Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
The problem I have personally have encountered if it is on one PNR. For example, I've had AMS-CDG-MIA-BOS-AMS in the past. MIA-BOS was not eligible for FCM and it also was NOT eligible for SDC to earlier flights (etc.). With regard to SDC was told it has to do with being part of an international itinerary. I believe it's the same situation with FCM (but, I have never really examined it personally). Going forward, I now would book the USA/domestic segments separately. In this case, the MIA-BOS as just a one way. In many cases, since USA/domestic fares are the same pricing one way as roundtrip or part of a multi-city itinerary it was a fine work around. Of course, YMMV with regard to specific routings and fare basis.
Every FCM offer I've seen is for the entire trip, not by segment. That might be why they aren't offering it for international itineraries. Have you tried asking if it's available for the MIA-BOS flight (especially if you can see it online doing a fake booking)?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:04 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
When I did the SIN MR I got some sort of offer; I think it was $999 per segment.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
The problem I have personally have encountered if it is on one PNR. For example, I've had AMS-CDG-MIA-BOS-AMS in the past. MIA-BOS was not eligible for FCM and it also was NOT eligible for SDC to earlier flights (etc.).
AFAIK, DL does not fly MIA-BOS direct, so perhaps it is a code share, hence the inability to upgrade and get SDC?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
WSJ published another article on FCM today. Wow 57% of FC seats are paid today, DL wants that up to 70%...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/going-on...des-1452105322
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Hilton Dia, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Cir, National Exec Elite
Amazing how successful Delta has been at devaluing Diamond status

I left DL 4 years ago (was a Diamond since its inception). Now I'm an AA EXP.

I'm enjoying following this thread. It's interesting to me that you Diamond members are now paying 50% to 100% more for tickets (including FCM) than you were 4 years ago but this conversation is about patting yourselves on the back that you are getting upgrades at what you consider good prices rather than the free upgrades you used to enjoy. I guess Delta is a lot smarter than their frequent customers.

Loyalty seems to only work in one direction.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by frambusch
I left DL 4 years ago (was a Diamond since its inception). Now I'm an AA EXP.

I'm enjoying following this thread. It's interesting to me that you Diamond members are now paying 50% to 100% more for tickets (including FCM) than you were 4 years ago but this conversation is about patting yourselves on the back that you are getting upgrades at what you consider good prices rather than the free upgrades you used to enjoy. I guess Delta is a lot smarter than their frequent customers.

Loyalty seems to only work in one direction.
I'm DM on DL and ExP on AA (both from BIS) and I grab F on DL for less than Y on AA out of SoFla on a regular basis. Enjoy waiting for your "free" UGs.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:23 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
Every FCM offer I've seen is for the entire trip, not by segment.
I have been offered FCM for single segments.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jwlowry
Originally Posted by sethb
Every FCM offer I've seen is for the entire trip, not by segment.
I have been offered FCM for single segments.
Probably good to clarify that people seem to talk about three different things as FCM:
1. A relatively small difference between published/available FC and coach fares at time of purchase, often highlighted on the DL checkout page by a "Fly First for only $xx more" box.
2. At anytime after the initial ticket sale up to check-in, a banner offering a buy-up to FC for some price that appears on the trip summary and/or seat selection screens on DL.com.
3. Within the actual check-in process starting at T-24, an offer to be assigned a seat in FC for some amount.

IME, 1 & 2 are often displayed as "per segment" but, if purchased, will apply to the entire trip. They'll also result in the trip being reticketed in an actual FC fare (i.e., P/A/G) and thus earning more MQD and MQM. And of course opening up SDC possibilities.

OTOH, #3 seems to just assign the seat for one segment and does not reticket to the new fare class, this not providing extra MQM. And SDC is a non-factor here since you're already checking in for the specific flight.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Could be a tough year for UGs

TRAVEL WELL.

As a Medallion member, your loyalty is rewarded with exclusive perks. Enjoy our industry-leading benefits including Rollover Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs), Unlimited opportunities for the first class seat you are not willing to pay for and thus do not deserve and Choice Benefits for Diamond and Platinum Medallion members.

The SkyMiles Medallion Program page on DL.com, as some here wished it read.

Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:48 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
Probably good to clarify that people seem to talk about three different things as FCM:
1. A relatively small difference between published/available FC and coach fares at time of purchase, often highlighted on the DL checkout page by a "Fly First for only $xx more" box.
2. At anytime after the initial ticket sale up to check-in, a banner offering a buy-up to FC for some price that appears on the trip summary and/or seat selection screens on DL.com.
3. Within the actual check-in process starting at T-24, an offer to be assigned a seat in FC for some amount.

IME, 1 & 2 are often displayed as "per segment" but, if purchased, will apply to the entire trip. They'll also result in the trip being reticketed in an actual FC fare (i.e., P/A/G) and thus earning more MQD and MQM. And of course opening up SDC possibilities.

OTOH, #3 seems to just assign the seat for one segment and does not reticket to the new fare class, this not providing extra MQM. And SDC is a non-factor here since you're already checking in for the specific flight.
To clarify, when I have been offered an FCM "upgrade" for a single segment, it was with the third option. Cheers!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
My favorite is this:

1) buy a $300 (one-way) ticket within the 24 hour window before departure
2) get offered to buy up to FC for $200 during purchase. Decline
3) check-in. Get offered to buy up to FC for $150. Decline
4) wait one hour. Get upgraded.

Did this last week. What will be sad is when #4 is gone

Edited to add: flight went out with 5/12 empty seats in FC

Last edited by azeckel; Jan 13, 2016 at 8:19 pm
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Checked in earlier for a GSO-ATL-FLL trip tomorrow. FCM offers had been as high as $536 and as low as $256. Offered $199 at check in which I considered and rejected. A couple of dozen on each upgrade list and the first flight is still 17 hours away.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee

You can SDC after checking in, although I suspect that if the ticket isn't reissued when you pay for the upgrade, you might not be able to SDC directly into FC as you can with a G A P (or fulll F) fare or with a confirmed instrument-supported upgrade.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Perversity in FCM pricing

Purchased FC fare for a 3-hop from PHL to ANC.

$710 for one-way (less than $230 more than coach).

Most of the other FC fares for same day were $1000 to $1900 one-way.

Beats the alternative of waitlisting on a GUC.

OMG... I'm going to the dark side.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Purchased FC fare for a 3-hop from PHL to ANC.

$710 for one-way (less than $230 more than coach).

Most of the other FC fares for same day were $1000 to $1900 one-way.

Beats the alternative of waitlisting on a GUC.

OMG... I'm going to the dark side.
Im already there... welcome ....there are plenty of good a and g fares for the taking if one is flexible 😉

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.