Wiki Posts
Search

FC passengers - attitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
oh boy...

Originally Posted by jk2
What is wrong with you people? It wasn't just swap seats for fun or something else. They clearly saw that the swap was for child and the safety/comfort other passengers.
no, the swap was because you didn't want to give up your complimentary upgrades. you are asking people to inconvenience themselves for your benefit, and **you complain because someone does it, but not with the attitude you want while they're doing it**. "what is wrong with you"?

I also blame Delta since it was their responsibility to accommodate child and mother together
which they were willing to do. but you weren't willing to go with the solution they had available (coach).

Moreover, I believe that all of them got their seats as a complimentary upgrades as well.
you have no idea whether this is actually true.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I think this thread is a great example of why the attitude that "I am not going to move from my seat for you because it's not my problem that you didn't pre-book your seat / booked late / were lazy etc." because often it is not the displaced pax's fault.

Many years ago, I was on a single PNR with 2 companions (one under 5) all seated in the bulkhead (AB and D across the aisle) which were only available to elites. Plane change, bulkhead was now a row after and we were booted to something like 23 E 24 E 25 E (all middle seats). Agent said you are SOL. I threw a fit at check-in and we got upgraded (luckily). If we had boarded with our assigned seats, I am sure we would have been met with some hostility after asking to change but it certainly wouldn't have been our fault that the airline decided to change our seats at the last second.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: none
Simple solution. You move from one good FC seat to another FC seat.

Ask the GA or FA if that would help. Then after the flight write DL and tell them you agreed to move and ask if they would comp you some SkyPesos for your trouble.

Eveyone wins.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Silver Medallion, Avis First
I don't spend a lot of time in the Delta forum, but WOW is this a fiesty bunch.... I want to enjoy my flight and the seat I chose as much as the next guy, but having a family myself, I would be more than willing to accomodate a mom and child together even if it put me in a less "desirable" seat. Seriously, come back to coach with the rest of us every once in a while.... When I am lucky enough to sit up front, I could care less which seat it is....

Now go ahead and berate the lowly FO for speaking....
Old Sep 10, 2011, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If I am asked to switch an aisle for another aisle seat further up in the plane (providing it isnt row 1), I normally don't have a problem switching. I like aisle seats and will not switch from an aisle to a window.

Most FAs do the meal service from front to back. Thats why I don't want to move further back if its a flight with a meal service since it means my chance of having my meal choice will be slimmer.

Some people actually pay for first. If someone is in a paid first class seat they want, its unfair to ask them move for someone that is on a free upgrade.

Last edited by jamesteroh; Sep 10, 2011 at 6:08 pm
Old Sep 10, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
How about this: Why did you not book the seats you wanted? Everyone else seemed to be able to get the seat they wanted. The reason is you either waited too long or picked a flight that was too sold out. What did you expect?

THIS attitude drives me nuts.
Are you serious? Reading Is Fundamental.

Originally Posted by edscholl
no, the swap was because you didn't want to give up your complimentary upgrades. you are asking people to inconvenience themselves for your benefit, and **you complain because someone does it, but not with the attitude you want while they're doing it**. "what is wrong with you"?
WOW!

Originally Posted by jk2
OK, I thought that as usual we have to deal with it on our own. But I was very surprised to see the reaction to swap seats (from 2B to 3A or from 3B to 2A). The old guy in 2B said that I had to ask the guy in 3B first, the guy in 3B said that he doesn't want to seat in the front row and wouldn't swap. Finally, the guy from 2B moved to the 3A, but his face said everything what he thought about this swap. What is wrong with you people?
“Common sense isn’t common”

