Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FC passengers - attitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: 1FS Frequent Diner
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Sadly the old NW 757's haunt me weekly.... You can paint a new logo on the plane, but the inside is still much the same....

^^
I hear you. As soon as I step onboard and realize it, my head sinks a little.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Just like you agreed to that iTunes license agreement when you installed iTunes on your computer as part of your iPhone activation. You DID read the iTunes license agreement, didn't you?
I'm only on page 23. I have a dozen whiteboards covered with disambiguations and subreferences, and fully expect to finish the complete license agreement sometime next month (by which time a new one should be out).

Fortunately, the Delta CoC is much clearer! Seriously, though, I've been in this situation about a dozen times on DL, and the GAs and FAs have done absolutely nothing to help. Note - none of these situations were self-induced; they were IROPs, equipment swaps, or Delta's legendary spate of blowing away seat assignments a day or two before the flight, so in effect, I did NOT get the seat I reserved (none FC).

At least on WN, when faced with this situation, the FAs bribed folks with drink coupons to help me out.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
the OP was offered seats together in coach. upgraded passengers have no rights to complain I'm afraid. It would have been a completely different story if the OP had paid FC, then upgraded passengers should be moved to make way for the family to sit together. but I guess airlines are too gutless to implement policies like that...
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Being nice does not necessarily mean that you have to abide by everyone else's wishes and desires. There is nothing wrong with politely saying no.
HAHA - well, you don't know me that well! I totally agree that being nice doesn't equal being a yes-man/woman, and certainly don't mean to imply that if I did..but in a cabin of 12-24 people, SOMEONE will be willing to move if approached and asked nicely. I agree, I have gotten burned more than once. One trip I was solo and decided to swap seats in Y (exit) cause a husband and wife were separated. I was mislead as to HIS seat and ended up in middle exit...trapped under the armpit of an ATL Falcons Linebacker. Fortunately, he was quite nice, but neither of us was comfortable. But I just try to live by the golden rule. Now, someone who cops an attitude with me vs. asking me...I agree with you. I will not feel like moving. Fortunately, I find that very uncommon. YMMV.

Just a funny serendipitous story to share in this thread (slight hijack, but still on topic)...I was once on a DEN-SLC CJR900 and myself and my SO were upgraded into 2D and 3D. I honestly felt bad because there are so few options for swaps on a 700/900, but I asked and was prepared for "no". A VERY nice guy agreed and moved to 2D out of 3C and I could tell he wasn't all that excited about it, but realized I was traveling with someone and he did it. My point, he THEN looked over at 2A and it was one of his friends...in fact, 2A had performed the marriage ceremony for Mr. 2D and Mrs. 2D!!!! 2C realized and asked if 2A wanted to swap. So, this VERY nice guy that didn't really want to swap with me, but did, ended up seeing someone very special to him that he hadn't seen in a long time. They were both so happy and it worked out so perfectly for all of us, even though the guy didn't REALLY want to swap with me. Never got his name, but maybe he's a FTer and is reading this. Would he have realized who 2A was from 3C, probably. But I really do look at it as how a simple good gesture can return so much karma. As we got off the plane he looked back at me, HE thanked ME, and held his book up as he laughed and said "wow, I thought I was going to finish this book this flight! I'm glad I didn't!"

Ok, enough of this mushy stuff - continue the flaming!!!
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:59 am

Programs: DELTA
Originally Posted by jk2
What is wrong with you people? It wasn't just swap seats for fun or something else. They clearly saw that the swap was for child and the safety/comfort other passengers. I also blame Delta since it was their responsibility to accommodate child and mother together but FC people should be more understandable. Moreover, I believe that all of them got their seats as a complimentary upgrades as well.
Originally Posted by Poopdeck90210
Sadly, some people just don't like small children... :-( I have a close friend who falls into this category and was confronted by a mother traveling with a small child to seat swap in FC and he decided to be a "stick in the mud" and refused to swap... In his defense, he opted to be difficult largely because the mother did a presumptive swap of seats ahead of his arrival to FC. Even though he is my friend, I think the mother should have "called his bluff" and pretend to be okay with the toddler sitting for the whole flight next to him... ;-) Knowing my friend, he would have then relented quite readily!

