Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:55 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by irishPirate
Is this Shena??

I'm #1 on the upgrade list (phone app and GIDS) for FC and C+. FC is checked in full, but C+ has 2 seats open. (For some reason, when purchasing the ticket, I could only select main cabin seats.)

I'm expecting to get the upgrade, but never happens. 2 minutes before boarding, I see C+ go to 0.

<snip>

I went up to the GA and asked why I lost the upgrade. He claims he doesn't know. He said it could have happened at the ticket counter or online. I told him I know the seats are under gate control; only he could have given them out. I asked him point blank why he gave away my upgrade. He said he didn't and doesn't know why.

<snip>

So, I go back to the GA and told he knew he gave my upgrade away. He still denied it.

<snip>

when I sat down, I was in C+. I felt a little sheepish...

<snip>

But I felt like the GA screwed me out of it.
No wonder some GA's are so miserable ...
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Is this Shena??

I'm #1 on the upgrade list (phone app and GIDS) for FC and C+. FC is checked in full, but C+ has 2 seats open. (For some reason, when purchasing the ticket, I could only select main cabin seats.)

I'm expecting to get the upgrade, but never happens. 2 minutes before boarding, I see C+ go to 0. I see the GA laughing and talking with a couple, giving them new boarding passes and putting a bag tag on their baggage. I'm suspicious but don't immediately assume they got the upgrade. They could have went from stand-by to confirmed for all I know. (See, I learned something from this site. )

I went up to the GA and asked why I lost the upgrade. He claims he doesn't know. He said it could have happened at the ticket counter or online. I told him I know the seats are under gate control; only he could have given them out. I asked him point blank why he gave away my upgrade. He said he didn't and doesn't know why.

Of course, the GIDS tells you which seats were given to the upgrade. So, I know once I got on the plane, I could confirm if the couple got it.

I always board last to wait for any no-shows in first; and because I hate waiting on the plane, but I finally board. And you know who were sitting in the upgraded seats, the lucky couple. So, I go back to the GA and told he knew he gave my upgrade away. He still denied it.

So, before I write in to Delta, I want to check with the experts. Was this Shena or am I being a whiny-a$$??

For full disclosure.... from the time I bought the ticket, Delta.com, the app, my ticket and everything else said I had a main cabin seat..... but when I sat down, I was in C+. I felt a little sheepish...

I wouldn't normally care if I missed out on the upgrade; it happens, right? But I felt like the GA screwed me out of it. That makes a difference.

Anyways....
I wouldn't waste my time writing Delta about it. You ended up in C+. Just because you didn't like how you got there isn't worth complaining about, IMO.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:41 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess it's possible they SDC'd and now that I think about it, that's quite plausible.
For the record, it was LAX - AUS on a E175,
which, according to Widgets, would explain why it showed main cabin.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When you looked at the upgrade lists on the app, did I it show 0 or 2 available C+ seats?
2 seats available.

By chance, did you look at the standby list for the flight?
I'm sorry, I didn't notice the standby list. Are non-revs processed before the upgrade list? I might have missed this tidbit in other FT threads.

It's also possible that the couple SDCed onto your flight and moved immediately and instantly to the top of the upgrade list, grabbing the upgrades.
I'm kind a thinking this is what happened. But the GA could have said so and I would have been totally cool with it. He didn't have to lie about it. Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by Widgets
You mentioned that you sat down in a Comfort+ seat but were ticketed in Main Cabin, so I infer this is a 737-800, E175, or CRJ-700.
Thanks for your reply. E175 LAX - AUS. Why would that happen?

Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
I wouldn't waste my time writing Delta about it. You ended up in C+. Just because you didn't like how you got there isn't worth complaining about, IMO.
Yeah, I knew one person wouldn't get it.

Again, thanks everyone.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Yeah, I knew one person wouldn't get it.
That was nice of you to admit it.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: Delta PM
Thanks for your reply. E175 LAX - AUS. Why would that happen?
If memory serves there are cabin retrofits taking place and certain seats, while marked as Main Cabin on the seat map, are indeed C+ and come with full C+ benefits. Until all retrofits are complete, the "old" seat maps will remain.

I'm sure Widgets will correct me, though.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by dcadwell
If memory serves there are cabin retrofits taking place and certain seats, while marked as Main Cabin on the seat map, are indeed C+ and come with full C+ benefits. Until all retrofits are complete, the "old" seat maps will remain.

