Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by RBrownTN
+1 Same situation - I don't twit so having another option would be helpful.
https://twitter.com/signup
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by ChazDawg
I'm not sure your intention was to quote "Terms of Endearment"...but damn that made me laugh!

ChazDawg
One of John Lithgow's better movie lines...
Old Sep 7, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nichojo
You miss the point - why should we have to begin learning and using yet another communications channel, just to get good customer service? At this point, Delta expects me to figure out which of, what? 4? 5? 6? different communications channels I'm supposed to use to reach them when I have an issue?
  • 1-800-325-1551
  • http://www.delta.com/
  • Redcoats/GAs/TAs in the terminals,
  • whatever their silly Facebook page is,
  • whatever their silly MySpace page is (does anyone use MySpace?)
  • whatever their silly blog is,
  • whatever their Flickr stream is,
  • whatever their Youtube channel is,
  • twitter
Are they going to have a ham radio presence next?

On a serious note, all they should need is a telephone number for voice contact and a web presence with a robust real-time text chat presence (like service desks have). Either I pull out my phone and call Delta, or I go to http://www.delta.com/ and click on "live help" or whatever and begin an online chat session. I shouldn't have to guess whether I need to post on their wall, friend them, like them, follow them, stalk them, twat them, drop on them, plant corn in their farm, or start a new game of WWF with them, just to get protected on another flight during IROPS.

Oh, and while they're at it, if they'd spend 1/100th the energy they spend on social sites fixing the stupid flight notification software, maybe we'd actually get notifications and wouldn't have to bother them via social media
Old Sep 7, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL PM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
You miss the point - why should we have to begin learning and using yet another communications channel, just to get good customer service? At this point, Delta expects me to figure out which of, what? 4? 5? 6? different communications channels I'm supposed to use to reach them when I have an issue?
  • 1-800-325-1551
  • http://www.delta.com/
  • Redcoats/GAs/TAs in the terminals,
  • whatever their silly Facebook page is,
  • whatever their silly MySpace page is (does anyone use MySpace?)
  • whatever their silly blog is,
  • whatever their Flickr stream is,
  • whatever their Youtube channel is,
  • twitter
Are they going to have a ham radio presence next?

On a serious note, all they should need is a telephone number for voice contact and a web presence with a robust real-time text chat presence (like service desks have). Either I pull out my phone and call Delta, or I go to http://www.delta.com/ and click on "live help" or whatever and begin an online chat session. I shouldn't have to guess whether I need to post on their wall, friend them, like them, follow them, stalk them, twat them, drop on them, plant corn in their farm, or start a new game of WWF with them, just to get protected on another flight during IROPS.

Oh, and while they're at it, if they'd spend 1/100th the energy they spend on social sites fixing the stupid flight notification software, maybe we'd actually get notifications and wouldn't have to bother them via social media
This is all about choice. While you personally choose not to Tweet, Twat, Twit, Twank or Twizzle, others may. I appreciate that Delta gives us choice. You have the choice to work with the communications means that works best for you.

c|d
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Prime Minister David Cameron said, "Too much Twittering makes a TWAT".

That being said OP, you keep mixing things and that is the problem here. If the guy was speaking loudly, rudely, whatever that is one thing. The fact that you believe that he should be using Twitter is another. You do realize that if everyone was as "smart" as yourself that the Twitter channel that you utilize would take as long if not longer than phoning, right?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:20 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by hfly
Prime Minister David Cameron said, "Too much Twittering makes a TWAT".
It would be reasonbale to expect people to defer to his expertise in the area of being a twat. That man comes straight out of the Ministry for Silly Walks.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
It would be reasonbale to expect people to defer to his expertise in the area of being a twat. That man comes straight out of the Ministry for Silly Walks.
I think that is unfair to the Ministry of Silly Walks to lump them in with the chinless wonder.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by photojojo
Here's what really gets me...

I have had DL bend over backwards and do completely absurd things for me - for free - WITH JUST SILVER/GOLD STATUS - by being polite and patient with them.

- $400 to go buy cold weather gear when my bags didn't arrive at my destination city when I was out and back on the same day.
- Held a 777 to LAX for me.
- Checked 550 pounds of gear at no cost.
- Changed a non-refundable TATL ticket to depart the following day after my wife got in to a car accident 5 hours before departure without any fees.
- Got comped status after already having a status match.

