Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by CMK10
Checked in earlier for a GSO-ATL-FLL trip tomorrow. FCM offers had been as high as $536 and as low as $256. Offered $199 at check in which I considered and rejected. A couple of dozen on each upgrade list and the first flight is still 17 hours away.
I would have rejected it on that short of a flight. If you are doing it at check in you are missing out on the SDC flexibility and the bonus 50% mqm's (two of the things that I factor in when buying a FCM ticket).
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I booked a couple DTW/LAS trips this week and appears they are no longer doing FCM on that route or at least the trips I'm taking. $870 more on the one tripe RT and over $1,000 more on the other and I have an M ticket returning on the later flight and F is wide open on both. Hopefully the fare difference stays that high, I've found when there is a big difference between coach and first class, the first class tickets don't sell and I get upgraded.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would have rejected it on that short of a flight. If you are doing it at check in you are missing out on the SDC flexibility and the bonus 50% mqm's (two of the things that I factor in when buying a FCM ticket).
Glad we agree, and it's not like either F product (M88/753) is much to get excited about either. I have C+ on each flight too.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:31 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Just booked YEG-ORD, no offer. Kinda surprised since F was only about $75 more than coach, must be because it's international. I have the Amex plat for skyclub access, but for Joe Traveler, it's probably a pretty good deal. Have a few drinks on the flights, check a bag, use the skyclub and you'll easily come out ahead.

EDIT: I decided to call in, I though $75 was not a horrible deal and I could just apply it towards my $200 fee credit. The agent originally quoted something like $160, I told him the website had the fare difference at $110CAD. He searched some more and then quoted $28USD! Took that without hesitation!

Last edited by United747; Jan 15, 2016 at 4:01 pm Reason: See above
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by United747
Just booked YEG-ORD, no offer. Kinda surprised since F was only about $75 more than coach, must be because it's international.
I wonder if the weak loonie is causing lower fares ex-Canada, just like we've seen for the past year+ ex-Brazil?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I wonder if the weak loonie is causing lower fares ex-Canada, just like we've seen for the past year+ ex-Brazil?
Wouldn't surprise me. Hotels were a steal too.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Mmm... are you referring to someone in Revenue Management?

Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Booked at one-way ticket yesterday. FCM increment was $288, which was 1.6X the base coach fare (so FC was 2.6X coach), so I passed.

Checked my itinerary today (still within the 24 hr grace period).

Was offered FCM for $318... but, for a new reservation, difference between FC and coach is still $288.

The RM random number generator.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Booked at one-way ticket yesterday. FCM increment was $288, which was 1.6X the base coach fare (so FC was 2.6X coach), so I passed.

Checked my itinerary today (still within the 24 hr grace period).

Was offered FCM for $318... but, for a new reservation, difference between FC and coach is still $288.

The RM random number generator.
perhaps we have new acronyms in play ...
RM = Revenue (Mis?)Management
RN = Random Number
RN = Revenue Nonsense
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can SDC after checking in, although I suspect that if the ticket isn't reissued when you pay for the upgrade, you might not be able to SDC directly into FC as you can with a G A P (or fulll F) fare or with a confirmed instrument-supported upgrade.
Yeah, that's what I meant. You don't get the last-seat SDC rules when buying option #3, since your ticketed fare class does not change.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Booked a flight a few days ago for June...SMF-LAX-MEM-MSP-SMF. Flight was $530ish in Y and over $1000 in F (in my experience normal fares for this routing in June, which is why I just bought it). Upgraded to C+ for $20 (no status at the moment, although I probably will by then), FCM is showing $518 right now. Hoping that will drop down in the coming months, but we'll see.

On the other hand, SMF-LAX-SMF a few weeks from now (booked it last month). Initial FCM offer was $930(!) for an hour flight each way, it has now dropped to $198. No thank you.

Also OW SMF-ATL-TPA booked <24 hours before departure on a K fare with F showing 3 seats available at booking. Was never given the option to upgrade.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Dennis88
Booked a flight a few days ago for June...SMF-LAX-MEM-MSP-SMF. Flight was $530ish in Y and over $1000 in F (in my experience normal fares for this routing in June, which is why I just bought it). Upgraded to C+ for $20 (no status at the moment, although I probably will by then), FCM is showing $518 right now. Hoping that will drop down in the coming months, but we'll see.

On the other hand, SMF-LAX-SMF a few weeks from now (booked it last month). Initial FCM offer was $930(!) for an hour flight each way, it has now dropped to $198. No thank you.

Also OW SMF-ATL-TPA booked <24 hours before departure on a K fare with F showing 3 seats available at booking. Was never given the option to upgrade.
IME, upgrade and FCM offers to SMF are stingy at best. The last one I saw was $299 on ATL-SMF at OLCI about 6 weeks ago. On the remaining 3/4 segments of that trip I got no offers at all.

I currently have an "FCM" offer on an upcoming SMF-RDU for $691, the coach fare I bought was $269. Recently there have been <$700 G fares to RDU, so I am hoping that FCM will drop to about $400 closer to the date of travel, in which case I will consider it since I doubt I get upgraded now that I am dropping to gold.

I often never get FCM offers at all on my itineraries out of SMF. I guess they are selling most of the F at asking price, which jives with my track record for upgrades, which is fairly poor on SMF-SLC/MSP/ATL and vv.

Last edited by PV_Premier; Jan 17, 2016 at 10:16 am
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
IME, upgrade and FCM offers to SMF are stingy at best. The last one I saw was $299 on ATL-SMF at OLCI about 6 weeks ago. On the remaining 3/4 segments of that trip I got no offers at all.

I currently have an "FCM" offer on an upcoming SMF-RDU for $691, the coach fare I bought was $269. Recently there have been <$700 G fares to RDU, so I am hoping that FCM will drop to about $400 closer to the date of travel, in which case I will consider it since I doubt I get upgraded now that I am dropping to gold.

I often never get FCM offers at all on my itineraries out of SMF. I guess they are selling most of the F at asking price, which jives with my track record for upgrades, which is fairly poor on SMF-SLC/MSP/ATL and vv.
That's interesting. From ORD, I see ~$70 a lot. Doesn't matter whether connection is in ATL or MSP (try and avoid DTW because of E145 and CR2s)

EDIT:I misread SMF as SDF!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by United747
That's interesting. From ORD, I see ~$70 a lot. Doesn't matter whether connection is in ATL or MSP (try and avoid DTW because of E145 and CR2s)

EDIT:I misread SMF as SDF!
If it works for you, look at MDW which is often cheaper from MSP. However, note that there's no SC at MDW.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If it works for you, look at MDW which is often cheaper from MSP. However, note that there's no SC at MDW.
Yeah, thanks. I always look at both, but usually choose ORD because of the club. I haven't noticed a difference when booking recently, but I'm shopping for a ticket to MSP and SDF x2 so we'll see.

As to FCM offers, ORD seems to have a little more aggressive FCM for my dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.