Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lowest Delta Fare Class does not earn MQMs? Yes It Does, Says Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lowest Delta Fare Class does not earn MQMs? Yes It Does, Says Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by andymo99
Thanks SkyMilesInsider.

Mods - please amend thread title.
I'm not so sure it needs to be amended yet. SMI said that it will earn FFMs, not MQMs. He very easily could have said MQMs, but he chose the VERY generic term Frequent Flyer Miles instead.

I think that's called being intentionally vague.
Old May 17, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta 1MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz - PC, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TTT
I would disagree. The flyer on the 2 paid BE tickets a year is much more profitable than the LUT flyer as many LUT fares don't or just break even when looking at the RASM vs CASM. The 2 paid BE tickets earn Delta a nice profit all of the time.

The profit logic being that a airline can exist with just BE passengers?
Old May 17, 2011, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by DL_TIDE
The profit logic being that a airline can exist with just BE passengers?
Yeah, just look at YX...oh wait...

In this era of 'unbundling', I think it boils down to DL's answer to this question: are RDMs/MQMs/whatever either an ancillary product that costs extra (a la food, checked bags, etc.) or are they a marketing tool designed to sell the product?

Regardless, there is a cost to DL to maintain the program, but think what would happen if the grocery store tried to charge a fee to use your frequent shopper card...
Old May 17, 2011, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by kicker
I'm not so sure it needs to be amended yet. SMI said that it will earn FFMs, not MQMs. He very easily could have said MQMs, but he chose the VERY generic term Frequent Flyer Miles instead.

Isn't it a pity that we have to be so circumspect?

Neither did he say that the miles would be 100% of the base miles.

Let's hope for the best, but hold our final opinion.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thezipper
...and you continue to be shocked by this????

fool me once, shame on me... fool me twice... well by my last count they've tried to fool me about 6 times since the merger... issues like this make it hard for me to invest in a company. Sneaky middle of the night reprogramming with a "whoops you caught us" apology later does nothing to engender loyalty.
+1. What sickens me with DL the most is the unannounced changes. They have done this time and time again. Most recent with Asia changes (redemption levels and loss of Asia Gold SC membership).

Heck, to this date they still have not said a word. I did happen to get a packet saying 20K at the old level, talk about bait and switch...

Originally Posted by avidflyer
I have less of an issue with the strategy and more with execution.
Well, strategy is really dumb too. SMI only confirmed RDM's, not MQM's. I think DL's silence and lack of response only means one thing, they are about to start a new level of screwing customers. And when we all throw a fit Jeff and his buddies will start complaining about too many miles etc blah blah blah. The problem is the marriage with Amex and roll-over.

I think we do need to move to Save SMII. Wasn't SMI started with the reduction of MQM's on the lower fare classes?

I can't believe this isn't doing more to get people mad...
Old May 18, 2011, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by mnredfox
And when we all throw a fit Jeff and his buddies will start complaining about too many miles etc blah blah blah. The problem is the marriage with Amex and roll-over.
People forget that Jeff was not the SkyMiles VP (or, older title, Managing Director) during the 2001-2004 sLUT debacles. He started his career at Delta with Rev. Mgmt., where the sLUT debacles originated.

About 4 years ago he placed a hint in one of his hit-&-run postings that reduced miles should be paid for lower fares. To find it, search for the word "channeling" (Flyin' Mom asked if he was channeling Leo ). The V fares should be no surprise given the track record of both Rev. Mgmt. & SkyMiles Mgmt.

Nothing really changes on Virginia Ave., except that they've learned to worked more incrementally & discretely. Anyone who thinks they're on "our" side is smoking something.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I find it a little bit premature to worry about regular paid fares on delta.com not earning miles (of one or both sorts) even as DL management would probably love to again further gut the value of miles earned from flights for flights, no less so for those trips that are considered by DL management to be "discount" economy class fares.

The names and/or faces may change, but the flavor of DL HQ kool-aid remains as is.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by thezipper
...and you continue to be shocked by this????

fool me once, shame on me... fool me twice... well by my last count they've tried to fool me about 6 times since the merger... issues like this make it hard for me to invest in a company. Sneaky middle of the night reprogramming with a "whoops you caught us" apology later does nothing to engender loyalty.
+1

This is just par for the course.

Compared to their long-term track record prior to the merger ...
... they've been relatively benign since the merger (until this).
Old May 18, 2011, 1:57 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dickinson
Am I reading this correctly that the thread turns out to be mostly rank speculation and unwarranted inferences? Hard to believe such a thing could happen on Flyertalk....

