Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lowest Delta Fare Class does not earn MQMs? Yes It Does, Says Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lowest Delta Fare Class does not earn MQMs? Yes It Does, Says Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2011, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
OK, who owes who on the earlier wagers? Thanks for your participation SMI.
Assuming they come back and say 100% mqms I owe 10,000 miles to somebody here.
Old May 17, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Assuming they come back and say 100% mqms I owe 10,000 miles to somebody here.
LOL
Old May 17, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SkyMilesInsider
Thanks for flagging this for us – we have had a number of eyes on this item today. Let’s cut to the chase - these fares do earn frequent flyer miles. We are working to correct the way the mileage is displayed at delta.com. Rest assured, miles will post to your accounts on these fares.

Updates to delta.com will be made shortly, and we are working to communicate this information through our reservations and online help organizations as well.
Dearest Delta, please DON'T OFFER A FARE CLASS THAT WILL DIFFER FROM STANDARD WITHOUT POSTING IT FIRST.

Thanks.

Last edited by kicker; May 17, 2011 at 8:53 pm
Old May 17, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
Originally Posted by bubbashow
TOTALLY agree, BUT should that customer be given even MORE perks?
More (than now), maybe not. Fewer than now... well, I don't know. Thinking egoistically, of course I'd be unhappy if something were taken away from me. But, equally obviously, that's the airline's call, not mine.

Originally Posted by bubbashow
I've had years where I maxed the system and got plenty of F upgrades, etc. At the root of it, I knew I didn't deserve it. Now that my spend is significant and I buy a lot of tickets that aren't sLUT fares, I see the difference and honestly think I am entitled to more....I am more valuable to the bottom line.

On the same note, Stefan....if you are a Y/B traveler, YOU are more-valuable than I am.
I don't really fancy the word 'deserve' (or 'fair', for that matter) in this context; the rules are what they are, and there isn't really any other definition of 'deserve' here than 'can have it according to these rules'. That being said, if you buy a lot of non-sLUT, I have no doubt, and absolutely no problem admitting, that you are more valuable to Delta (money-wise) than I am. And I do understand that the rules which actually have me ahead of you on the upgrade list can appear 'skewed'. Well... what can I say? Either one of us, or both, can leave at any time if we don't like the rules And if a large number of people happen not to like them, they may well end up changing them.
Old May 17, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Airline economics is actually rather simple.

Maximize revenue.

The plane costs almost as much to fly empty as when it's full. Try to get some money out of every seat. You can argue that a sLUT flier is profitable when paying for seats that would otherwise go empty. That last little bit of revenue may be enough to tip the flight from a loss to a profit.

David
Couldn't put it better myself!
Old May 17, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Am I reading this correctly that the thread turns out to be mostly rank speculation and unwarranted inferences? Hard to believe such a thing could happen on Flyertalk....
Old May 17, 2011, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dickinson
Am I reading this correctly that the thread turns out to be mostly rank speculation and unwarranted inferences? Hard to believe such a thing could happen on Flyertalk....
No you are completely wrong and off base. The thread was started because several E fares popped up on DL.com that were priced very nicely. They had a note that they earn 0 MQMs or miles ON THE RECIEPT FOR THE TICKET. Call after call to Delta resulted in DETLA telling prospective purchasers of these tickets that they would NOT earn miles.

If you just spent $1200 for a ticket and saw the reference and had 4 agents tell you to not book it because it will not earn miles what would you do?

Speculation and inference...maybe from your post

BTW, if you actually took the time to read the thread you are commenting on you would have seen the numerous screen shots, transcripts and actual emails from DL that support the title of the thread.

Last edited by avidflyer; May 17, 2011 at 6:16 pm
Old May 17, 2011, 6:11 pm

Yeah, we should just ask Delta to clarify.

Oh wait...
Old May 17, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by avidflyer
BTW, if you actually took the time to read the thread you are commenting on you would have seen the numerous screen shots, transcripts and actual emails from DL that support the title of the thread.
Is that all there is in this thread? No posters pointing out that you were way ahead of yourself, and DL would end up giving miles for these fares?
Old May 17, 2011, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is that all there is in this thread? No posters pointing out that you were way ahead of yourself, and DL would end up giving miles for these fares?
Yea but they did not have any $$ on the line. It is easy to say "they will end up earning miles" when you did not just purchase a ticket (or try) and get this from a DLM agent. Who would you believe?:

Dear Mr. Avidflyer

Thank you for your reply.

We are working with our delta.com team and are currently unsure if the booking process would fail when booked in the E fare. Your ticket, if booked in an E fare, would not be eligible for MQMs. I recommend booking in a T class to avoid any confusion later on. Again, my apologies for the incorrect information. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We genuinely appreciate your support and trust.

Sincerely,

Medallion Desk
www.delta.com
Old May 17, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Gold
I do believe this would be a perfect example of the old adage about a cart being in front of a horse.....
Old May 17, 2011, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by murphysxm
I do believe this would be a perfect example of the old adage about a cart being in front of a horse.....
I totally agree. Delta is selling fare classes before they even define what those fare classes are.
Old May 17, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
In my case, I was making a logic guess based on what would be a major business blunder on Delta's part as well as the fact that I have no faith in their IT/Website department. If Delta IT ran like a well oiled machine, I would have assumed the posted fares from the website (as well as all the CSAs) were correct. But, we all know that isn't true and that Delta's IT department is nearly as bad as their baggage handling.
Old May 17, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Actually, I think KVS called it.
Old May 17, 2011, 8:32 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Thanks SkyMilesInsider.

Mods - please amend thread title.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.