Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FC passengers - attitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
I blame the initial problem on Delta's IT that should group seats of a reservation together in a reshuffled lineup and move the singles afterwards.
But once, time lapses, I don't blame the delta personnel. They can't just randomly move people.

I do not understand the first row reference since you were swapping 2 for 3. Still you were asking people to go from aisle to window or vice versa. not an easy swap for some.

Your daughter is THREE. She probably occupies half an economy seat and with the arm rest up, your wife and your daughter would have been very comfortable in economy. No one is even morally obligated, let alone legally, to move for your family.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by glbetrotter
I never said that I am better. Different -- that I may be.

I know, however, that I would switch seats (as I have many times) to keep a family together.

Some "elites" read much too much into their status, whereas it is not an intellectual or a physical accomplishment. Not an accomplishment at all, in fact ...
Frankly I see very few DYKWIA moments when I travel and I on average 3x per months, so maybe a dozen flights a month.

I pretty much always switch. For a family with little kids I wouldn't think twice.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold
Can everybody please go back on their meds?!

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Sorry, but you are waaaaaaay out of line. Where was the lack of compassion from the other passengers. A passenger was asked to move, said he would do it if a single other passenger was unwilling, that passenger was unwilling, and the passenger moved. Sounds compassionate to me.
1. Doing something BEGRUDGINGLY is NOT the same as compassion. Compassionate people do things cheerfully & without attitude & nasty looks.

The gentleman who asked the passenger to move and was accommodated chose to come online and insult the man who moved for him. Rather that be thankful for the other passenger's good will, the OP paints the other passenger as rude because he didn't blow rainbows and lollipops up the OP's butt. The OP sets a horrible example for the child involved, teaching the child not to be grateful, but to demand more, more, more because it's for me, me, me.
2. The OP came online & complained about the unwillingness of the other passengers & the DISDAIN with which the passenger who did move did it. That is NOT a lack of gratitude, it a lack of understanding as to WHY his request was met by so many flat-out refusals & ONE extremely resentful consent.

3- How exactly did the OP set a bad example for his 3 year old daughter by attempting to get it seated with it’s mother? He asked someone to switch seats, he didn’t urinate on a fellow passenger.

The slams to the OP were well earned. Maybe the OP didn't recognize the crass behavior, but once it was pointed out, the OP should have acted like a human being and apologized, rather than tried to justify his poor behavior..
4. Does somebody already have the user name “SHOOT THE OP!“? Can we create a separate forum for people who are obsessed with attacking the OP. Particularly saddening are all of the asinine comments made by people who didn’t even bother to read (& UNDERSTAND) the content of the first post. Once again for the socially impaired: It is NOT “crass behavior” to kindly ask if someone will switch seats with you!

For the record, the last time I moved so a young child could sit next to a parent, I was taken advantage of by a non-Rev (two flight crew told me it was a non-Rev and that was confirmed after the flight, too) who swapped a coach seat for my F, not informing me that other family members were sitting in F who could have taken the Y seat and given me my (paid for) F seat. Since then, I've had two flights where teens and parents weren't sitting together in F and I was asked to move by the parents. Both times I did so quickly. Both times the teens grumbled that they didn't want to sit next to the parent!
5. This is probably why you are so bitter about this subject. You haven’t gotten over what happened to you back then. Pity.

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
The growing sense of entitlement in this day and age is very disheartening. In addition, mocking the guy that put the OP's needs ahead of his own is quite telling of the OP's attitude toward others. To the OP.
6. Do you REALLY think that asking someone if they will switch seats (that were previously reserved together but became separated by an equipment swap) so that a 3 year old girl doesn't sit alone is expressing a sense of entitlement? SERIOUSLY!?

In closing: Have the oxygen masks deployed?…because everyone is behaving like the cabin just depressurized & all sanity & humanity have been sucked out!

PPP
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trauma1
You had my at "elite".

I've said this once before, but the proper terminology is Medallion Member; PM, DM, etc. Nowhere on our status are we referred to as elites, but yet so many people are calling themselves elite. And that tells me all I need to know about them.

I'm normally a stickler for accuracy, but this just makes it so much easier to spot the DYKWIAs, especially in the airports.
I think it comes from the fact that these tiers in the DL program and virtually all other programs - hotels, car rentals, are generically referred to as 'elite levels.'
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Stripe
I suspect that everyone except 1A and 1B had their seats preserved in the swap and that 3A and 4D were the only ones left. Given the choice of sitting next to a three year old or moving to a window seat, Mr. 4C should have had no problem moving. I certainly will move to accommodate kids split from parents, especially if its no fault of theirs.

However, DL created the problem and DL should have done more to help. The GA's response was unreasonable and should be reported. The FA could have been more helpful. About 15 years ago my wife, I and two very little kids were in Y from TOL to ATL. None of us had any status. Our pre-reserved seats had disappeared by the time we got to the gate, and it was a very full flight. The GA worked diligently to get me and the kids together in the very back row, and put my wife in F. The FAs apparently were aware of our issue and were very nice to me and the kids. It worked out perfectly. How things have changed.
Where's the beef?

1. As you point out, your family was acommodated, but in the last row of Y. If you care that much, that's what you do. OP cared more about the freebie UG, so he's complaining about "grumpy" people. In his case, the GA offered adjoining seats in Y, which is what OP paid for in the first place so it's not even a downgrade.

2. I flew with 3-1/2 year olds and we couldn't make the seating work together, but we were one row apart, as would have ocurred here. It's not as though the child was a UM on an intl. trip. She would have been 3 feet away. The kids loved it and, believe it or not at age 7-1/2, they loved it and still talk about wanting to fly "alone" again.

