Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FC passengers - attitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by EyeTraveler
...but having a family myself, I would be more than willing to accomodate a mom and child together even if it put me in a less "desirable" seat. Seriously, come back to coach with the rest of us every once in a while.... When I am lucky enough to sit up front, I could care less which seat it is....
seriously, someone did move to accomodate the op, but he still started a thread asking "what is wrong with you people" due to something the op perceived "his face said".

does he want a song and dance to go along with someone doing him a favor?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by popppa
WOW!
you may think it's a small inconvenience, and i have no problem with the op asking folks if they would mind switching seats, but when you are asking someone to do something for you. it is good to keep in mind that they are still doing you a favor by accommodating. however small you think that favor is, don't act like it's small, and don't have an attitude because you perceive something in their face - which, for all we know, might have been a misinterpretation.

after all, the only one that we know for sure had an attitude about the situation is the op!
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Trauma1
I'm not. Just making an observation and I'm not asking anyone to correct themselves.
Observations & Value Judgments are two different things. You implied that he used the word "elite" to convey superiority instead of indicating that everyone in his party was a very frequent flier (Medallion). MOST people here understand what is meant & withhold any prejudice unless syntax dictates otherwise. @:-)

I do. Haven't seen any YTD.
"...just keep on livin'"
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Just curious - could we have a show of hands here, including the OP:
How many here are familiar with Delta's Contract of Carriage?

Note the interesting part that says "Delta may ... change seat assignments ... at any time."

Remember, you agree to be bound by the CoC every time you purchase a ticket on Delta. Just like you agreed to that iTunes license agreement when you installed iTunes on your computer as part of your iPhone activation. You DID read the iTunes license agreement, didn't you?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 1MM USAir SP Marriott Plat National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by edscholl
you may think it's a small inconvenience, and i have no problem with the op asking folks if they would mind switching seats, but when you are asking someone to do something for you. it is good to keep in mind that they are still doing you a favor by accommodating. however small you think that favor is, don't act like it's small, and don't have an attitude because you perceive something in their face - which, for all we know, might have been a misinterpretation.

after all, the only one that we know for sure had an attitude about the situation is the op!
Perhaps some are mispercieving the OP as well? After the fact he had an attitude...we do not know how he approached the other passengers. I agree that if someone want you to do them a favor, you need to ask nicely, as a supplicant! Perhaps the OP did exactly that? The attitude that disturbs me is the attempt to make every assumption against the OP to justify the "what is mine is MINE" mentality. At the end of the day, it's a seat.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I find this thread very entertaining...reminds me of something hmmm.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_61
Perhaps some are mispercieving the OP as well? After the fact he had an attitude...we do not know how he approached the other passengers. I agree that if someone want you to do them a favor, you need to ask nicely, as a supplicant! Perhaps the OP did exactly that? The attitude that disturbs me is the attempt to make every assumption against the OP to justify the "what is mine is MINE" mentality. At the end of the day, it's a seat.
^^^

I guess I’m just the kind that if I ask you to do something for me, I don’t expect you to try to make me feel bad about asking you. Do it, or don’t do it. Whatever, but don’t try & punish me for asking. I can respect a jerk who says no a lot more than the guy who “does me a favor” & begrudgingly says yes but b#tches & moans about it (or otherwise makes me aware of his dissatisfaction). I perceive THAT to be the OP’s beef. He wasn’t asking someone to switch CABINS he was asking someone to move ONE ROW to help a mother & 3 year old child to sit next to each other. In reality, I doubt ANY of the people that the OP asked REALLY wanted to sit next to a 3 year old girl separated from their parent for 2 hours (sorry, I know for most of you a 2 hour flight is a short jump, but for anyone pre-pubescent…it’s an eternity.).

You REALLY think that the OP "misinterpreted" 2B? …come on we ALL know the difference between a & a .
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:22 pm

Programs: 1FS Frequent Diner
Observations & Value Judgments are two different things. You implied that he used the word "elite" to convey superiority instead of indicating that everyone in his party was a very frequent flier (Medallion). MOST people here understand what is meant & withhold any prejudice unless syntax dictates otherwise. @:-)
You're making a lot of (incorrect) assumptions.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
I don't want to sound harsh, I love kids, have some of my own, however, why should I have to move my preselected seat because of your child? I hate the aisle, never sit in an aisle and wouldnt want to be in an aisle. I know it is for a child, but it is not MY child and why should I give up the enjoyment of my flight for yours?