-A
-A

Last edited by Poopdeck90210; Sep 11, 2011 at 1:05 am
Old Sep 11, 2011, 1:50 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by popppa
^^^
I guess I’m just the kind that if I ask you to do something for me, I don’t expect you to try to make me feel bad about asking you. Do it, or don’t do it. Whatever, but don’t try & punish me for asking. I can respect a jerk who says no a lot more than the guy who “does me a favor” & begrudgingly says yes but b#tches & moans about it (or otherwise makes me aware of his dissatisfaction). I perceive THAT to be the OP’s beef.
as bill said we have no idea how the op approached the people he asked, and i agree with everything you say above. but in his own words, he's basing his attitude here based on the face of the person he asked, which, undeniably, can be misinterpreted. the op's attitude and words here can not.

You REALLY think that the OP "misinterpreted" 2B? …come on we ALL know the difference between a & a .
we like to think we do. but i can think of more than once where the first has been misinterpreted, and i'm sure you can too. for example, sometimes a genuine smile is seen as condescending, or a smirk, or not genuine. we do know the op's attitude here though. regardless, it's petty to come to an internet forum and complain about someone who did what you asked. :P
Old Sep 11, 2011, 2:57 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by popppa
3- How exactly did the OP set a bad example for his 3 year old daughter by attempting to get it seated with it’s mother? He asked someone to switch seats, he didn’t urinate on a fellow passenger.

5. This is probably why you are so bitter about this subject. You haven’t gotten over what happened to you back then. Pity.
It is a horrible lesson for the child to think that it's acceptable to comment on how someone does you a favor. This parent acts as though others' feelings are not valid and don't matter. Pity the teachers who have to deal with this child if the child sees and mimics this behavior. Imagine this child wanting another child's crayons and using the father's stance of giving me the crayons isn't good enough, I don't like how you gave me the crayons. At least the child has the excuse of actually being a child when acting childishly.

As for me being "bitter" about what happened, why did you leave the rest of that paragraph off in what you quoted on my post? Was it because my having switched seats at least twice since then proved you were wrong? Hysterical. You are so interested in making your point that you intentionally ignore facts. What the non-Rev did to me was wrong, but I'm hardly "bitter" over it, which is evidenced by the fact that I still willingly switch seats when asked.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 3:46 am
jk2
Original Poster

Guys, thanks all for replies! I got your point. Now I realize that I had to ask the guy from row 4 first to swap, but the boarding was in rush (the flight was delayed significantly and boarding was a mess).

Now I see that in sake of everybody, if this happens again, we'll proceed to coach rather than asking to swap seats.

Such situation happens second time in the row with us. Month ago we were on international trip, all legs in J. Tickets were purchased few months before departure. We all had seats together (wife and kid together, I'm next to them) in row one, in order to minimize kid's contacts with other pax. When it was time to check-in for the first flight, I saw that instead of 1A,B,C we got 2B,3B,4B seats. No equipment change. For the following legs we got seats together, but not in row 1. And for the first leg, the FA said she wouldn't help to accommodate us.

Honestly, when we asking to swap seats I didn't realize that seat preference is so important. For me (especially in FC) all seats are fine, and especially for 1 hour 39 minute flight.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 4:48 am

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Talking

Ya know, I typically pull out the Orville Redenbacher's for these types of threads, but I actually think this one deserves something a little better: macadamia - popcorn caramel cluster thingies. Anyone care to join me?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:29 am

Gate Agent

Totally unprofessional attitude by the GA . Please take the time to relay the GA's unprofessional and apathetic attitude to corporate.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by jk2
Guys, thanks all for replies! I got your point. Now I realize that I had to ask the guy from row 4 first to swap, but the boarding was in rush (the flight was delayed significantly and boarding was a mess).

Now I see that in sake of everybody, if this happens again, we'll proceed to coach rather than asking to swap seats.