You really do catch more flies with honey. This jackass could have achieved the same results by just being calm, cool and collected, but he chose to act like an ... - got what he wanted and was positively reinforced to do it again.
It is not just on Delta. About a dozen years ago I was flying on United out of Jackson Hole and due to terrible snowstorms across the country there were bad delays and the flight I was on was weight restricted. Due to a computer glitch some of the confirmed seats in our group were being listed as standby. By working with the GA and not giving any grief she gave everyone in the group confirmed seats for that same day (though now with an added stop in Dulles), worked hard to get everyone seated as close together as possible, gave everyone $600 in United vouchers (even those whose tickets had been listed as standby) and when the weight restriction was lifted put us back on our originally scheduled departure from Jackson Hole to Denver so that way we would have more time to make the connecting flight

Now getting to Delta I was flying with my parents LAX-ATL-LGA (when we had booked Business Class was available for low miles and the 77L was operating LAX-ATL though prior to departure it was changed to a domestic 767-300) and due to mechanical delays in LAX we missed our connecting flight. Everything to NYC was booked since it was Mother's Day. After a lot of searching the best the representative at the B Concourse service desk at Atlanta could do to get us out that evening was to take 3 seats in coach on a delayed JFK flight where the previously booked pax were going to miss the now delayed flight. Delta put the bags on the next flight to LGA even though we were not on that flight. However, since my father remained calm with the rep she not only put in a report with Delta alerting them to the fact that we were now downgraded to coach but also since our flight would be arriving too late at JFK to realistically get to LGA that evening the baggage office was notified to expect the bags and my father was given a number to call when he was like 5 minutes out and they would have someone bring the bags to him so he would not have to pay for parking at LGA

Last edited by nystateofmind; Sep 8, 2011 at 9:18 am
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
Now getting to Delta I was flying with my parents LAX-ATL-LGA (when we had booked Business Class was available for low miles and the 77L was operating LAX-ATL though prior to departure it was changed to a domestic 767-300) and due to mechanical delays in LAX we missed our connecting flight. Everything to NYC was booked since it was Mother's Day. After a lot of searching the best the representative at the B Concourse service desk at Atlanta could do to get us out that evening was to take 3 seats in coach on a delayed JFK flight where the previously booked pax were going to miss the now delayed flight. Delta put the bags on the next flight to LGA even though we were not on that flight. However, since my father remained calm with the rep she not only put in a report with Delta alerting them to the fact that we were now downgraded to coach but also since our flight would be arriving too late at JFK to realistically get to LGA that evening the baggage office was notified to expect the bags and my father was given a number to call when he was like 5 minutes out and they would have someone bring the bags to him so he would not have to pay for parking at LGA
Did it work out as planned when your Dad called Delta at LGA? Were the bags there waiting?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (former GM, fighting way back), Paid Delta SC Member, Hertz Gold, Gold HHonors
Originally Posted by cardood
This is all about choice. While you personally choose not to Tweet, Twat, Twit, Twank or Twizzle, others may. I appreciate that Delta gives us choice. You have the choice to work with the communications means that works best for you.

c|d
No argument that having choices is good, but it begs a question - does Delta use the same resources to each communications channel to help it's customer in similar timelines - or is it more whichever technological fad is new? I'm all for advancing technologies, but there is a limit and I keep a low online profile for a reason.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I think that is unfair to the Ministry of Silly Walks to lump them in with the chinless wonder.
Oh I don't know. Think of the genius involved, all those years ago, that they so accurately portrayed the twit who is now the British PM.

I really only have minimal interest in foreign politics, but every time I see that boy on the television I think to myself that he's trying really, really hard to sound like a leader.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by cardood

c|d
I would agree. Note though, that there are anecdotal reports that people are getting better customer service through the twitter channel than through other channels. My point is that Delta should deliver consistent, high-quality customer service across all channels, so that I don't have to guess which channel to use in order to get high-quality customer service. For example, we've all seen a lot of poor quality responses to e-mails. Move this person who's answering all the twitters to the e-mail department and have them answer e-mails instead. Move the e-mail person over to the twitter department and have them handle the twitters. Mix it up a bit.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by RBrownTN
I'm all for advancing technologies, but there is a limit and I keep a low online profile for a reason.
(emphasis added)
+1
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:37 am
Suspended

Dl elite arrogance

Disclaimer: Forgive me for this DYKWIA rant, I don't endorse this type of commentary EVER, which is why I am not posting under my usual FT account.

