FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:09 am
nystateofmind

Originally Posted by photojojo
Here's what really gets me...

I have had DL bend over backwards and do completely absurd things for me - for free - WITH JUST SILVER/GOLD STATUS - by being polite and patient with them.

- $400 to go buy cold weather gear when my bags didn't arrive at my destination city when I was out and back on the same day.
- Held a 777 to LAX for me.
- Checked 550 pounds of gear at no cost.
- Changed a non-refundable TATL ticket to depart the following day after my wife got in to a car accident 5 hours before departure without any fees.
- Got comped status after already having a status match.

You really do catch more flies with honey. This jackass could have achieved the same results by just being calm, cool and collected, but he chose to act like an ... - got what he wanted and was positively reinforced to do it again.
It is not just on Delta. About a dozen years ago I was flying on United out of Jackson Hole and due to terrible snowstorms across the country there were bad delays and the flight I was on was weight restricted. Due to a computer glitch some of the confirmed seats in our group were being listed as standby. By working with the GA and not giving any grief she gave everyone in the group confirmed seats for that same day (though now with an added stop in Dulles), worked hard to get everyone seated as close together as possible, gave everyone $600 in United vouchers (even those whose tickets had been listed as standby) and when the weight restriction was lifted put us back on our originally scheduled departure from Jackson Hole to Denver so that way we would have more time to make the connecting flight

Now getting to Delta I was flying with my parents LAX-ATL-LGA (when we had booked Business Class was available for low miles and the 77L was operating LAX-ATL though prior to departure it was changed to a domestic 767-300) and due to mechanical delays in LAX we missed our connecting flight. Everything to NYC was booked since it was Mother's Day. After a lot of searching the best the representative at the B Concourse service desk at Atlanta could do to get us out that evening was to take 3 seats in coach on a delayed JFK flight where the previously booked pax were going to miss the now delayed flight. Delta put the bags on the next flight to LGA even though we were not on that flight. However, since my father remained calm with the rep she not only put in a report with Delta alerting them to the fact that we were now downgraded to coach but also since our flight would be arriving too late at JFK to realistically get to LGA that evening the baggage office was notified to expect the bags and my father was given a number to call when he was like 5 minutes out and they would have someone bring the bags to him so he would not have to pay for parking at LGA

Last edited by nystateofmind; Sep 8, 2011 at 9:18 am