Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Cancels DTW-HKG effective August 30th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Cancels DTW-HKG effective August 30th

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by HongKonger
If you go to DL.com and look at their schedule PDF they are showing a flight from HKG-ATL... I wouldn't mind that so much either except it'll probably be harder to SWU both that flight and the domestic flights to which I connect.
I'm not sure where you are looking exactly, but there is no HKGATL service published.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:05 pm

The flight never did well. Especially given the length, the yield was impossibly low. I wouldn't read any more into it. There's no evidence that HKG performance is an indicator that other TPAC routes from DTW are struggling. In fact, quite the opposite--looks like ICN is now daily, year-round, for the first time.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I'm not sure where you are looking exactly, but there is no HKGATL service published.
You are correct I misread the timetable. I will edit my post.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:15 pm

ATL-HKG seems unlikely as that wouldn't free up a 772/77L, which seems as good a reason to cancel this route as any other. SEA-HKG seems more likely. It is 6500 miles which is technically within the 332's range, and the 332 is a smaller plane so easier to fill. But who knows what schemes lurk in the hearts of DL route managers?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by cptlflyer
In fact, quite the opposite--looks like ICN is now daily, year-round, for the first time.
Which makes sense for at least two reasons: 1) auto-industry hub to auto-industry hub, and 2) SkyTeam hub to SkyTeam hub. It shouldn't be hard to fill ~250 seats or so on those reasons alone.

The thing with HKG is that the competition (UA) offers the daily flights from EWR, ORD, and SFO (and also NRT, like DL). After 8/30, DL will only offer flights via NRT, and still on the 777 with its reduced capacity compared to the 744 that typically flew that route when DL inherited it.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
I assume you mean transit security? I don't think anyone just transiting NRT has to go through immigration to get to their next flight.
No, just stay in the transit. You don't have go through Immigrations. Your bags is automatically to put on next flight out. You don't have to claim the bag in NRT. This is not your final destination cities.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by reluctanttraveler
ATL-HKG seems unlikely as that wouldn't free up a 772/77L, which seems as good a reason to cancel this route as any other. SEA-HKG seems more likely. It is 6500 miles which is technically within the 332's range, and the 332 is a smaller plane so easier to fill. But who knows what schemes lurk in the hearts of DL route managers?
Stuff the 332. I need the lay-flats. HKG-NRT-MSP/DTW/JFK-XXX on a refurbished 74S will do just fine for me, thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheMoose
Given that UA can seem to support EWR-HKG, SFO-HKG, and ORD-HKG nonstops, you would think DL would still want at least one U.S. nonstop from somewhere. JFK seems plausible, but given DL's history, it'll probably be ATL-HKG (and then subsequently canceled as well).

CX has 3x daily HKG-JFK, so if DL attempted this, they'd be going to battle with a truly world-class carrier, and could not compete in terms of either frequency/convenience or on-board service.
CO and UA just recently merged. They will start cutting routes within a couple of years just like DL did a couple of years after the merger with NW. I don't know what guarantees UA and CO made to get their merger approved but I can guarantee you their guarantees aren't worth the paper they're written on.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by HongKonger
CO and UA just recently merged. They will start cutting routes within a couple of years just like DL did a couple of years after the merger with NW. I don't know what guarantees UA and CO made to get their merger approved but I can guarantee you their guarantees aren't worth the paper they're written on.
Perhaps, but CO/UA each had at least one U.S. - HKG nonstop pre-merger. It stands to reason they'd maintain at least one or two of the existing ones, right?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMoose
Perhaps, but CO/UA each had at least one U.S. - HKG nonstop pre-merger. It stands to reason they'd maintain at least one or two of the existing ones, right?
It's apparent that CX dominates the nonstop market betwen HKG and the USA and that UA is able to make a go of it with its nonstops and that DL is having trouble succeeding in a fairly crowded market. There are certainly worse places than NRT to connect.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
As some have mentioned this is just probably a seasonal route cut. I'm sure you'll see it come back next year.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
That sucks because connecting in NRT is about as miserable as it gets. Maybe one day Delta will try out ATL-HKG. I would think that would be a very profitable flight, especially since the southeast is lacking an option to southern China direct. I would think with the large Hong Kong/Chinese population in the southeast this would be very profitable.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by vincentharris
That sucks because connecting in NRT is about as miserable as it gets. Maybe one day Delta will try out ATL-HKG. I would think that would be a very profitable flight, especially since the southeast is lacking an option to southern China direct. I would think with the large Hong Kong/Chinese population in the southeast this would be very profitable.
PVG didn't work....twice!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by zsmith2
PVG didn't work....twice!
PVG was a horrible idea, it is arguably one of the worst connection airports. While HKG is probably one of the best connection airports in the world. There is also a way larger demand to go to HKG over PVG
Old Jun 23, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by zsmith2
As some have mentioned this is just probably a seasonal route cut. I'm sure you'll see it come back next year.
No, it is not. DTWHKG is permanently discontinued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.