… & apparently neither is empathy in the First Class cabin or in this thread. I submit that most of the people posting snide responses here are too arrogant to read that you already had made seat assignments for your wife & daughter THAT WERE TOGETHER & that you were the victim of an equipment change. The rest are either bitter passengers who always travel alone & have never been confronted with such a situation themselves OR are suffering from convenient amnesia. SHAME! With the regularity of Delta schedule changes, equipment changes & IROPs (resulting in an INVOLUTARY deletion/reassignment of previously assigned seats)…I find it doubtful that all of these forum bullies have never experienced what you describe. Furthermore, there are enough threads/ posts where people rant about boarding & finding a member of a separated traveling party boldly sitting in the assigned seat of said “Ranter“. Why do they do this? Are they rude? Maybe. Are they insensitive? Perhaps. More than anything, I think they do it because they suspect that asking will be ineffective & fall on deaf ears!!! I have had instances where a deserving party (granddaughter & man who looked 100 & could barely walk/Mother & 5 year old deaf son…each with their own seat/Elderly couple…only one of whom could speak English) tried in vain to get their respective seatmates to switch. On each of those three occasions I & my traveling companion have offered our adjoining seats & sat apart (in their separated seats) while the rest of the first class brats buried their heads in their newspapers & pre-flight beverages. WHY did I do this? Because I remember what it felt like to be standing in the aisle & hoping someone would understand.

IT’S CALLED COMPASSION PEOPLE!

…but apparently here that has long since gone the way of “the whole family seeing you off at the gate”.

PPP

(jk2, Sorry that so many posters were nasty to you, you didn't derserve it.)
Old Sep 10, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Originally Posted by popppa

… & apparently neither is empathy in the First Class cabin

…but apparently here that has long since gone the way of “the whole family seeing you off at the gate”.
popppa, you are spot on! Like I wrote in the just closed http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...arrogance.html thread, many of these "elites" must not have much to hold on to in their lives beyond the airline status and their FC seats.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 6:25 pm

Unhappy

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Couple of thoughts here:
  • On the MD-88 with 14 FC seats, some people consider 2B to be a very desirable seat, as it actually offers a bit more leg room because of the bulkhead configuration and you don't have anyone reclining into you. I don't think I would have tried asking 2B to move.
  • As others have noted, it's better form to try to do the swap of more desirable seats for less desirable seats, so you should have tried to swap 2A for one of the row 3 or 4 seats. The drawback is you only had window seats to swap, and some people only prefer aisle.
Rather than attempting to deal with this yourself, I would have pre boarded with the kid, and enlisted an FAs help. The FA could then have planted your wife and the kid in 4C/D during pre board for example and when 4C showed up, she could have smoothly apologized for the seating mixup, explain that there was nothing to do at this point because FC was full and it was a mother/child that couldn't be split and put 4C into 3A or where ever. Problem solved and nobody would have been the wiser.
+1

Sorry but this has nothing to do with attitude. I am on 200 flights a year and I book FC to get specific seats. I like the aisle and I like the bulkhead and that is what I buy. If you have an aisle for an aisle then no problem but otherwise I say no politely. I would also not order a pepperoni pizza and then swap you for an anchovy because that is what your kid wanted. I can also tell you that I think it is rude for somebody who did NOT book far enough in advance or actually PAY for FC to get the seats they want to then complain that people wont move around for you. That is the height of arrogance to be honest.

How would you like it is the OPPOSITE happened? Somebody with a younger child wanted to sit together and they asked you to split up your family? It is for the "children" after all...
This is one UGLY post...sad

How about this: Why did you not book the seats you wanted? Everyone else seemed to be able to get the seat they wanted. The reason is you either waited too long or picked a flight that was too sold out. What did you expect?

THIS attitude drives me nuts.
How about reading the OP and learning the facts of the situation before you go popping off at the mouth.

Originally Posted by glbetrotter
Perhaps you indeed did not want to sound harsh, but you sure came across as a quintessential a s s! We are talking about a 2 hr flight! Come on, what "enjoyment" would you give up on a short DL flight? Drop your "DYKWIA" status attitude and try to be more civilized.

As for kids in FC, too bad for you -- my children have been flying with me in FC since they were under one, and will continue to do it. And I bet they are more cultured and better behaved than you (and yes, they have status too, even though they are usually flying on paid F fares ... making less seats available for comp upgrades for PAXs like you).
+1,000,000

Are you serious? Reading Is Fundamental.

WOW!