1. You are not reading this thread correctly.
2. If you don't like a thread, you don't have to continue reading it.
3. If you don't like FT, you don't have to continue reading it or participating in it.
Old May 18, 2011, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox
+1. What sickens me with DL the most is the unannounced changes. They have done this time and time again. Most recent with Asia changes (redemption levels and loss of Asia Gold SC membership).

Heck, to this date they still have not said a word. I did happen to get a packet saying 20K at the old level, talk about bait and switch...
I guess you missed SMI's post above - that, or simply choose to ignore it and to perpetuate your complaint.

As for unannounced changes, documentation showed that E is a non-earning class. Anyone buying E under that set of rules has no reason to expect that miles will be earned. No further announcement is necessary. Could mot29 have purchased the E fare and found himself not earning miles? He could have - but was too smart for that.
Old May 18, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kicker

I am banking that SMI also meant MQMs..so lets hope he comes back with more clarification..and also to verify that E class is eligible for complimentary medallion upgrades.
Old May 18, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
. Could mot29 have purchased the E fare and found himself not earning miles? He could have - but was too smart for that.
Thank you 3Cforme. Yes I did check the rules before buying an E fare. But how many customers aren't savvy enough to check?
Old May 18, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mot29
Thank you 3Cforme. Yes I did check the rules before buying an E fare. But how many customers aren't savvy enough to check?
I bought my E fare on Friday the 13th. Maybe that's why I should have become suspicious?

In all seriousness, what was I supposed to check? The website is tragically BROKEN.

Should I have checked the fare class rules? It makes no mention of E fare classes, only lumping anything not present on the website as "all other."

Should I have checked the MQM calculation? We all know the website has been posting incorrect MQMs for quite a while now.
Old May 18, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by SkyMilesInsider
Thanks for flagging this for us – we have had a number of eyes on this item today. Let’s cut to the chase - these fares do earn frequent flyer miles. We are working to correct the way the mileage is displayed at delta.com. Rest assured, miles will post to your accounts on these fares.
While we wait to learn whether this means that the base level of 100% eqms and Skymiles will continued to be maintained with these fares, let me just take a moment to thank you and all of the other great Delta / Northwest employees that have done a great job of customer service for us over the years - you folks are the reason that I have so far continued to fly Delta quite a bit the last couple of years even after a serious of disappointments following the merger - especially unannounced eilte benefit and award program changes. Hopefully Delta rep participation on public forums like Flyertalk can be stepped up again and the unwanted surprises will become a thing of the past.

So I hope Delta will see fit to give customers more of a heads up going forward of program changes. I'll cite just one recent example - the unannounced restructuring of the award program for intra-Asia redemptions and the reduction in benefits for Asian Skymiles members was a huge devaluation of skymiles for a significant segment of your customers - the overnight changes caught lots of them by surprise and has turned off many customers from Delta. Sadly, that was not the first time I experienced something like that after coming over to Delta from Northwest.
Old May 18, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
E - just another opportunity to confuse

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I find it a little bit premature to worry about regular paid fares on delta.com not earning miles (of one or both sorts) even as DL management would probably love to again further gut the value of miles earned from flights for flights, no less so for those trips that are considered by DL management to be "discount" economy class fares.

The names and/or faces may change, but the flavor of DL HQ kool-aid remains as is.
Which brings me to this observation - when the discounted FC and Business fares were introduced (P,A,I,S, and D), the fare class mileage credit (Paid/Flown) was consistent with the mileage charts - 1.5X RDM and 1.5X MQM.

Then comes monetization and you get a D fare class (domestic as an example) and it lists out at H/D (Paid/Flown) for mileage accrual. Initially, the accrual was an H fare Class (discounted Economy) accrual (no 1.5X MQM). Since then it has changed and the "up" type fares now include a 1.5X MQM "Delta 50% Class of Service Bonus for UP fares."

Nowhere was this ever announced or discussed including on the Earn Miles with Delta table on the website. In fact, the column labeled "Purchased Accrual Classes" is inconsistent with the itinerary labeled "fare class" and unrelated to the booking codes used on tickets themselves. The whole "FC monetization" scheme is so poorly communicated and has been so inconsistently implemented that regardless of any financial windfall, the fallout on elites in terms of impressions - real or imagined - may well exceed the gain.

And now we get E class fare classes which on the table are mixed in with R, O, and N class? R is a domestic FC Award ticket, N is a Coach Award ticket and O is a BE Award ticket - what is an E?. Another opportunity to confuse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.