I will begin by saying, I have NO status in any elite program anymore with the exception of lifetime DL FO by being a 1MM+. Yet, the majority of my adult life, since the early 1980s, I have been brand loyal to DL (domestic) and UA (transatlantic) with various hotel loyalties over the years as the winds blew with our corporate contracts. My final year of DL elite status, as a DM, expired in February of this year. Now that I am older, I have come to appreciate that elite status in an airline, hotel, or rental car company program does not equal elite anything in the real world, yet so many of you (us) act like you're (we're) something special because we travel a lot for work.

Last night, I flew into ATL and spent the night at the Airport Hilton where I was nearly knocked down by some eager young buck with a HHonors Diamond card while I was paying for a nice upper floor room out of my own pocket.

This morning, the "gate lice" as y'all call them nearly ran me over waiting on my ATL-DTW flight while I was patiently waiting to board on my paid F fare only to board and find that I'm sitting in 1C next to one of the very people that was so rude to the GA and flight crew as she tried to get to her seat. Her actions and statements reeked of "DYKWIA."

As I now sit in the SC at DTW waiting for my 4 PM DTW-AMS flight, I am amused and horrified at the actions of a DM who loudly complained that he couldn't bring 3 guests into the SC and demanded a supervisor and while reading this board, of which I have been a long time member, with so many "I know more than you" comments and "DYKWIA" comments targeted to people who simply have questions to try and improve their travel situations.

Pardon me for this DYKWIA rant, but I've now, in my older age, forgone my frequent travel for the ability to be in executive management and direct those who do the frequent travel in our company. But, I've been there and done that and frankly don't like what this world is coming to that people treat others so poorly not recognizing who some of those non-status travellers around you actually are, people who are super elites in life but not in your precious travel programs.

Think about that the next time you travel and you're railroading some "gate lice" "kettle" or "lowly FO" because you think you've accomplished something because you racked up most of your miles with your AmEx Reserve and a few BIS travel segments.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
Originally Posted by DLDYKWIA
Disclaimer: Forgive me for this DYKWIA rant, I don't endorse this type of commentary EVER, which is why I am not posting under my usual FT account.

I will begin by saying, I have NO status in any elite program anymore with the exception of lifetime DL FO by being a 1MM+. Yet, the majority of my adult life, since the early 1980s, I have been brand loyal to DL (domestic) and UA (transatlantic) with various hotel loyalties over the years as the winds blew with our corporate contracts. My final year of DL elite status, as a DM, expired in February of this year. Now that I am older, I have come to appreciate that elite status in an airline, hotel, or rental car company program does not equal elite anything in the real world, yet so many of you (us) act like you're (we're) something special because we travel a lot for work.

Last night, I flew into ATL and spent the night at the Airport Hilton where I was nearly knocked down by some eager young buck with a HHonors Diamond card while I was paying for a nice upper floor room out of my own pocket.

This morning, the "gate lice" as y'all call them nearly ran me over waiting on my ATL-DTW flight while I was patiently waiting to board on my paid F fare only to board and find that I'm sitting in 1C next to one of the very people that was so rude to the GA and flight crew as she tried to get to her seat. Her actions and statements reeked of "DYKWIA."

As I now sit in the SC at DTW waiting for my 4 PM DTW-AMS flight, I am amused and horrified at the actions of a DM who loudly complained that he couldn't bring 3 guests into the SC and demanded a supervisor and while reading this board, of which I have been a long time member, with so many "I know more than you" comments and "DYKWIA" comments targeted to people who simply have questions to try and improve their travel situations.

Pardon me for this DYKWIA rant, but I've now, in my older age, forgone my frequent travel for the ability to be in executive management and direct those who do the frequent travel in our company. But, I've been there and done that and frankly don't like what this world is coming to that people treat others so poorly not recognizing who some of those non-status travellers around you actually are, people who are super elites in life but not in your precious travel programs.

Think about that the next time you travel and you're railroading some "gate lice" "kettle" or "lowly FO" because you think you've accomplished something because you racked up most of your miles with your AmEx Reserve and a few BIS travel segments.
Wow. Stings a little to hear....as I am sure we all are (well, at least I am) guilty of throwing out the DYKWIA attitude in this way at some point.

Good post, gives me something to mull over (think Golden Rule) next time I don't get my pre-flight beverage how/when I want.

THANKS !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.