Such situation happens second time in the row with us. Month ago we were on international trip, all legs in J. Tickets were purchased few months before departure. We all had seats together (wife and kid together, I'm next to them) in row one, in order to minimize kid's contacts with other pax. When it was time to check-in for the first flight, I saw that instead of 1A,B,C we got 2B,3B,4B seats. No equipment change. For the following legs we got seats together, but not in row 1. And for the first leg, the FA said she wouldn't help to accommodate us.

Honestly, when we asking to swap seats I didn't realize that seat preference is so important. For me (especially in FC) all seats are fine, and especially for 1 hour 39 minute flight.
A friendly suggestion that has been widely known in the FT community for years, especially with DL.... Check your seats online nearly daily!!!! Burn me once, shame on you.. Burn me twice, shame on me!!!

These issues are sometimes easier to fix before day of travel.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Everything that can be said has been said, except....

I don't understand the calls to have the FA intervene. I think that puts them in an awful position. The most they can do is ask nicely anyway, so why not do it yourself?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by jk2
I Flew with my wife and almost 3 year old daughter TPA-CVG last Wednesday. All of us are elites. My wife and daughter are on the same reservation. They were upgraded in advance to FC and got 1A,1B seats (together), I was in 2A. However, about 24 before the departure, the aircraft was changed to the one, where there are no 1A and 1B seats (MD88). As a result, they got 3A and 4D seats (separated). Since, it is obvious that 3year old cannot seat without supervising, I called Delta and was told that on the phone they cannot change seats. They told me that only GA can do it. We arrived at the airport long before the departure time and I politely asked GA to accommodate them together. However, the GA refused to help. Her words were - "FC is full, if they want to seat together, I can move them to coach." Very nice answer!

OK, I thought that as usual we have to deal with it on our own. But I was very surprised to see the reaction to swap seats (from 2B to 3A or from 3B to 2A). The old guy in 2B said that I had to ask the guy in 3B first, the guy in 3B said that he doesn't want to seat in the front row and wouldn't swap. Finally, the guy from 2B moved to the 3A, but his face said everything what he thought about this swap. What is wrong with you people? It wasn't just swap seats for fun or something else. They clearly saw that the swap was for child and the safety/comfort other passengers. I also blame Delta since it was their responsibility to accommodate child and mother together but FC people should be more understandable. Moreover, I believe that all of them got their seats as a complimentary upgrades as well.
Something is missing here ... There were three of you, yet you seemed to nly see if the wife or daughter could shift. Where were you seated, and why wasn't the seat next to you (or maybe it was the kids seat) an option? You talk about rows 2 and 3, but one of you had a seat in row 4

I agree with other posters that you should be thankful someone shifts for you, whether it is at your request or that of an airline employee. It is a favor for you, more likely than not, an incnvenience to them (even if minor, short lived or temporary)
Old Sep 11, 2011, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Everything that can be said has been said, except....

I don't understand the calls to have the FA intervene. I think that puts them in an awful position. The most they can do is ask nicely anyway, so why not do it yourself?
+1

95+% of the time, I will be happy to switch seats for another equal seat. (A bulkhead with restricted legroom is not an equal seat, and neither is the last row where recline is limited, especially on a red-eye). But it has been clear in my experience that asking the FA to ask passengers to move is done only to add weight to the request.

Ask me yourself.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by edscholl
as bill said we have no idea how the op approached the people he asked, and i agree with everything you say above. but in his own words, he's basing his attitude here based on the face of the person he asked, which, undeniably, can be misinterpreted. the op's attitude and words here can not.

we like to think we do. but i can think of more than once where the first has been misinterpreted, and i'm sure you can too. for example, sometimes a genuine smile is seen as condescending, or a smirk, or not genuine. we do know the op's attitude here though. regardless, it's petty to come to an internet forum and complain about someone who did what you asked. :P
I agree with almost everything you said. I didn't see any malice in the OP's post. I saw him as someone trying to make changes that he didn't think would be that big of a deal under the circumstances. (reuniting a mother & 3 year old preciously seated together.) His follow-up post (#88) shows that my assessment was pretty much on target.

FWIW, I think people who saw negativity, entitlement, rudeness, or thought it was petty to express his shock at how it all went down are largely people unaware of a strange breed of traveler for whom a window or an aisle just isn’t that big of a deal.

PPP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.