Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RIP CVG

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
CVG-CDG benefits from having guaranteed GE Aviation parts going to Airbus in France, along with executives. Not to mention other area companies.

I've heard from several sources that this flight is in the top 5 of Delta's most profitable international flights. I think it returns when things normalize.
The latter may be true, but not because of the former. Cargo makes up less than 2% of pax airline's revenues (pre-COVID of course). Additionally CVG (and ILN) is one of the largest air cargo hubs in the US, there's plenty of other options to ship things to Europe. Then of course there's also the UPS Worldport hub 2 hours away.
Old May 28, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HDQDD
The latter may be true, but not because of the former. Cargo makes up less than 2% of pax airline's revenues (pre-COVID of course). Additionally CVG (and ILN) is one of the largest air cargo hubs in the US, there's plenty of other options to ship things to Europe. Then of course there's also the UPS Worldport hub 2 hours away.
On this particular flight, cargo is a big factor. As mentioned, mostly specialized GE engine parts for Airbus. It seems that GE has decided that shipping the parts via this flight is better than using a cargo carrier (perhaps as part of an agreement to keep the flight running for business traffic as well).
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
On this particular flight, cargo is a big factor. As mentioned, mostly specialized GE engine parts for Airbus. It seems that GE has decided that shipping the parts via this flight is better than using a cargo carrier (perhaps as part of an agreement to keep the flight running for business traffic as well).
If that's true, I guess it's not surprising that GE is in the shape it's in. Most other companies know there are less expensive ways to manage inventory. I find it hard to believe GE (and its customers (i.e. Airbus)) wouldn't stock parts in Europe (and every other major region). Especially since they know far in advance what the demand will be from customers like Airbus.
Old May 28, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
If that's true, I guess it's not surprising that GE is in the shape it's in. Most other companies know there are less expensive ways to manage inventory. I find it hard to believe GE (and its customers (i.e. Airbus)) wouldn't stock parts in Europe (and every other major region). Especially since they know far in advance what the demand will be from customers like Airbus.
Umm because eventually you have to replenish your inventories? Also, I hardly think that companies stockpile parts months in advance for production orders that are never guaranteed to be filled anyway.

GE Aviation is north of Cincinnati, and they send parts to Airbus' main facility in Toulouse. It's not that hard to figure out.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I would venture a guess that the remaining routes at CVG are profitable or they would have been pulled a long time ago. Delta also recently renewed the lease for their concourse. No way CVG would let them out of it.
Old May 28, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
As the GE Aviation division brought in nearly $7 billion in profit for 2019 and just over $6 billion in profit on 2018, as noted in simple Google searches for GE Aviation profit, something tells me they’re doing something right and have been for a while. Manufacturing parts across the globe and shipping parts like this is quite common in the aerospace industry.
Old May 28, 2020, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I would venture a guess that the remaining routes at CVG are profitable or they would have been pulled a long time ago. Delta also recently renewed the lease for their concourse. No way CVG would let them out of it.
They renewed it for 5 years in 2015 and it expires at the end of this year --
https://www.cvgairport.com/about/new...-use-agreement

Also, AA moved to Concourse B in 2018 and took gates 18, 20, 22, 24, and 26 (to make room for WN). Presumably they are either sub-leasing them from DL and DL was given some sort discount in their lease as I doubt DL would let AA use them without some kind of arrangement that reduced their expenses.

I still believe that DL will retain it's CVG focus city due to the corporate contracts, but they aren't being held by any long term leases at this point (concourse C was leased until 2025, but CVG let DL out of it early so they could tear it down).

Last edited by xliioper; May 28, 2020 at 9:27 pm
Old May 28, 2020, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Across the network as a whole cargo revenue is not a commercial passenger airlines primary source of revenue but there are many routes that sustain significantly on cargo revenue. CVG-CDG is one, as noted with GE Aviation parts going to Europe . ATL-LIM/LIM-ATL is another route that garners signtivant cargo revenue (fresh produce from the area) and is the reason DL runs widebodies (including 777s at one point) to LIM.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by xliioper
They renewed it for 5 years in 2015 and it expires at the end of this year --
https://www.cvgairport.com/about/new...-use-agreement

Also, AA moved to Concourse B in 2018 and took gates 18, 20, 22, 24, and 26 (to make room for WN). Presumably they are either sub-leasing them from DL and DL was given some sort discount in their lease as I doubt DL would let AA use them without some kind of arrangement that reduced their expenses.