3. Not in one place does OP mention asking the FA for help. They aren't mind readers.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Wow, many of u are cold-hearted people. it was a 2 hour flight and first class to first class swap. For a child. Are u kidding me?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Originally Posted by saneman
No one is even morally obligated, let alone legally, to move for your family.
Of course not, you are right! Nor is anyone in any way obligated to give up a seat on the subway to an elderly person or a woman with a child (except for the designated seats), but civilized people do! No one is obligated to assist a person putting a heavy piece of luggage in the overhead, but civilized ones do! We are certainly not obligated to use forks and knives when we eat, but most of us still do. Doing those things despite not having moral or legal obligations is a harbinger of a civilized society (just as, admittedly, accepting them graciously).

I guarantee you that this would have not been an issue had it happened in economy! People would have happily switched seats for this family (sans the usual exit row restrictions). I realize that the situation was easily resolved (and the OP should be grateful to the gentleman who agreed to switch), the comments that followed in this thread were just UGLY! Big deal, you would seat by the window for 2 hrs instead of your beloved isle! MR_MAMA's status is obviously more important! Pathetic, you gotta be kidding me!
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
I Flew with my wife and almost 3 year old daughter TPA-CVG last Wednesday. All of us are elites...
________

You had my at "elite".

I've said this once before, but the proper terminology is Medallion Member; PM, DM, etc. Nowhere on our status are we referred to as elites, but yet so many people are calling themselves elite. And that tells me all I need to know about them.

I'm normally a stickler for accuracy, but this just makes it so much easier to spot the DYKWIAs, especially in the airports.
Hey jk2 (or anybody else that knows), any chance that you were a PMNW Frequent Flyer?….commonly known as (Platinum, Gold, Silver) ELITE…Trauma1...as “riot-inducing” a subject as it may be…many people WERE (at least in terminology) Elites. If you didn’t have to change your label/frequent flier number/club membership/etc. as a result of the merger…consider yourself fortunate. For the rest of us, the merger resulted in SOME form of change to the airline that we flew previously.

...How many of you didn't change the number in your speed dial/cell phone until it didn't work anymore? (or you made Diamond)

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I think it comes from the fact that these tiers in the DL program and virtually all other programs - hotels, car rentals, are generically referred to as 'elite levels.'
+1

PPP
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: 1FS Frequent Diner
Originally Posted by popppa

Hey jk2 (or anybody else that knows), any chance that you were a PMNW Frequent Flyer?….commonly known as (Platinum, Gold, Silver) ELITE…Trauma1...as “riot-inducing” a subject as it may be…many people WERE (at least in terminology) Elites.
So do those people still fly on an airline named Northwest?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
All this would make a great "Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode. I can just see Larry David agreeing to swap seats. But then he ends up next to an incessant talker. The person in his original seat gets the last meal choice. The leg rest in the new seat doesn't work....
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:20 pm

So do those people still fly on an airline named Northwest?
THAT'S IT? That's your snappy comeback? First of all your missed the word WERE in my post. Do people still call it the "Sears Tower"? Have you ever seen someone here call it the "Crown Room" out of habit? Do people call the Queen's deceased daughter-in-law "Princess Diana"? (NOT her official title) Stop playing word police & stay on topic...or better yet move on to a thread where you can actually contribute something constructive.

PPP

P.S. the next time you're on PMNW 757, MD-ANYTHING, A330, or 747...I dare you to snoop around the boarding door, galleys. or cockpit door (without getting body-slammed by a FAM) & you'll probably find NW logos, ID plates, or other such non-Delta markings on your aircraft.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: 1FS Frequent Diner
Stop playing word police
I'm not. Just making an observation and I'm not asking anyone to correct themselves.

P.S. the next time you're on PMNW 757, MD-ANYTHING, A330, or 747...I dare you to snoop around the boarding door, galleys. or cockpit door (without getting body-slammed by a FAM) & you'll probably find NW logos, ID plates, or other such non-Delta markings on your aircraft.
I do. Haven't seen any YTD.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Nor is anyone in any way obligated to give up a seat on the subway to an elderly person or a woman with a child (except for the designated seats), but civilized people do!
Yes, but in this case, the mother and child had the option of sitting in economy for which they paid. So there is no need for chivalry here. She was three years old. Economy might have even been better considering they can remove the armrest.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 1MM USAir SP Marriott Plat National Exec Elite
Wow, learning a lot here about who I've been traveling with for about 1.5M miles. If it means enough to you to pay for first class, good for you. I guess there are those who look down their paying noses at comp upgraders like me.
Oh, well...affects me not at all.

I think the OP has been savaged -- with all sorts of assumptions made about how he approached it, his entitlement attitude, and his characterization of the "old guy" (I resemble that remark?), etc. Most of this has been to justify the principle that it is ok to refuse to move from one FC seat to another to accomodate a child sitting with her mother. Really? My enjoyment and entitlement vs. a three year old. It's hard to believe this is a debate. One flight out of the hundreds we make to do something nice for another person. I know there are many on this forum who do not agree, but I think there's a lot of rationalizing selfishness going on.

How about being the person who sees something like this going on, or a husband and wife separated, and volunteering to switch seats? Trust me, the positive feeling you get will be worth more than your favorite seat.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
I don't have any kids, but I fly enough. In my experience, there are some people that have to have "their seat" (no judgement, some people want a certain seat and won't move - I ask nicely, then move onto the next group). But, plenty of people (myself included) would basically swap anyone for any seat at any time. Plenty of people (including myself) get upgraded into separated seats EVEN on the same PNR. I am fortunate that my success rate is 100% on finding SOMEONE willing to switch. As a "thank you", I will always put myself into the less desirable seat of the situation (bulkhead, last row of FC, etc). Just asking nicely has always worked for me, and never has an FA had to get involved.

Just play nice! That's all it takes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.