… & apparently neither is empathy in the First Class cabin or in this thread. I submit that most of the people posting snide responses here are too arrogant to read that you already had made seat assignments for your wife & daughter THAT WERE TOGETHER & that you were the victim of an equipment change. The rest are either bitter passengers who always travel alone & have never been confronted with such a situation themselves OR are suffering from convenient amnesia. SHAME! With the regularity of Delta schedule changes, equipment changes & IROPs (resulting in an INVOLUTARY deletion/reassignment of previously assigned seats)…I find it doubtful that all of these forum bullies have never experienced what you describe. Furthermore, there are enough threads/ posts where people rant about boarding & finding a member of a separated traveling party boldly sitting in the assigned seat of said “Ranter“. Why do they do this? Are they rude? Maybe. Are they insensitive? Perhaps. More than anything, I think they do it because they suspect that asking will be ineffective & fall on deaf ears!!! I have had instances where a deserving party (granddaughter & man who looked 100 & could barely walk/Mother & 5 year old deaf son…each with their own seat/Elderly couple…only one of whom could speak English) tried in vain to get their respective seatmates to switch. On each of those three occasions I & my traveling companion have offered our adjoining seats & sat apart (in their separated seats) while the rest of the first class brats buried their heads in their newspapers & pre-flight beverages. WHY did I do this? Because I remember what it felt like to be standing in the aisle & hoping someone would understand.

PPP

(jk2, Sorry that so many posters were nasty to you, you didn't derserve it.)
I applaud this post.

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 11, 2011 at 3:51 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
… & apparently neither is empathy in the First Class cabin or in this thread. ...(jk2, Sorry that so many posters were nasty to you, you didn't derserve it.)
Sorry, but you are waaaaaaay out of line. Where was the lack of compassion from the other passengers. A passenger was asked to move, said he would do it if a single other passenger was unwilling, that passenger was unwilling, and the passenger moved. Sounds compassionate to me.

The gentleman who asked the passenger to move and was accommodated chose to come online and insult the man who moved for him. Rather that be thankful for the other passenger's good will, the OP paints the other passenger as rude because he didn't blow rainbows and lollipops up the OP's butt. The OP sets a horrible example for the child involved, teaching the child not to be grateful, but to demand more, more, more because it's for me, me, me.

The slams to the OP were well earned. Maybe the OP didn't recognize the crass behavior, but once it was pointed out, the OP should have acted like a human being and apologized, rather than tried to justify his poor behavior.

For the record, the last time I moved so a young child could sit next to a parent, I was taken advantage of by a non-Rev (two flight crew told me it was a non-Rev and that was confirmed after the flight, too) who swapped a coach seat for my F, not informing me that other family members were sitting in F who could have taken the Y seat and given me my (paid for) F seat. Since then, I've had two flights where teens and parents weren't sitting together in F and I was asked to move by the parents. Both times I did so quickly. Both times the teens grumbled that they didn't want to sit next to the parent!
Old Sep 10, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Take a chill pill

Whoa. Some folks around here woke up on the wrong side of the bed today!
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by A4K
I understand your frustration, but honestly you can't just expect others to move for you just because you are traveling with a child. The GA offered you seats together - In coach. I hate to be harsh on this, but if you wanted seats together you should have taken the coach seats.

I sometimes ask others to switch seats if I am traveling with a companion, and usually people are willing. I only do it if I am switching for "equal" seats. Like aisle for aisle or bulkhead for bulkhead. I don't want to put another pax in a situation where they chose a aisle in row two and I ask them to go to a window in a bulkhead. I think that is rude.
Originally Posted by AdamATL
1. How do you know this?

2. What does this have to do with anything?

3. Isn't this how your wife and kid got their upgrade?

Regardless of how polite you think you were, I suspect your sense of entitlement came through loud and clear to your fellow passengers.
Sorry but this has nothing to do with attitude. I am on 200 flights a year and I book FC to get specific seats. I like the aisle and I like the bulkhead and that is what I buy. If you have an aisle for an aisle then no problem but otherwise I say no politely. I would also not order a pepperoni pizza and then swap you for an anchovy because that is what your kid wanted. I can also tell you that I think it is rude for somebody who did NOT book far enough in advance or actually PAY for FC to get the seats they want to then complain that people wont move around for you. That is the height of arrogance to be honest.

