Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pvn
Yes, but that doesn't mean everyone is actually going to be on board. THey don't know that no shows aren't going to show until the end. I'm not sure what you want them to do, predict how many people aren't going to show up?
If the GA knows (and he/she should) that there are connecting passengers coming from delayed flights, that GA should be able to make an educated guess that at least some of these passengers will miss the flight. Most GAs tend to monitor these situations.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
I have had a situation more than once where there was a delay and I specifically asked the Captain on the way out why it occurred and they said mechanical, but when I arrived a customer service, they tried to claim it was weather-related. Upon informing them that the Captain said it was mechanical and that I would like to speak with a supervisor, they acquiesced and gave me appropriate compensation.

This type of thing is the cheesiest shenanigan they can try to pull. How does it benefit them to screw a paying customer. Makes one wonder if the delta workers get some type of compensation for screwing customers out of their rightful compensation. Maybe gold stars or something. I can just imagine the staff meeting..."ok, so and so screwed 126 customers out of their rightful benefits - he/she gets the employee of the week award"
Old May 9, 2017, 2:07 pm

To assume it was weather until challenged seems to be the way they operate.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:46 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the GA knows (and he/she should) that there are connecting passengers coming from delayed flights, that GA should be able to make an educated guess that at least some of these passengers will miss the flight. Most GAs tend to monitor these situations.
That's not really directly relevant to what we were discussing, though. Rylan never talked to the GA, he just saw that the app showed all seats assigned and boarded.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pvn
That's not really directly relevant to what we were discussing, though. Rylan never talked to the GA, he just saw that the app showed all seats assigned and boarded.
The problem is that the GA announced that FC was full. A good GA would have called the first few people on the upgrade list and told them discretely that there were some FC passengers who were likely to miss connections. If the GA didn't anticipate being able to do upgrades on board, he/she could have given those elites the choice of boarding early or waiting to see whether the upgrade materialized at the end of the boarding process.

With no communication at all, no harm no fowl, but it's a situation where many of us would know what to ask the GA before boarding and not just accept a full seat map as indicating that there's no chance of an upgrade.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
The problem is that the GA announced that FC was full. A good GA would have called the first few people on the upgrade list and told them discretely that there were some FC passengers who were likely to miss connections. If the GA didn't anticipate being able to do upgrades on board, he/she could have given those elites the choice of boarding early or waiting to see whether the upgrade materialized at the end of the boarding process.

With no communication at all, no harm no fowl, but it's a situation where many of us would know what to ask the GA before boarding and not just accept a full seat map as indicating that there's no chance of an upgrade.
I certainly hope there were no birds in the gate area! If medallions can't get upgraded, why should birds?!?
Old May 9, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
I certainly hope there were no birds in the gate area! If medallions can't get upgraded, why should birds?!?
My emotional support turkey is entitled to a companion upgrade.

David
Old May 9, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DiverDave
My emotional support turkey is entitled to a companion upgrade.

David
Good point! I've certainly seen my fair share of turkeys riding up front these days....
Old May 9, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

I don't think GA should try and be psychic. All this leads to is missed off passengers upset they waited for nothing.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Correct, I didn't talk to the GA since there was the desk was mobbed with pax that I could hear asking if they can get on or standby for the flight... so based on the announcement, mass of pax, and cancellations of other flights on my route I fully expected the flight to be packed with rebooks and standbys.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:22 am
pvn
Suspended

The problem is that the GA announced that FC was full. A good GA would have called the first few people on the upgrade list and told them discretely that there were some FC passengers who were likely to miss connections.
rylan did not say that the GA announced FC was boarded full, only that it was a "full flight." He boarded with prem because he saw the on the app that FC was all assigned.

It's still not clear why the missing F pax didn't show, you can't just assume it would have been clear to the GA that they were going to be misconnects.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:23 am
pvn
Suspended

FWIW, I don't think I've boarded a flight in the last two years where the GA did not announce "this is a full flight"
Old May 10, 2017, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by pvn
FWIW, I don't think I've boarded a flight in the last two years where the GA did not announce "this is a full flight"
The worst offense I've seen was a flight with 40 open seats and the GA said something like "this is a very full flight."
Old May 10, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Widgets
The worst offense I've seen was a flight with 40 open seats and the GA said something like "this is a very full flight."
Why say that the flight is full? Do you want everyone to rush to board before their zone is called? Or are you trying to sweet talk more folks into voluntarily gate checking their bags, perhaps in advance of boarding?
Old May 10, 2017, 8:56 am
pvn
Suspended

Why they do it doesn't really matter, and nobody in this thread knows the answer anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.