Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've also noticed that often after schedule changes, the FCM offer disappears from my reservation page.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
Is there any rhyme or reason as to when you see the FCM offers? I have 2 trips coming up (one ot ANC and one to LAX) and I get the C+ offer, but I'm already in C+, but no F offer even tho the F cabin appears empty.

I probably won't pull the trigger, but might on the MSP>ANC leg depending on price.
Doesn't seem to be on the surface, but DL is probably basing it on what they expect to sell. Buy most of our tickets early so F cabin is usually available and most of the time get offers, but not all. Some offers are reasonable, like around $100 for 4 short segments, and others have been over $800 for similar flights.

Amount changes often and some days a flight doesn't have an offer and then it will be back in the next few days.

Do not expect to see an offer if using a companion ticket. From other postings it seems like you probably won't see one on award tickets.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
Is there any rhyme or reason as to when you see the FCM offers? I have 2 trips coming up (one ot ANC and one to LAX) and I get the C+ offer, but I'm already in C+, but no F offer even tho the F cabin appears empty.
There ought to be, but it's implemented by Delta IT, so who knows?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
So I had a work trip I booked for April next year and was offered FCM at booked 4 weeks ago, but figured I would get offers later and got none after I booked. Now the trip is now less than 180 days out but still no FCM offered and I figured 180 days might be some magic number but it was not.

Question when does DL go back and offer FCM for trips booked way out? It is a B fare so FCM was not that much more than the cost of the trip.

I generally never book work trips this far out.

Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:15 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hnewman
So I had a work trip I booked for April next year and was offered FCM at booked 4 weeks ago, but figured I would get offers later and got none after I booked. Now the trip is now less than 180 days out but still no FCM offered and I figured 180 days might be some magic number but it was not.

Question when does DL go back and offer FCM for trips booked way out? It is a B fare so FCM was not that much more than the cost of the trip.

Thanks
I don't know for sure, but they may be targeted. We know that if you book via a TA, you don't get an offer. If it's a B fare, why not just call to upfare into F? (I'm assuming it's refundable/changeable)
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by United747
If it's a B fare, why not just call to upfare into F? (I'm assuming it's refundable/changeable)
$250 change fee required
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM
$250 change fee required
HUACA....I have had even L fare change fee waived when booking to the front cabin on a straight purchase.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Thanks
Why buy a B fare so far in advance? Especially if it's not a B-UP and you're not trying to confirm an instrument-supported upgrade at the time of purchase?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

Thanks
FCM is offered arbitrarily. I've looked at a flight, had it not be offered, looked at the seat map (but didn't change my seat), and had it offered when .bomb returned to the flight screen.

If you're already paying B, there's a good chance they'll waive the change fee if you upgrade to F.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why buy a B fare so far in advance? Especially if it's not a B-UP and you're not trying to confirm an instrument-supported upgrade at the time of purchase?
B gets +50% MQMs.

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 15, 2015 at 7:38 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
B gets +50% MQMs.
Yes, but it's also the second highest coach fare class, so there's no need to purchase it so far in advance.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
$250 change fee required
I've never been charged a change fee to upgrade to first class providing I stay on the same flight. There's been a couple times where I wanted to sit up front on one way ofntebtrip and the cabin was wide open on the other flight and/or I had a decent c+ seat and didn't care about that upgrade so I had to call to have an agent make the change since you can't upgrade one flight online and they always waived the fee. With the old swu's there were a couple times I decided to use them after purchasing a ticket in a lower fare class and had to call and there was also never a change fee to buy up to the required fare class
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Jazz Fest in NOLA then to SJC via LAX 1st thing Monday AM after Jazz Fest. Lots of people heading to LAX MSP-MSY-LAX-SJC-MSP

I found the reason. The claim is 1st is full MSY-LAX even though the seat map shows empty.

Last edited by hnewman; Nov 1, 2015 at 11:08 am Reason: Just called.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Jazz Fest in NOLA then to SJC via LAX 1st thing Monday AM after Jazz Fest. Lots of people heading to LAX MSP-MSY-LAX-SJC-MSP

I found the reason. The claim is 1st is full MSY-LAX even though the seat map shows empty.
The Monday after JF is May 2. There are 3 MSY-LAX non-stop on the schedule and there are F seats available on all, the first flight is wide open and the second has 3 seats left, but they are only selling F, no GAP on both of them for $1,345. The 3rd flight at 6:55 PM has 2 P available. The early flight MSY-SLC-LAX has A and G available.

The above is based on a trial OW booking I just did.

As an aside, I wouldn't spend $1,345 for F on an A319 on that route.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
The Monday after JF is May 2. There are 3 MSY-LAX non-stop on the schedule and there are F seats available on all, the first flight is wide open and the second has 3 seats left, but they are only selling F, no GAP on both of them for $1,345. The 3rd flight at 6:55 PM has 2 P available. The early flight MSY-SLC-LAX has A and G available.

The above is based on a trial OW booking I just did.

As an aside, I wouldn't spend $1,345 for F on an A319 on that route.
1st I should have said that I need to be in in SJC (hence routing MSY-LAX-SJC) as early as possible as I am attending a conference hence my travel via LAX 1st flight of the AM. I just called again (3rd time) and they want an additional collect of $1050. I agree it says wide open but I cannot get them to price the flight at a reasonable amount. I should I have called when I booked it as all they wanted for the whole itinary was $219. Bad me. Thanks for looking for me.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I just priced MSY-SLC-SJC first flight for $680 in P on the 2nd. It's about $300 over Y. You could also be getting a quote for the entire trip and might well be out of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.