Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FC passengers - attitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2011, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Everything that can be said has been said, except....

I don't understand the calls to have the FA intervene. I think that puts them in an awful position. The most they can do is ask nicely anyway, so why not do it yourself?
Actually if they deemed that the 3-year old had to be seated with one of his parents for safety reasons, they would have the authority to make seat changes.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: WN A-List, HHonors Diamond
I'm really amazed by a lot of this because I don't see how it wouldn't resolve itself.

If I suddenly find myself sitting next to a 3 year old without a parent in tow, I would happily change my seat and probably offer without asking.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
Keep 3 year olds in Y where they belong (and I do not care if you 3 year old is some darling angel, it seems everyone's kid is some sort of darling angel these days, but always seem to get the crying pissed off angels when i fly premium) and problem solved.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by OnTheSlopes
I don't have any kids, but I fly enough. In my experience, there are some people that have to have "their seat" (no judgement, some people want a certain seat and won't move - I ask nicely, then move onto the next group). But, plenty of people (myself included) would basically swap anyone for any seat at any time. Plenty of people (including myself) get upgraded into separated seats EVEN on the same PNR. I am fortunate that my success rate is 100% on finding SOMEONE willing to switch. As a "thank you", I will always put myself into the less desirable seat of the situation (bulkhead, last row of FC, etc). Just asking nicely has always worked for me, and never has an FA had to get involved.

Just play nice! That's all it takes!
You are making a judgement call on what you think is the least desirable seat. I fly MD88s most of the time 1C is my favorite seat on that plane. To others It is probably the worst seat. Remember the most desirable seat belongs to the butt of the beholder.

BTW if asked nicely, I will make a switch to any aisle seat in FC. If assumed I will move, that is another story.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
It is a horrible lesson for the child to think that it's acceptable to comment on how someone does you a favor. This parent acts as though others' feelings are not valid and don't matter. Pity the teachers who have to deal with this child if the child sees and mimics this behavior. Imagine this child wanting another child's crayons and using the father's stance of giving me the crayons isn't good enough, I don't like how you gave me the crayons. At least the child has the excuse of actually being a child when acting childishly..
Life & the freedoms contained therein are a two way street. I have the right to ask you. You have the right to say yes or no. Additionally, I have the right to have an opinion about not only what you decided but HOW you executed it. Misunderstanding or forgetting this very important detail has gotten many of our flying brethren kicked off of their respective flight. If a member of a flight crew gives you a direct order that you bitterly/begrudingly comply with & said crew member is offended/feels threatened by your reaction…you’ve got a problem…REGARDLESS of who’s truly right.

As for me being "bitter" about what happened, why did you leave the rest of that paragraph off in what you quoted on my post?
Have NO IDEA what you are talking about. I quoted your ENTIRE post! FYI: I just broke it up into pieces to deal with specific elements on at time…like I’m doing now. If you posted more, I don’t have the secret decoder glasses to see it. Sorry.

Was it because my having switched seats at least twice since then proved you were wrong? Hysterical. You are so interested in making your point that you intentionally ignore facts. What the non-Rev did to me was wrong, but I'm hardly "bitter" over it, which is evidenced by the fact that I still willingly switch seats when asked.
What the non-rev did to you was hardly relevant to this topic. There you were tricked into switching CABINS…(I agree detestable & there’s a special corner of hell for people who perpetrate such shenanigans.) but something entirely different as switching rows within F. Some have correctly pointed out for the passengers that the OP encountered, it had less to do with row 2 or 3 but rather window or aisle. (which, judging by some of the over-the top reactions for them, switching from window to aisle is like switching from TRUE INTERNATIONAL FIRST (read suite) to the compartment where they keep the live animals.)

PPP
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, DL DM MM. National Exec... and my CC qualified for Plat. Status!
Originally Posted by ACEDAD
I'm really amazed by a lot of this because I don't see how it wouldn't resolve itself.

If I suddenly find myself sitting next to a 3 year old without a parent in tow, I would happily change my seat and probably offer without asking.
+1

I think most any reasonable person would do the same.

The problem is that there are a more than a few folks in here that believe that the kids do not belong in First. Silly in my opinion, but I guess they are entitled their own opinions, however misguided and selfish.

There are also plenty of people on FT that like certain seats and work very hard to get them. If you watch and watch to snag your preferred seat just to have someone walk up and ask you to undo your hard work and time just to suit them, they find that offensive for what ever reason. That is probably the Old Guy in the story.

You also might consider how many requests FT'ers get to do this and you will reaslise that it can defiantely get old. Seeing the same behavior over and over without out reason can be incredibly frustrating.

For future reference, if anybody needs to switch with me all you need to do is ask. I may not jump for joy at the request to move from a 3B to 1D, but I will swap with you.

Thanks and Happy Travels!
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Actually if they deemed that the 3-year old had to be seated with one of his parents for safety reasons, they would have the authority to make seat changes.
And the GA was able to accomodate that, but in Y.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
And the GA was able to accomodate that, but in Y.
I don't think downgrading was an acceptable option in this case. Seats are not guaranteed. Pax are sometimes moved for 'weights and balances' or to accommodate bassinet pax, etc.

The FA would have simply (assuming they agreed a 3yo couldn't sit alone) would have organized a seat exchange. This would have been in the name of 'safety.' Done.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:25 am
2mg

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
I don't want to sound harsh, I love kids, have some of my own, however, why should I have to move my preselected seat because of your child? I hate the aisle, never sit in an aisle and wouldnt want to be in an aisle. I know it is for a child, but it is not MY child and why should I give up the enjoyment of my flight for yours?

Many of us choose a specific seat on a plane for specific reasons, sorry there was an airline switch and your 3 yr old (who would not even remember or enjoy the fact that she was in first) is no more important than me and my status.

I hate when people think they are entitled to special privileges just because they are traveling with a child. I personally do not think children belong in FC in the first place,
+1
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold
Are the moderators on hiatus? The ad-hominem attacks alone in this thread warrants a lock to facilitate some cooling off.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:38 am

^

Originally Posted by A4K
I understand your frustration, but honestly you can't just expect others to move for you just because you are traveling with a child. The GA offered you seats together - In coach. I hate to be harsh on this, but if you wanted seats together you should have taken the coach seats.

I sometimes ask others to switch seats if I am traveling with a companion, and usually people are willing. I only do it if I am switching for "equal" seats. Like aisle for aisle or bulkhead for bulkhead. I don't want to put another pax in a situation where they chose a aisle in row two and I ask them to go to a window in a bulkhead. I think that is rude.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:46 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
agree

thezipper
Delta co-moderator

Originally Posted by loyalStarwoodfan
Are the moderators on hiatus? The ad-hominem attacks alone in this thread warrants a lock to facilitate some cooling off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.