Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by thesaints
FCM has unfortunately, but unsurprisingly, been joined by C+M
fixed that ...
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:17 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Went to go buy a ticket from CHI-RDU for January 10th

AA Y: $140 AA F: $341
UA Y: $140 UA F: $269
DL Y: $127 DL F: $239

Guess who I bought a F ticket with? And by routing MDW-MSP-RDU I get to pick up a bunch of MQMs.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Were UA and AA direct flights? Do you value MQMs more than your time?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Were UA and AA direct flights? Do you value MQMs more than your time?
They were and yes, I do. I'm a leisure traveler with no where to go and all night to get there. I enjoy flying and airports and lounges and there are very few times when I will take a nonstop over a connection.

Plus, more miles towards MM!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
opportunist, or "once again, timing is everything"

10 days out, DCA-SFO: one seat over CVG at $463, most MSP/DTW/SLC and some ATL options at $671, most over ATL close to $1000, the rest north of $1100 ... but **surprise** two flights over JFK -- on 763s, no less -- actually advertised at $662

sorry, bubbashow, there's now one less seat available for someone who's willing to drop $1927 for JFK-SFO, and I feel pretty damn good that I got a $199 "D1M" rate for flights I'll actually take (full disclosure: if the only SDC options over JFK involved 757s, I might have grabbed that CVG seat because the flight times are somewhat better)

I think this validates the point that DL RM can't just set FCM differentials based on walk-up fares for a single (albeit desirable/popular) segment ... continuously projecting passenger traffic patterns to support dynamic pricing isn't a trivial thing
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Offered $129 at check-in to upgrade an MCO-ATL.

Hilarious. Don't think I'd pay more than $50-60 to upgrade that flight (one hour in the air).
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Had an unusual situation with FCM for my flight tomorrow. I'm getting money back

I fly DTW/MIA every black friday and return that Sunday. This year fares were absurd on the non-stop afternoon flight which is what I have always taken in the past. Even though the seat map was wide open when I booked the only fares available were full Y and full F. Even though I wouldn't be getting home until after midnight I went ahead and booked a late flight tomorrow connecting in ATL since it was cheaper to do FCM on that route than coach in the non-stop and it was still a pretty expensive fare.

I noticed the seat map was showing F almost half empty for the non stop tomorrow and went to the sky club after landing in MIA yesterday and asked the agent if I showed up Sunday and there were stll a lot of FC seats on that flight if they would move me into the flight or if they were strict about it having to be a connection. She pulled up something on her computer and said if she was reading it right she could confirm me on it for free. She said it looked like the fare difference would eat the $200 change fee and asked me if I wanted put on that flight if it wouldn't cost me anything.

She told me to have a seat in the club and she would call the reissue desk and page me in a few. She told me I was booked in that flight and had a credit of almost $150 coming after the change fee I looked at the reissue and I was rebooked on a G fare. Weird Delta only had full F and Y at booking and now is able to put me on that flight with a credit.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:40 am

Took DL up on their FCM offer. 6 segments, 11 hours of flying time, FCM rate = $300.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:15 pm

Booked a return ticket JFK-SJU a few days ago in coach. Yesterday saw an offer to upgrade to F for $298 R/T. I have no idea if that's what you call an FCM. Since my mom turns 65 the month after our flight, I thought it would make a nice birthday gift. That, and the fact that I didn't want to deal with all the overhead bin hassles after a Transatlantic flight from Brussels, so I took the deal. I wanted to fly F once in my life I have no idea if it was a good deal, but I am very happy.

Cindy
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Bonjour, Cindy.

I'm not sure that 50 USD/hour would qualify as FCM compared with the examples here. All that really matters is if you thought it was a good deal, and it sounds like you did! Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Bonjour, Cindy.

I'm not sure that 50 USD/hour would qualify as FCM compared with the examples here. All that really matters is if you thought it was a good deal, and it sounds like you did! Enjoy your trip!
JFK-SJU is closer to 8 hours round trip (4 hours approximately each way). $298 round trip works out to $37/hour. Not a bad deal. I would probably be more than happy to pay $149 each way to ensure FC on a 4 hour route
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
JFK-SJU is closer to 8 hours round trip (4 hours approximately each way). $298 round trip works out to $37/hour. Not a bad deal. I would probably be more than happy to pay $149 each way to ensure FC on a 4 hour route
Agree. Definitely not a bad deal. One I would likely take DL up on myself personally.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: National - Exec, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Delta - Gold, AA - Plat
That seems to be the target with Delta lately ($35-50)/hour for an FCM "upgrade". It's interesting with forums such as this, published data on profits, and just general data that is available to everyone, how easy it is to see how much every consumer's activity is worth to a certain company.

In this case, $35/hour during flight time seems to be Delta's tipping point where brand loyalty is appreciated, but additional ancillary income is worth more to them. Granted, this is WAY oversimplifying the equation here, as a lowly FO as myself is not treated with the same consideration as a DM.

Similarly, this is exactly where the offer stands for our flights to DSM this holiday. $151 RT for each passenger works out to about $50/hr. Absolutely not worth an additional $600 for the family of 4 on a 1.5 hour flight, but would definitely have done if it was just me or even the wife and I.

Be lucky,
LJ
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Generally, I don't consider $35-$50 per hour to be a great deal. Might be more worthwhile when I can't get upgrade to C+.

My current offers are higher than that and I'm not tempted. For example, 4 segments MCO-DFW roundtrip shows about 7 1/2 hours for $471.

MCO-JFK roundtrip shows 5 hours 40 minutes for $328. Last summer when they offered a little over $100 I had no problem buying. Eliminated waiting for C+ and got bonus miles. BTW I have a flight Sunday MCO-JFK (on the way to LAS) which is almost at the T-72 hour mark and, though I know you can't rely on the seat chart, currently it shows 15/20 seats as being available.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Is this a great deal, no. Is it FCM, no idea.

Booked LAX-JFK-ROC for the weekend after Christmas. Paid $121+20k miles each for two pax. DL had been pricing the upsell to D1 between $550-625 per person, which was too rich for my blood.

I was poking around my itineraries before my flight on Saturday and noticed DL peddling an upgrade to an I fare for $324 per person. I bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.