Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FC passengers - attitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: Airline free agent; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jk2
Moreover, I believe that all of them got their seats as a complimentary upgrades as well.
1. How do you know this?

2. What does this have to do with anything?

3. Isn't this how your wife and kid got their upgrade?

Regardless of how polite you think you were, I suspect your sense of entitlement came through loud and clear to your fellow passengers.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 1:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
the guy agreed to swap & you are dissing him?.....goodness gracious!
Old Sep 10, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by djjohn97
I will always swap with someone when they ask; however, it is annoying when the swap is to the first row because there is on underseat storage.

I would ask the person in the first row to move back to the second row instead of asking someone from the second row to move up to the first row. I think you will have better chances of swaping if you do it that way.

I know in your case you did ask the person in the first row (the old guy). But it sounded as if you asked him first.
I agree it does seem some people want to swap the worse seat instead of the better one. Why would I want a bulkhead window from my mid row aisle seat?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
The problem here is DL's IT. .
Aren't most things?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Can't speak for any one else, but I don't want any DL employee, GA, TA, FA or otherwise changing my pre-selected seat for any reason. I don't even like it when a FAM forces me to lose my seat but I'll let that one slide.

IME it isn't that difficult to ask people to move seats. I have done as the "old guy" (like age is relevant?) did and responded to a seat change request that I would prefer not to lose my seat but if they can't get any one else to move I would - which is exactly what the old guy did. On short flights I don't mind changing seats or even moving to a window from an aisle which I volunteered to do last week unsolicited when I figured out a couple was separated. But sometimes I just don't like certain seats and prefer others and I refuse to move. You crisis is not my crisis.

Should the GA should have disrupted others to appease you - absolutely not.

Originally Posted by HongKonger
The problem here is DL's IT.
Couldn't disagree more. How is an application supposed to be aware of the various combinations of some people prefer aisle, some people may be sitting together but on different records or preference for bulkhead or desire to avoid it. The best approach is to keep people in their assigned seats and only move around those who no longer have a seat. I often travel on a paid ticket while a companion is on an award ticket. Sometimes co-workers are next to me on a different ticket. We have seats together. Does the system know we are together? No. There is no computer logic that could be programmed to figure that out.

Last edited by bwhite; Sep 10, 2011 at 2:14 pm
Old Sep 10, 2011, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by bwhite
Can't speak for any one else, but I don't want any DL employee, GA, TA, FA or otherwise changing my pre-selected seat for any reason. I don't even like it when a FAM forces me to lose my seat but I'll let that one slide.

IME it isn't that difficult to ask people to move seats. I have done as the "old guy" (like age is relevant?) did and responded to a seat change request that I would prefer not to lose my seat but if they can't get any one else to move I would - which is exactly what the old guy did. On short flights I don't mind changing seats or even moving to a window from an aisle which I volunteered to do last week unsolicited when I figured out a couple was separated. But sometimes I just don't like certain seats and prefer others and I refuse to move. You crisis is not my crisis.

Should the GA should have disrupted others to appease you - absolutely not.

Couldn't disagree more. How is an application supposed to be aware of the various combinations of some people prefer aisle, some people may be sitting together but on different records or preference for bulkhead or desire to avoid it. The best approach is to keep people in their assigned seats and only move around those who no longer have a seat. I often travel on a paid ticket while a companion is on an award ticket. Sometimes co-workers are next to me on a different ticket. We have seats together. Does the system know we are together? No. There is no computer logic that could be programmed to figure that out.
Sure it could. Allow people to keep their preferences in their SkyMiles profiles and allow linked PNRs to actually mean something.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bwhite
Uhh, The OP indicated that the wife & daughter were on the same reservation. If Delta's IT can't handle that "logic", then we are all worse off than we thought.

PPP
Old Sep 10, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Couple of thoughts here:
  • On the MD-88 with 14 FC seats, some people consider 2B to be a very desirable seat, as it actually offers a bit more leg room because of the bulkhead configuration and you don't have anyone reclining into you. I don't think I would have tried asking 2B to move.
  • As others have noted, it's better form to try to do the swap of more desirable seats for less desirable seats, so you should have tried to swap 2A for one of the row 3 or 4 seats. The drawback is you only had window seats to swap, and some people only prefer aisle.
Rather than attempting to deal with this yourself, I would have pre boarded with the kid, and enlisted an FAs help. The FA could then have planted your wife and the kid in 4C/D during pre board for example and when 4C showed up, she could have smoothly apologized for the seating mixup, explain that there was nothing to do at this point because FC was full and it was a mother/child that couldn't be split and put 4C into 3A or where ever. Problem solved and nobody would have been the wiser.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 4:50 pm
jk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Huh? FC was full. What would you have the GA do?
by "Delta" I meant not the GA, but their IT system who handles reassigning seats. As I said before, they had seats 1A, 1B then Delta has changed the aircraft where there are no first row on the left side. So, you understand that they have to reassign whole FC cabin. My seat was also changed as well.

