with AA in the US.
CX has more opup though.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
CX K class is cheaper than DL M and their J product is superior.
Did I mention that CX has F?
You can interline with AA in the US.
CX has more opup though.
Is it also cheaper ex-Asia? You can UG from CX K class? How--miles or certificates? How does one earn the certificates, if any? Is it possible to guarantee this in advance? Is the UG available more or less frequently than DL Z? Does it earn 150% MQM?

Maybe I should research CX more, though I really don't like interlining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.