I still believe that DL will retain it's CVG focus city due to the corporate contracts, but they aren't being held by any long term leases at this point (concourse C was leased until 2025, but CVG let DL out of it early so they could tear it down).
AA is only on B temporarily while the ramp on A is resurfaced. That information was posted on FT.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
AA is only on B temporarily while the ramp on A is resurfaced. That information was posted on FT.
It's been two years now and AA is still using B. How long does it take to resurface a ramp?
Old May 28, 2020, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by xliioper
It's been two years now and AA is still using B. How long does it take to resurface a ramp?
If it's union labor doing the renovations then AA will probably go through two more mergers before they're back on A... But maybe you should be asking the airport authority.
Old May 29, 2020, 6:47 am

Umm because eventually you have to replenish your inventories?
Seriously? You replenish your inventory with one of the most expensive shipping methods there is? Of course not, you ship it to other distribution centers using cheaper methods, i.e. via boat. Then parts are in position when needed and can be sent to the customer's location via truck.

GE Aviation is north of Cincinnati, and they send parts to Airbus' main facility in Toulouse. It's not that hard to figure out.
Thanks for stating what's already been established...slow clap.
Old May 29, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
As the GE Aviation division brought in nearly $7 billion in profit for 2019 and just over $6 billion in profit on 2018, as noted in simple Google searches for GE Aviation profit, something tells me theyre doing something right and have been for a while. Manufacturing parts across the globe and shipping parts like this is quite common in the aerospace industry.
GE Aviation != GE, but good try with the straw man. GE Aviation is a part of GE (for better or worse) and they don't operate in a bubble. Like I alluded to: GE has lost money the last 3 full years. Most recently -5bil in 2019. Their stock is at a 10 year low, while the rest of the market is significantly higher. I sure as heck wouldn't invest in that.
Old May 29, 2020, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GE Aviation != GE, but good try with the straw man. GE Aviation is a part of GE (for better or worse) and they don't operate in a bubble. Like I alluded to: GE has lost money the last 3 full years. Most recently -5bil in 2019. Their stock is at a 10 year low, while the rest of the market is significantly higher. I sure as heck wouldn't invest in that.
Thats not a straw a man as Im aware of that. My fact pointed out that GE Aviation isnt the problem within GE as a whole and that despite the other problems within GE, GE Aviation is one of its strongest areas and isnt contributing to GEs losses. You arguing to the contrary about GE as a whole when the discussion was about GE Aviation is the strawman.

You could just admit you were wrong or unaware and say Gee I didnt that despite cargo being small potatoes across the network as a whole that some specific routes do operate profitably in large part due to cargo. But based on your last response and responses to other posters, I guess youd rather be argumentative.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; May 29, 2020 at 7:45 am
Old May 29, 2020, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Across the network as a whole cargo revenue is not a commercial passenger airlines primary source of revenue but there are many routes that sustain significantly on cargo revenue. CVG-CDG is one, as noted with GE Aviation parts going to Europe . ATL-LIM/LIM-ATL is another route that garners signtivant cargo revenue (fresh produce from the area) and is the reason DL runs widebodies (including 777s at one point) to LIM.
I've worked on the ramp and in cargo for an airline (at it's East Coast gateway hub). Yes, there are certain flights that do pretty well with cargo revs. Por ejemplo the LIM flight you mention is likely because of fresh flowers certain times of the year. However, these flights are an exception and not the norm. I've also worked in Rev Management, I can't recall any flight pax flight ever justified by cargo. The cargo market is very competitive in the US. There's a reason none of the U.S. airlines have cargo only airplanes anymore (edit: maybe AS does?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.