Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2012, 2:52 pm

I am a GM and was 0% success at precheck

I decided to get GE since it was free with my Amex platinum card. I was approved for GE last Saturday, updated my delta profile, and got the three beeps for the first time today.

It doesn't seem that GM gets it for you automatically. I'll be PM on miles after my flight next Monday.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by squatch
I am a GM and was 0% success at precheck

I decided to get GE since it was free with my Amex platinum card. I was approved for GE last Saturday, updated my delta profile, and got the three beeps for the first time today.

It doesn't seem that GM gets it for you automatically. I'll be PM on miles after my flight next Monday.
My partner is GM and is at 50% without GE. YMMV,
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCBob
Are you traveling exclusively domestically? I am a GE and a Platinum Medallion member. On both DL and UA, I have received TSA pre-check (3 beeps and LLL) 100% of the time on domestic itineraries and 0% on international itineraries (whether on a domestic flight connecting to an international flight or international flight without a domestic segment).
I was told by last TSA officer that "often" no PC for those coming or going on international itins.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by sethb
Pre is available in D, I don't know about C (I always go to D, the bus connection is very short).

The GlobalEntry number should suffice. You should also check that the name is exactly correct.
No Pre in C the last time I was there (maybe 3 weeks ago). The cabbie accidentally went up the wrong ramp and I ended up taking the landside bus back to D after asking if there was a Pre lane and being told no.

And the airside buses are definitely a quicker overall transfer than the landside ones, even counting the walk down that ramp in D. Plus it's kind of cool to weave around the planes by those gates.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Blumie
Sorry if this has been asked and answered:
I am no longer a regular DL flyer and do not currently have status.
I have been using pre-check extensively when flying on AA.
I am flying LGA-MSY-LGA next week on DL.
Is pre-check available ex-LGA? [Edited to add: ok, I read enough of this thread to see that pre-check is available ex-LGA!]
I edited my profile at delta.com to add my Global Entry number. Is this all I need to do to be pre-check eligible on DL?
(BTW, I haven't flown DL ex-LGA since they took over the US terminal. Does the LGA-MSY flight always depart from the same terminal, or do I need to check that morning to see which terminal to go to? I feel like such a newbie!!)
Pre is C only for now.

Check for terminal. We fly MSY at least once a month and have had BP's printed at check in show a "C" gate. We've always departed and arrived at a "D" gate.

You GE Number is sufficient. Make sure your name is exactly the same both places.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
I don't know if this is the way the program is supposed to work or not, but in several cases I have used my Global Entry card and Passport card as my identification and the TSA agents at the appropriate airports (where pre-check is available) automatically shunted me to that line. Have 100% success so far. The Global Entry ID picture is horrible but the Passport ID card photo is better. I am still unsure about the TSA pre-check as I have heard different things, but so far so good.

Other day in Seattle (as I posted on AA forum), the pre-check line was so long that I used the elite line at a regular security checkpoint and it was just as fast.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pharmalady
I don't know if this is the way the program is supposed to work or not, but in several cases I have used my Global Entry card and Passport card as my identification and the TSA agents at the appropriate airports (where pre-check is available) automatically shunted me to that line. Have 100% success so far. The Global Entry ID picture is horrible but the Passport ID card photo is better. I am still unsure about the TSA pre-check as I have heard different things, but so far so good.

Other day in Seattle (as I posted on AA forum), the pre-check line was so long that I used the elite line at a regular security checkpoint and it was just as fast.
I don't believe that is the correct procedure and they are supposed to always scan your BP and base admittance on the 3 beeps.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 1:35 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
SEA Changes

Just a heads up for anyone going through SEA. PreCheck is moving from the N checkpoint to the central checkpoint. This hopefully will make everything a bit faster and less crowded.

From Alaska's PreCheck page:

On October 21, 2012 the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will move the PreCheck lane from the North checkpoint to the Central checkpoint at the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. Look for airport signage that will guide you to the Central checkpoint PreCheck lane.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
My partner is GM and is at 50% without GE. YMMV,
yeah, i was at 0%. i tried every time after hitting GM and never got the three beeps until i added GE.

for those in NY or those who transit JFK regularly and are interested in GE, the interview schedule at JFK has LOTS of empty space on it. it was less than two weeks between applying for GE and being approved after my interview.

since i travel through LGA and MCO every week and both have PreCheck, it should have been no-brainer to get GE. i should have done it sooner.

i just decoded my BP for tomorrow and it has the '3' on it, so i'm 2-for-2 since adding my GE number.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Just a heads up for anyone going through SEA. PreCheck is moving from the N checkpoint to the central checkpoint. This hopefully will make everything a bit faster and less crowded.

From Alaska's PreCheck page:
This is a definite improvement!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott Platinum,Avis First
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
This is a definite improvement!
Hopefully this also means it will be open past 8pm - the lines at the south checkpoint for the red eyes have been killer again lately.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Pre is C only for now.
ITYM "D only".

And it was broken on Friday afternoon.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, LY Silver
Originally Posted by Blumie
Sorry if this has been asked and answered:
I am no longer a regular DL flyer and do not currently have status.
I have been using pre-check extensively when flying on AA.
I am flying LGA-MSY-LGA next week on DL.
Is pre-check available ex-LGA? [Edited to add: ok, I read enough of this thread to see that pre-check is available ex-LGA!]
I edited my profile at delta.com to add my Global Entry number. Is this all I need to do to be pre-check eligible on DL?
(BTW, I haven't flown DL ex-LGA since they took over the US terminal. Does the LGA-MSY flight always depart from the same terminal, or do I need to check that morning to see which terminal to go to? I feel like such a newbie!!)
I don't know about LGA, but they appear to be working on the PreCheck entry at Concourse D at MSY. Perhaps, it will be up by the time you return.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: DL-PM, SPG-Gold; HH-Dia
PIT precheck line

Flew out of PIT for the first time since the summer, and the TSA situation is just fuglier and fuglier...that would now be because of the TSA pre-check present at main security.

alternate security now how has fixed "rush hour" open times, and precheck has it's own line. So the script is you can walk up to the empty precheck line...if you don't get the beep-beep-beep you can cut the entire sky priority/first line.

Data point: my first time through last week saw the pre-check and didn't get my hopes up, just because PIT is the most retarded airport on the ground. I'm GE and DL GM, but randomizer denied me lol. was flying PIT-MSP-NRT and asked the obvious "I'm here to explain why everyone is 'cutting the line'" guy if he was certain it wasn't because of my int'l itinerary and he confirmed what I expected to hear it could clear for my domestic leg to MSP.

Anyway glad its @PIT now but GE is almost as bad as the SkyClub now @JFK (NRT-JFK-PIT).

So for PIT: I'm 0 for 1
LAX I think I'm 1 for 2 but precheck wasn't open one the second attempt.
Don't remember for JFK, LGA, ATL I dont think remember if its at S. Security checkpoint

Last edited by rayjr13; Oct 22, 2012 at 8:40 am
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by rayjr13
Data point: my first time through last week saw the pre-check and didn't get my hopes up, just because PIT is the most retarded airport on the ground. I'm GE and DL GM, but randomizer denied me lol. was flying PIT-MSP-NRT and asked the obvious "I'm here to explain why everyone is 'cutting the line'" guy if he was certain it wasn't because of my int'l itinerary and he confirmed what I expected to hear it could clear for my domestic leg to MSP.
Not exactly clear from your post, but if you have an international leg on your PNR, you should not get PreCheck. Doesn't matter if your first leg is domestic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.