By the way, the FA said that she could not do anything only if passengers would like to swap by their own.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jk2
I Flew with my wife and almost 3 year old daughter TPA-CVG last Wednesday. All of us are elites. My wife and daughter are on the same reservation. They were upgraded in advance to FC and got 1A,1B seats (together), I was in 2A. However, about 24 before the departure, the aircraft was changed to the one, where there are no 1A and 1B seats (MD88). As a result, they got 3A and 4D seats (separated). Since, it is obvious that 3year old cannot seat without supervising, I called Delta and was told that on the phone they cannot change seats. They told me that only GA can do it. We arrived at the airport long before the departure time and I politely asked GA to accommodate them together. However, the GA refused to help. Her words were - "FC is full, if they want to seat together, I can move them to coach." Very nice answer!

OK, I thought that as usual we have to deal with it on our own. But I was very surprised to see the reaction to swap seats (from 2B to 3A or from 3B to 2A). The old guy in 2B said that I had to ask the guy in 3B first, the guy in 3B said that he doesn't want to seat in the front row and wouldn't swap. Finally, the guy from 2B moved to the 3A, but his face said everything what he thought about this swap. What is wrong with you people? It wasn't just swap seats for fun or something else. They clearly saw that the swap was for child and the safety/comfort other passengers. I also blame Delta since it was their responsibility to accommodate child and mother together but FC people should be more understandable. Moreover, I believe that all of them got their seats as a complimentary upgrades as well.
Sorry but this has nothing to do with attitude. I am on 200 flights a year and I book FC to get specific seats. I like the aisle and I like the bulkhead and that is what I buy. If you have an aisle for an aisle then no problem but otherwise I say no politely. I would also not order a pepperoni pizza and then swap you for an anchovy because that is what your kid wanted. I can also tell you that I think it is rude for somebody who did NOT book far enough in advance or actually PAY for FC to get the seats they want to then complain that people wont move around for you. That is the height of arrogance to be honest.

How would you like it is the OPPOSITE happened? Somebody with a younger child wanted to sit together and they asked you to split up your family? It is for the "children" after all...
Old Sep 10, 2011, 4:54 pm
jk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A4K
Relax. All I meant was that if he wanted FOR SURE seats together he should have taken the coach seats. When you get onto the plane and ask people, that is not going to be sure bet.

The OP was in a position where he had to ask a pax to move from an aisle to window - The other night I was flying with my wife BDL-MSP, we both ended up with windows in F, I DID NOT ask anyone to move because I though it would be rude to ask someone to take a window when they had an aisle.

The complaint by the OP is about other passengers not accommodating him. This is DL's issue, not an issue for the guy in 3B.

Also want to add - I never EXPECT people to move for me. If I ask and they say no problem then I say thank you and we move. If I ask and they don't want to, I move on with my day. In this case the OP expected people to move for him, which I think is rude.
I hardly see your point. You are talking about your wife, who can obviously seat alone, while I'm talking about a 3 year old, who is obviously wouldn't seat alone. When I travelled with my wife (before we had a child) and got separated on the flight, I never asked other pax to move in order to seat with my wife. We can certainly survive 2 hour flight without each other hand.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jk2
I hardly see your point. You are talking about your wife, who can obviously seat alone, while I'm talking about a 3 year old, who is obviously wouldn't seat alone. When I travelled with my wife (before we had a child) and got separated on the flight, I never asked other pax to move in order to seat with my wife. We can certainly survive 2 hour flight without each other hand.
How about this: Why did you not book the seats you wanted? Everyone else seemed to be able to get the seat they wanted. The reason is you either waited too long or picked a flight that was too sold out. What did you expect?

THIS attitude drives me nuts.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 5:01 pm
jk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stripe
I suspect that everyone except 1A and 1B had their seats preserved in the swap and that 3A and 4D were the only ones left. Given the choice of sitting next to a three year old or moving to a window seat, Mr. 4C should have had no problem moving. I certainly will move to accommodate kids split from parents, especially if its no fault of theirs.

Before upgrades have cleared for my wife and kid, I was in 1A seat. Then, Delta kicked me off from 1A to 2A and 1A and 1B were given to them. So, it seems that Delta doesn't always preserve seats.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by clacko
the guy agreed to swap & you are dissing him?.....goodness gracious!
exactly.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
I know it is for a child, but it is not MY child and why should I give up the enjoyment of my flight for yours?

Many of us choose a specific seat on a plane for specific reasons, sorry there was an airline switch and your 3 yr old (who would not even remember or enjoy the fact that she was in first) is no more important than me and my status.

I hate when people think they are entitled to special privileges just because they are traveling with a child. I personally do not think children belong in FC in the first place.
Perhaps you indeed did not want to sound harsh, but you sure came across as a quintessential a s s! We are talking about a 2 hr flight! Come on, what "enjoyment" would you give up on a short DL flight? Drop your "DYKWIA" status attitude and try to be more civilized.

As for kids in FC, too bad for you -- my children have been flying with me in FC since they were under one, and will continue to do it. And I bet they are more cultured and better behaved than you (and yes, they have status too, even though they are usually flying on paid F fares ... making less seats available for comp upgrades for PAXs like you).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.