Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by United747
Yeah, thanks. I always look at both, but usually choose ORD because of the club. I haven't noticed a difference when booking recently, but I'm shopping for a ticket to MSP and SDF x2 so we'll see.

As to FCM offers, ORD seems to have a little more aggressive FCM for my dates.
Try flying into MDW and out of ORD. That's what I've been doing for downtown Chicago. MDW has some RJs in the middle of the day, but they all have FC.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, and major hotels
I'm traveling on an identical itinerary as someone else with a separate PNR. His delta.com itinerary shows the banner with an offer to upgrade for exactly the fare difference between paid and FC being sold now. Mine - no offer.

Why would Delta not extend this same offer to everyone? What business sense could they possibly have for not doing so?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mondo
I'm traveling on an identical itinerary as someone else with a separate PNR. His delta.com itinerary shows the banner with an offer to upgrade for exactly the fare difference between paid and FC being sold now. Mine - no offer.

Why would Delta not extend this same offer to everyone? What business sense could they possibly have for not doing so?
You can always call DL and up fare to a G A P ticket by paying the fare difference. No change fee.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I just booked JFK to MIA for May 6 to May 8. The coach fare came to $222.00.

At the trip summary page a pop up asked if I wanted to switch to first/business for another $355.00.

Actually not a bad price for an A fare ticket ($567.00).

I'm thinking about it but as a DM I'm fairly confident JFK to MIA to JFK will get me the UG on a sLUT fare.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

Was your ticket purchased through a travel agent?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

I think you can go to delta.com, go in to your reservation and try to select a FC seat in the seating chart and it will show you how much to buy the seat? Doesn't that still work?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by krlcomm
I think you can go to delta.com, go in to your reservation and try to select a FC seat in the seating chart and it will show you how much to buy the seat? Doesn't that still work?
Nope. You get a popup that says, "We can't change your seat. You may only select seats that correspond with your purchased fare."

(I've never once been offered FCM, so I'm well familiar with this. I don't even know what the FCM banner looks like)

Keith
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
This year my company changed to AMEX travel and the last two weeks was the first time that I saw the FCM at check-in. I was not UGd at the window for ATL-RDU last week (nor for this week's flight), but I got the "Upgrade to FC for $129." I declined as it is only a 50 min flight, besides $129 is very steep for that flight. Prior to the flight, I got the BFUG for $0. Today I checked in and again I was greeted with the "Upgrade to FC for $129" and again choose to decline. After check in I was 1 of 19 with 6 seats. I just looked and I am 2 of 21 with 4. Good for DL that a sucker is born every minute. If I get the BFUG good, but if not, it isn't going to ruin the day.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA Gold, United Silver, SW A List, Bonvoy Titanium
I don't typically get FCM offers (corporate travel agency), so my personal trips paid with cash where I do get them fascinate me. My offer for a trip a couple of weeks from now just jumped from $338 to $495 for ORF>ATL>BNA>ATL>ORF. With what I paid for the ticket plus the upgrade cost, it would be well above the current price for a flex first-class ticket. First class on all segments is open with the exception of BNA-ATL on the return being roughly half full.

As someone who normally books 2-3 days out, I am just happy enough with confirmed seats in C+. An upgrade would be gravy, but I am certainly am not going to shell out an extra $495 for roughly 2 hours of flying time each way.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I get a FCM offer with almost every trip I book. It shows up right next to the fare total before checkout. About 50% of the time it gives me a miles option as well. I used 19k miles today to UG RT DCA-ATL-MCO-ATL-DCA. It's not a major UG, but I have so many miles 19k was worth it to me.

I may get the offers due to how often I take advantage of them. I really like them because of the MQM boost.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

What is the thought on this. BOS-JFK-LAS. On an L fare for 170.00. FCM offer of 300 to upgrade and the JFK-LAS leg is a 757 with new lie flats.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:05 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by barney44
What is the thought on this. BOS-JFK-LAS. On an L fare for 170.00. FCM offer of 300 to upgrade and the JFK-LAS leg is a 757 with new lie flats.
I probably wouldn't take it myself, are you an elite - upgrade chance?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

Silver status and only 3 open seats at t-7 days
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I paid $200 to fly ATL-PHX on a 757 with lie-flats, I'd pay $300 for BOS-JFK-LAS.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by barney44
I assume these prices are OW rather than RT, but I'd be inclined to do it anyway, depending a bit on time of day and meals to be served on the flight in FC.

The bad news is that the JFK nonstop transcon routes other than LAX and SFO (which are done as D1) no longer give lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.