How would you like it is the OPPOSITE happened? Somebody with a younger child wanted to sit together and they asked you to split up your family? It is for the "children" after all...
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Sorry, but you are waaaaaaay out of line. Where was the lack of compassion from the other passengers. A passenger was asked to move, said he would do it if a single other passenger was unwilling, that passenger was unwilling, and the passenger moved. Sounds compassionate to me.

The gentleman who asked the passenger to move and was accommodated chose to come online and insult the man who moved for him. Rather that be thankful for the other passenger's good will, the OP paints the other passenger as rude because he didn't blow rainbows and lollipops up the OP's butt. The OP sets a horrible example for the child involved, teaching the child not to be grateful, but to demand more, more, more because it's for me, me, me.

The slams to the OP were well earned. Maybe the OP didn't recognize the crass behavior, but once it was pointed out, the OP should have acted like a human being and apologized, rather than tried to justify his poor behavior.

For the record, the last time I moved so a young child could sit next to a parent, I was taken advantage of by a non-Rev (two flight crew told me it was a non-Rev and that was confirmed after the flight, too) who swapped a coach seat for my F, not informing me that other family members were sitting in F who could have taken the Y seat and given me my (paid for) F seat. Since then, I've had two flights where teens and parents weren't sitting together in F and I was asked to move by the parents. Both times I did so quickly. Both times the teens grumbled that they didn't want to sit next to the parent!
^^^. I will move if the trade is equal or better... I avoid windows at all costs. If it is all that is available, I will deal with it....

The GA would have seated the OP in Y with no issue. Equip swaps happen, and sometimes you get screwed. I have been booted to Y. It sucks, but it happens. In this case the OP was actually lucky to have retained seats in F. When you have small children, you often have to make sacrifices. Sometimes that means taking two seats in Y on a two hour flight.

The growing sense of entitlement in this day and age is very disheartening. In addition, mocking the guy that put the OP's needs ahead of his own is quite telling of the OP's attitude toward others. To the OP.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:06 pm
Suspended

popppa, you are spot on! Like I wrote in the just closed http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...arrogance.html thread, many of these "elites" must not have much to hold on to in their lives beyond the airline status and their FC seats.
Of course you're different and better than them.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM; 3.1 MM
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA;1708688know it is for a child, but it is not MY child and why should I give up the enjoyment of my flight for yours?

Many of us choose a specific seat on a plane for specific reasons, sorry there was an airline switch and [B
your 3 yr old (who would not even remember or enjoy the fact that she was in first) is no more important than me and my status[/B].

I hate when people think they are entitled to special privileges just because they are traveling with a child. I personally do not think children belong in FC in the first place.
Perhaps you indeed did not want to sound harsh, but you sure came across as a quintessential a s s! We are talking about a 2 hr flight! Come on, what "enjoyment" would you give up on a short DL flight? Drop your "DYKWIA" status attitude and try to be more civilized.

As for kids in FC, too bad for you -- my children have been flying with me in FC since they were under one, and will continue to do it. And I bet they are more cultured and better behaved than you (and yes, they have status too, even though they are usually flying on paid F fares ... making less seats available for comp upgrades for PAXs like you).
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Of course you're different and better than them.
I never said that I am better. Different -- that I may be.

I know, however, that I would switch seats (as I have many times) to keep a family together.

Some "elites" read much too much into their status, whereas it is not an intellectual or a physical accomplishment. Not an accomplishment at all, in fact ...
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: 1FS Frequent Diner
Originally Posted by jk2
I Flew with my wife and almost 3 year old daughter TPA-CVG last Wednesday. All of us are elites.
You had my at "elite".

I've said this once before, but the proper terminology is Medallion Member; PM, DM, etc. Nowhere on our status are we referred to as elites, but yet so many people are calling themselves elite. And that tells me all I need to know about them.

I'm normally a stickler for accuracy, but this just makes it so much easier to spot the DYKWIAs, especially in the airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.