I'm sure Widgets will correct me, though.
They did the same thing with the MD-88s (and 90s?) when they expanded C+ to include rows 13-15 a few years ago.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by mattp1987
They did the same thing with the MD-88s (and 90s?) when they expanded C+ to include rows 13-15 a few years ago.
Yep. Can't update the seat maps until all retrofits are done, otherwise you'd have people booking phantom C+ seats.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by UAtoDE
I have a theory:
1. Your flight was scheduled for a 737-800 (738) with 3 rows of C+ which has not yet been converted to the 738+ model with 6 rows; however, the day-of, your aircraft turned out to be the latter (explains why you found yourself in C+ unexpectedly, if you were in rows 13-15)
2. Two seats blocked in first row of C+ for special-assignment (handicapped pax etc)

Total speculation, but maybe GA had “tunnel-vision” thinking that you asking about your “upgrade” meant to F/C, and knowing you were already in C+ it didn’t occur to him/her that you may be unaware of the actual config of the aircraft (which won’t show up on the app/delta.com yet). Then again, he/she may have been unaware of the config and just obliviously cleared the nonrevs into those seats while you were still requesting an upgrade to C+.

Bolded to address a few things (in order)
1. I believe DL still advertises all 738s as having 3 rows of C+ even though most aircraft are done with mods and will have 6 rows of C+.
2. Great point
3. Also great point. If it is still the case where DL has C+ as only rows 10-12 on the seat map and it wasn't either of the two flying aircraft with the unmodded cabin, then this is a possibility.

So my opinion is it's one of the following:
A. GA saw OP in row 13-15, saw it as the OP was already in C+, no action required
B. Revenue passengers without seat assignment (SDC, last minute purchase, whatever it may be) got the seats
Old May 8, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Another Shena Thread

Yeah, but I think this one was actually Shena, and possible lazy GA.

DL43 JFK-BOS on Friday 5/5, delayed ~6hrs due to WX in the northeast. I was coming in from an international flight and rebooked on this one after my original connection was canceled. Was 1/14 on upgrade list (GUC from the international flight) for zero seats, and seatmap was full in all classes.

I boarded with premium since F showed full and pax were mobbed around the gate trying to get on the flight. Towards the end of boarding, I see 3 F seats pop open on the seatmap and I am now #1 for 3 available. A bunch of C+ become available as well.

On the app I see two pax cleared from the standby list into F, board in DL uniforms (looked like FAs) and take their seats up front. Door closes with one unassigned/open F seat that is somehow physically occupied by somebody, bunch of open C+, and around 8 other pax still on the standby list... presumably they gave up and left before boarding.

Was a short flight so I'm not really upset and I ended up with a row of C+ to myself, but sure smells fishy.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
Yeah, but I think this one was actually Shena, and possible lazy GA.

DL43 JFK-BOS on Friday 5/5, delayed ~6hrs due to WX in the northeast. I was coming in from an international flight and rebooked on this one after my original connection was canceled. Was 1/14 on upgrade list (GUC from the international flight) for zero seats, and seatmap was full in all classes.

I boarded with premium since F showed full and pax were mobbed around the gate trying to get on the flight. Towards the end of boarding, I see 3 F seats pop open on the seatmap and I am now #1 for 3 available. A bunch of C+ become available as well.

On the app I see two pax cleared from the standby list into F, board in DL uniforms (looked like FAs) and take their seats up front. Door closes with one unassigned/open F seat that is somehow physically occupied by somebody, bunch of open C+, and around 8 other pax still on the standby list... presumably they gave up and left before boarding.

Was a short flight so I'm not really upset and I ended up with a row of C+ to myself, but sure smells fishy.
YBYL, and more importantly the need to get the flight out while there was a departure slot available. Getting the flight out on time will always trump upgrades, especially if it involves pulling passengers who've already boarded up to the front on an already delayed flight. It could also be a contractual issue and the staff were needed for a flight out of BOS and thus entitled to FC. However I'm betting it was more of an we need to get the door closed and flight out while ATC has a slot open issue.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:14 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Sounds more like YBYL than shena. And really, why start a new thread when you obviously know there's an existing thread?
Old May 8, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot about this thread conglomerated thread actually... and I also thought the YBYL was not the policy. Announcement from the GA stated that the flight was full so I boarded. If they knew there were pax that weren't making the flight and seats were really available then that is purposefully deceptive.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:38 am
pvn
Suspended

They may not have known there were going to be seats available. "this is a full flight" is meaningless and at best is based on sold tickets, not how many people are actually in the gate area.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Due to multiple cancellations and rebookings, this and the one other remaining JFK-BOS flights were already zero'd out on inventory. So the statement that it is full was quite believable.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:56 am
pvn
Suspended

Yes, but that doesn't mean everyone is actually going to be on board. THey don't know that no shows aren't going to show until the end. I'm not sure what you want them to do, predict how many people aren't going to show up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.