FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Cancels DTW-HKG effective August 30th
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:43 pm
HkCaGu

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The Cantonese speaking population in YVR comes from many places, though. I know people that came from CAN/SZX/SGN/HAN/HAK that can speak Cantonese, but the main one is HKG. I can get Chinese newspapers in other Canadian cities too (YYC/YEG being an example, with dushi, ga wah bo, etc.)
I'm talking about Chinese "civilizations". Those five cities are the only ones to be "civilizations". Just as the whole PRD area would fly through HKG (except if CAN has nonstops), people from secondary cities in North America fly through those five gateways anyway, as those five are the only ones with competition. The Asian carriers can sell you a domestic tag-on just as competitively as the US carriers selling you the whole itinerary.

In secondary cities, daily papers are often trucked/flown in from the print shops in those five cities, e.g. LAS, HNL, SEA (from LAX/SFO etc.) Local papers are rarely daily. I've seen a paper in LAS with an ad selling KE LAS-ICN, i.e. one stops to many Chinese cities--and no need to go through LAX.