Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: SPG, DL
ATL-DCA $90 RT offer at check in on the mobile app. Obviously took it.

The surprising thing was that AMEX considered this eligible for the $200 fee reimbursement on the AMEX Plat card and the credit showed up Friday. Hadn't seen anyone post that FCM was eligible for the fee credit before (if I missed it I apologize).
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by mattp1987
How is this any different from someone high on the UG list checking in two hours before departure? I often wait until I'm certain that I won't need to try a SDC to check in because I've found those are easier for the agents to process if I'm not checked in. This often means I check in 1-2 hours for a flight.
That's why I try not to look at the upgrade list if I haven't cleared until I get to the airport. A lot of last minute changes can happen.

Flight before can cancel which will total change the upgrade list. People on a paid first ticket can SDC at the last minute (yesterday I was flying out of IAD on a FCM ticket and was near DCA having brunch with some friends and noticed there was still a First class seat available on a flight leaving in 70 minutes and called and got the last seat and my friends dropped me off at the airport and I got home a lot earlier and didn't have to go out to IAD.

In the case mentioned about buying a seat two hours in advance, it's possible if the OP was a diamond that all the diamonds had already cleared ahead of time anyway.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
That's why I try not to look at the upgrade list if I haven't cleared until I get to the airport. A lot of last minute changes can happen.
Haha, yes, the other reason I don't check in early if I haven't cleared in advance is so that I don't torture myself checking a mostly useless UG list every 30 minutes all day long.

Flight before can cancel which will total change the upgrade list. People on a paid first ticket can SDC at the last minute (yesterday I was flying out of IAD on a FCM ticket and was near DCA having brunch with some friends and noticed there was still a First class seat available on a flight leaving in 70 minutes and called and got the last seat and my friends dropped me off at the airport and I got home a lot earlier and didn't have to go out to IAD.
Nice score! ^
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
ATL-DCA $90 RT offer at check in on the mobile app. Obviously took it.

The surprising thing was that AMEX considered this eligible for the $200 fee reimbursement on the AMEX Plat card and the credit showed up Friday. Hadn't seen anyone post that FCM was eligible for the fee credit before (if I missed it I apologize).
I've noticed that Amex counts anything that displays as an "Additional Collection" as eligible for reimbursement.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by mattp1987
How is this any different from someone high on the UG list checking in two hours before departure? I often wait until I'm certain that I won't need to try a SDC to check in because I've found those are easier for the agents to process if I'm not checked in. This often means I check in 1-2 hours for a flight.
Or SDCing at the gate. Yesterday I got a ride to EWR and got there way before my flight and and was going to hang out at the SC and noticed when I got there that there was a flight leaving in 50 minutes so ran to the gate and luckily the GA was still processing the upgrade list and was able to give me the last seat in First. The last person on the upgrade list was waiting by the podium for her to finish clearing it and I could tell he wasn't too happy.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
In the case mentioned about buying a seat two hours in advance, it's possible if the OP was a diamond that all the diamonds had already cleared ahead of time anyway.
Hard to know these days how many people clear in advance or at the gate. Only data point I have is that the DM next to me was on an award and got up front because whomever had that seat was a no-show.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:59 pm

Hi Everyone,
I just booked a one way YHZ-JFK-FLL flight. I booked it through an online Canadian travel agent.
When I go to DL.Com and check my reservation, there is no where it asks me to purchase an upgrade my flight.
Wondering if this has to do with the fact I purchased a one way flight, or that I used a travel agent?
Any insight?
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
Hi Everyone,
I just booked a one way YHZ-JFK-FLL flight. I booked it through an online Canadian travel agent.
When I go to DL.Com and check my reservation, there is no where it asks me to purchase an upgrade my flight.
Wondering if this has to do with the fact I purchased a one way flight, or that I used a travel agent?
Any insight?
The latter.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
The latter.
Well that sucks.
Will this also prevent an offer for paid upgrade to FC on OLCI?

Should I keep checking my res from time to time to see if a paid upgrade is offered or just not waste my time because of the travel agent?
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
Well that sucks.
Will this also prevent an offer for paid upgrade to FC on OLCI?

Should I keep checking my res from time to time to see if a paid upgrade is offered or just not waste my time because of the travel agent?
At check-in it's possible because at that point Delta controls the ticket. You don't get it in advance because Delta would have to take over the ticket from the TA.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National Executive
There is really a huge gap in the FCM from day to day. We are taking a family member to New York during Thanksgiving and F is barely full at this point. Yesterday it was $90 to upgrade each person to F for the whole trip. I decided I would do it since I'm Diamond, my partner is Gold and our nephew is no status. Today the offer came up at $307 per person for the whole trip, which is not worth it. We are in EC+ and will get free drinks and great seats on the CR7 that just replaced the E145 on this route.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by air1jdg
There is really a huge gap in the FCM from day to day. We are taking a family member to New York during Thanksgiving and F is barely full at this point. Yesterday it was $90 to upgrade each person to F for the whole trip. I decided I would do it since I'm Diamond, my partner is Gold and our nephew is no status. Today the offer came up at $307 per person for the whole trip, which is not worth it. We are in EC+ and will get free drinks and great seats on the CR7 that just replaced the E145 on this route.
I'm guessing that you should have decided yesterday.
Why on earth would you wait? Did you think the price would go down?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
It's $160 (total, or $80 each way) for me to buy first instead of coach from ATL to DFW and back again (at time of initial purchase). I know it's ultimately subjective based on how much you value the cabin, but is that a deal that most around here would snap up? I'm on the fence mainly because I'm diamond and have won the upgrade roulette a bunch lately.

Last edited by GatorBlues; Oct 22, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
It's $160 for me to buy first instead of coach from ATL to DFW and back again (at time of initial purchase). I know it's ultimately subjective based on how much you value the cabin, but is that a deal that most around here would snap up? I'm on the fence mainly because I'm diamond and have won the upgrade roulette a bunch lately.
I would not pay that for the F seat and service.

I would certainly pay that if I anticipated needing SDC flexibility on either leg.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by gooselee
I would not pay that for the F seat and service.

I would certainly pay that if I anticipated needing SDC flexibility on either leg.
I agree with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.