Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I don't think it will lose them money - just not make as much as the markets were hoping for. In my case with the above cited example, it could be argued on routes of relatively low popularity at weekend, as a DM I would have got the UGs anyway. DL thus gain some extra bucks and I don't have to play the lottery. I still think a win all round. IMHO

It could be argued the MSP-DTW on a Sunday evening may have been more difficult and I could have been 2/15 with 1 seat remaining.
In many cases, it's clearly losing them money. When F is $500 and Y is $800, that's obvious. When FCM costs $40 and the passenger checks 2 bags, Delta is losing money even if they claim they got paid $40 for the seats.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
I had to bite about an hour ago....the total ticket price from DEN-MSP-SFO was $144. DEN-MSP = 680 miles...MSP-SFO= 1,589 miles. Just purchased the Upgrade for an extra $110 putting me in First for both flights. Not $110 per flight...a grand total of $110.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by sethb
In many cases, it's clearly losing them money. When F is $500 and Y is $800, that's obvious. When FCM costs $40 and the passenger checks 2 bags, Delta is losing money even if they claim they got paid $40 for the seats.
Technically they would only "lose money" if the cost of providing the F seat is greater than the extra $$$ they charge for it. I would bet that the actual incremental cost of providing that F seat is relatively low, particularly if it might otherwise go out empty. And although it's somewhat rare I have been on a few flights in the last 2-3 weeks that I have been flying on DL that have had an empty F seat or 2...
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by waltinsocal
I had to bite about an hour ago....the total ticket price from DEN-MSP-SFO was $144. DEN-MSP = 680 miles...MSP-SFO= 1,589 miles. Just purchased the Upgrade for an extra $110 putting me in First for both flights. Not $110 per flight...a grand total of $110.
That would a "no-brainer" for me too... score!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I had to bite just a few minutes ago. Flying to Dc soon and Dulles fcm fare is $30 less than Reagan coach fare. Hoping I can sdc into the ca flights I really wanted on and the flights I wanted on to and from da were almost $100 more
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I had to bite just a few minutes ago. Flying to Dc soon and Dulles fcm fare is $30 less than Reagan coach fare. Hoping I can sdc into the ca flights I really wanted on and the flights I wanted on to and from da were almost $100 more
I fly out of SoFla and am fine at MIA, FLL, or PBI... it's amazing the differences I find in fares down here... many times I find FCM fares that are less than Y fares on other carriers. I found a FCM fare to DAL that was over $300 less than the direct Y fare to DFW a couple of weeks back. I'm good to connect in ATL w/ guaranteed F seats r/t and saving a nice little pile of $$$.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by krlcomm
I fly out of SoFla and am fine at MIA, FLL, or PBI... it's amazing the differences I find in fares down here... many times I find FCM fares that are less than Y fares on other carriers. I found a FCM fare to DAL that was over $300 less than the direct Y fare to DFW a couple of weeks back. I'm good to connect in ATL w/ guaranteed F seats r/t and saving a nice little pile of $$$.
I agree about such Florida. There have been a couple times where Fll was cheaper in first than coach and I just bought the Fll fare and every time but twice I was able to sdc onto Miami. If I couldn't I just got a ride from lauderdale and e price difference was well worth the added travels time. I love the coterminous benefit.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum
FCM works great for me. I usually fly first class and plan well in advance so I have been able to take advantage of some great first class fares. I don't worry about "status" or playing the upgrade game. Now that Delta is monetizing a greater number of first class seats I just wish they would improve the meal options.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Technically they would only "lose money" if the cost of providing the F seat is greater than the extra $$$ they charge for it. I would bet that the actual incremental cost of providing that F seat is relatively low, particularly if it might otherwise go out empty. And although it's somewhat rare I have been on a few flights in the last 2-3 weeks that I have been flying on DL that have had an empty F seat or 2...
When F is $500 and Y is $800, it's hard to see how the cost of providing F is under -$300.

Similarly, when FCM is $40 and Delta forgoes $60 in baggage fees in return, it's hard to see how the cost of providing F is under $-20.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
DCA-ATL-MCO booked into T class for $150. C+ is showing $35 per segment, F upgrade is $80 for both. Pretty easy decision.

Now that I've checked though, the same flight I booked yesterday dropped to $130 today. I'm within the 24 hour risk-free cancellation window, so I'm thinking of canceling and rebooking to save the $20.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by cmd320
DCA-ATL-MCO booked into T class for $150. C+ is showing $35 per segment, F upgrade is $80 for both. Pretty easy decision.

Now that I've checked though, the same flight I booked yesterday dropped to $130 today. I'm within the 24 hour risk-free cancellation window, so I'm thinking of canceling and rebooking to save the $20.
Did you upgrade? If you did, there is no guarantee as to whether you will get an upgrade offer if you rebook (could be a higher total price also).
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if so, I'd be curious to know what the FCM offer is ... I'm inclined to guess $100 (if not more)
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Did you upgrade? If you did, there is no guarantee as to whether you will get an upgrade offer if you rebook (could be a higher total price also).
Did not upgrade yet. I specifically held back on upgrading until after the 24-hour window expired with a situation like this in mind.

Update:

Went ahead with the risk-free cancellation just to see what would happen. Re-booked into X this time instead of T on the first reservation, the initial upgrade offer (prior to purchase) was $100 or 10,000 miles. I went ahead and purchased before upgrading and sure enough, dropped to $80 again for an upgrade on both flights. It may be useful for some to note that the mileage option was not offered after purchasing, only the $80 cash option.

Last edited by cmd320; Jul 27, 2015 at 2:34 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Not a great FCM but

I've been offered $208 to upgrade SFO - LAX - RDU since I booked it (on a V fare). At booking it amounted to the fare difference between my fare and the cheapest available F.

However now, roughly 25 hours before departure it's cheaper than the cheapest bookable F fare with 5 empty F seats on the DL seat map right now on the LAX-RDU.

I have no interest bc I have an exit row seat via AS MVP and it's a redeye.

FWIW C+ is a combined $104 for both legs so it's a pretty inexpensive premium that I would jump on the F upgrade if it was a daytime flight and I was checking bags (and didn't have an exit row with no one in the middle seat for free)
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Booking a trip... coach was $687 and FC was $942. $255 difference, which was beyond what I would be willing to pay for the FCM.

Selected the itinerary, and got the message that the fare was now $572 in coach. Figured that removed all consideration of the FCM.

Clicked through to the purchase screen, and was offered the FCM for $255 anyway. Declined.

Went to the seat selection page and the FCM was now $193 RT.

Logged out of my account and searched the same itinerary. DL.dumb was back to $687 and $942. So I am in FC for $177 less than the published FC fare.

Just like haggling over the price of a trinket in a 3rd world bazaar.

And, BTW, when I opted for the FCM, I received some message like "Welcome to Business Class"

Looks like one of my MD88 segments has the same flight number as a TATL flight. So, the computer thinks I am in Business Class.

What an example of porcine make-up application.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.