Many of us choose a specific seat on a plane for specific reasons, sorry there was an airline switch and your 3 yr old (who would not even remember or enjoy the fact that she was in first) is no more important than me and my status.

I hate when people think they are entitled to special privileges just because they are traveling with a child. I personally do not think children belong in FC in the first place,
Aren't you nice!
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by jk2
Finally, the guy from 2B moved to the 3A, but his face said everything what he thought about this swap. What is wrong with you people?
If the man moved, that should have been the end of the story. I see no reason to start a thread to then bash him for his attitude rather than just being grateful for his behavior.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:50 pm

You're making a lot of (incorrect) assumptions.
Really….then let’s break it on down…

Observations & Value Judgments are two different things..
I’m not “assuming they are different. They are not synonyms. The CAN exist concurrently. But my statement, as quoted, is true.

You implied that he used the word "elite" to convey superiority instead of indicating that everyone in his party was a very frequent flier (Medallion)..
Common usage of the word “Elite” in the FlyerTalk Delta Forum (including PMNW & PMDL) is understood to mean a frequent flyer who has crossed one of the 25K, 50K, 75K, or 125K mile threshholds, BUT using PMNW terminology. It is also used as an adjective for “superior”. If you did not mean one of these two commonly accepted meanings, I sincerely apologize…but have no idea how you expected ANYONE to understand what you meant. A further explanation would be most helpful.

MOST people here understand what is meant & withhold any prejudice unless syntax dictates otherwise.
Do we really need to start a poll to confirm this. I didn’t think so. (The withhold prejudice thing was meant tongue-in-cheek.)

Anything else?

PPP
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
So do those people still fly on an airline named Northwest?
Sadly the old NW 757's haunt me weekly.... You can paint a new logo on the plane, but the inside is still much the same....

^^
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP, UA 1P
... he was asking someone to move ONE ROW...
No, he was asking someone to swap an aisle for a window. Frankly, I detest window seats, because I get up and use the lav quite a bit. With coach seats together as an option for them, I wouldn't have done the swap either.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by OnTheSlopes
I don't have any kids, but I fly enough. In my experience, there are some people that have to have "their seat" (no judgement, some people want a certain seat and won't move - I ask nicely, then move onto the next group). But, plenty of people (myself included) would basically swap anyone for any seat at any time. Plenty of people (including myself) get upgraded into separated seats EVEN on the same PNR. I am fortunate that my success rate is 100% on finding SOMEONE willing to switch. As a "thank you", I will always put myself into the less desirable seat of the situation (bulkhead, last row of FC, etc). Just asking nicely has always worked for me, and never has an FA had to get involved.

Just play nice! That's all it takes!
There's a special place in heaven for people like you....

I used to be that guy. I still am, in many ways....

If I ever travel with companion, I do not expect people to change seats to accommodate. I will ask, provided that I can offer them a better seat. If u/g to two windows, I would not even think of putting the aisle person in the position of guilt to trade. I tend to plan ahead( i know this case would be different due to equip change), but I block at least one desirable seat if possible.....

I have often changed seats to accommodate others - many times on my own due to observation.... However, I have often denied people due to an expectation/presumption that I am less entitled to a seat than they are. I have reasons why I may not swap, many due to being burned in the past for being the nice guy. If I decline, that should be the end of it...

Being nice does not necessarily mean that you have to abide by everyone else's wishes and desires. There is nothing wrong with politely saying no.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: 1FS Frequent Diner
Anything else?
Yes, those were the wrong assumptions. You incorrectly assumed which assumptions I was referring to.

You assumed I was making a value judgement. I was not.
You assumed that I didn't think most people knew what an elite was (hence the poll remark). I never said that.
You assumed I was holding prejudice. I was not.

The other points you made I have not disagreed with. I'm not saying that people who use the term elite are wrong, nor am I saying that people should stop saying the word elite. And I do appreciate being nostalgic, but there is no apparent nostalgia in the OP. The observation is that people use the word elite even though nothing in our program literature/paraphernalia uses that as a label.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.