Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Changed my reward flight, charged me more miles.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver

The wife and I booked a reward flight to San Juan for August back in Feb. The cost was 35K per ticket and we were to land around 2pm. I got the message that my itinerary changed and we were now going to arrive around 7pm. We were planning on spending the afternoon touring so I called the Diamond line to see if there were earlier options. The Diamond agent booked us on a flight that arrives at noon. That was acceptable. No mention of anything else.
Logged in to check my account and see a re-deposit of 35K miles and a charge for 42K miles per passenger. The agent made no mention of this at all when I was on the phone with her. I feel like I booked the award at the 35K price, and thats what I should have to pay. They changed my itinerary without any choice on my part, then charged me more miles without notice to get an itinerary closer to what I originally booked.
Should I get a refund for the mile difference? Thanks.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I would submit an inquiry via dl.com or via @deltaassist on Twitter...I'd think the DM line would tell you if they're going to take more miles...
Old May 2, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: DL FO
I would contact DL and see what they say. I'm assuming the agent also didn't mention anything about a change in fare class/code either. My guess is that they will refund you the difference. Sounds like they should, anyway.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by rwoman
I would submit an inquiry via dl.com or via @deltaassist on Twitter...I'd think the DM line would tell you if they're going to take more miles...
I've had reward itineraries changed in the past, and was never charged a milage difference. I felt kind of decieved that the agent didn't even mention the change in milage cost. She was real casual, to the tone of: "we have a 7:30am flight that arrives at noon, will that work?". Thats it.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I'd be shocked if this was not corrected with minimal follow up, though you should not have to do that...
Old May 2, 2012, 8:15 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I always preface my award schedule change requests with "I have no interest in paying more miles or switching to a medium or high award."

Since your request was predicated on a schedule change initiated by Delta, you should be able to get your miles back with a phone call to Delta.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lrbenko
I've had reward itineraries changed in the past, and was never charged a milage difference. I felt kind of decieved that the agent didn't even mention the change in milage cost. She was real casual, to the tone of: "we have a 7:30am flight that arrives at noon, will that work?". Thats it.
This sounds like the agent was too lazy to call and have additional award inventory opened for you at your original cost in miles. Arriving five hours later than originally planned gives you the right to pick flights that work after the schedule change. You should complain until this is fixed.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:32 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Spiff
I always preface my award schedule change requests with "I have no interest in paying more miles or switching to a medium or high award."
I noticed last Saturday, that on an award trip for Sept, I was originally scheduled SFO/CVG/PIT (redeye). Apparently, the SFO/CVG redeye was eliminated, so the intelligent auto rebooker booked me - SFO/ATL/CVG/PIT!!!

I called to be changed to SFO/ATL/PIT (same SFO/ATL flight), and I know that the ATL/PIT wasn't available in "low"

I made the comment above, and it was done properly, with no additional miles deducted.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
I hate the hipshot 'complain' reaction, and prefer to give the agent the benefit of the doubt - perhaps they didn't reissue it properly, and THOUGHT it went through as an even exchange as a schedule change like it should have?

I'm not saying an enquirery isn't needed, but even Premium Sales and Service agents are still human, and make the odd mistake. It'll get fixed, I'm sure.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl
I hate the hipshot 'complain' reaction, and prefer to give the agent the benefit of the doubt - perhaps they didn't reissue it properly, and THOUGHT it went through as an even exchange as a schedule change like it should have?

I'm not saying an enquirery isn't needed, but even Premium Sales and Service agents are still human, and make the odd mistake. It'll get fixed, I'm sure.
That could be the case. I just thought this instance was odd. Wanted to see if other people had similar experiences. In my post, I ask if I should be able to get the miles difference, so I don't think I was really hipshot 'complaining', but thanks for your input.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Here's the obvious answer

Complain and request compensation. You'll receive at a minimum, 7,000 skymiles per passengers for your troubles, which makes up for the difference in award ticket pricing/miles.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: DL MM, DL DM, Marriott PP
I've had this happen before and I was able to select just any flight without being charged any extra. In my case though, they cancelled one of my flights and I had to take a different route.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
Originally Posted by lrbenko
That could be the case. I just thought this instance was odd. Wanted to see if other people had similar experiences. In my post, I ask if I should be able to get the miles difference, so I don't think I was really hipshot 'complaining', but thanks for your input.
I meant using the word 'complain' - asking if there's been a mistake is different (and I'm positive it was) - it happens, unfortunately, but can be corrected pretty simply.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Now we have an entire thread about "what if's" when the OP hasn't even picked up the phone, called DL and asked what happened & why. Mistakes happen -- the way to fix them is to call.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM
You can probably handle this with a phone call back to the Diamond line. Because it was a schedule change you should not have been charged any additional miles. It was likely just a mistake on the part of the first agent. They should be able to fix it easily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.