Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Widgets
Are all your kids younger than 15?
Nope. All adults.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by sdlevi27
Nope. All adults.
Then yeah it's BS. Send a complaint to Delta with flight/PNR details and gate agent's name if you have it.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
While they should have put all 4 of you into first class a simple PNR split you and 1 kid wife and 1 kid would have solved the issue as well.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My family (party of 5, I'm DM, wife is GM) flying out of PHL this morning. Saw that our CRJ900 had 11/12 F seats available (Y only had 60 seats available). Since we were on one reservation we were not listed for upgrade (as expected).

At the gate, I tried to get 4 of us on the upgrade list (2 medallions and 2 companions). The GA said I couldn't even be listed for upgrade. That had to be done "at check in downstairs".

We're airborne and F is wide open. Laziness or some new rule?

I call BS.
Did you try to call the DM line and ask them to add you to the upgrade list, assuming that the result would not have a kid under 15 alone in coach?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you try to call the DM line and ask them to add you to the upgrade list, assuming that the result would not have a kid under 15 alone in coach?
Nope. Wasn't worth it for the 45 minute flight. I was just annoyed that a GA would tell such an outright lie to a DM and GM who clearly know how the system works.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:13 am

(party of 5, I'm DM, wife is GM)
Problem here is the GA was too lazy to split you guys to 3 PNRs of 2, 2, 1. (Or was worried about unintended downstream consequences of doing so)

Delta has a rule that says for PNR's of 3 or more, all members must be medallion members to qualify for complimentary upgrades. I used to run into this when taking the family, until both our kids got gifted GM.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Nope. Wasn't worth it for the 45 minute flight. I was just annoyed that a GA would tell such an outright lie to a DM and GM who clearly know how the system works.
The GA might not have had time to explain to you the consequences of splitting the PNRs and doing it to add you to the upgrade list before processing gate upgrades. I don't like this excuse, but it might have been the reasoning.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:12 pm

Is this Shena??

I'm #1 on the upgrade list (phone app and GIDS) for FC and C+. FC is checked in full, but C+ has 2 seats open. (For some reason, when purchasing the ticket, I could only select main cabin seats.)

I'm expecting to get the upgrade, but never happens. 2 minutes before boarding, I see C+ go to 0. I see the GA laughing and talking with a couple, giving them new boarding passes and putting a bag tag on their baggage. I'm suspicious but don't immediately assume they got the upgrade. They could have went from stand-by to confirmed for all I know. (See, I learned something from this site. )

I went up to the GA and asked why I lost the upgrade. He claims he doesn't know. He said it could have happened at the ticket counter or online. I told him I know the seats are under gate control; only he could have given them out. I asked him point blank why he gave away my upgrade. He said he didn't and doesn't know why.

Of course, the GIDS tells you which seats were given to the upgrade. So, I know once I got on the plane, I could confirm if the couple got it.

I always board last to wait for any no-shows in first; and because I hate waiting on the plane, but I finally board. And you know who were sitting in the upgraded seats, the lucky couple. So, I go back to the GA and told he knew he gave my upgrade away. He still denied it.

So, before I write in to Delta, I want to check with the experts. Was this Shena or am I being a whiny-a$$??

For full disclosure.... from the time I bought the ticket, Delta.com, the app, my ticket and everything else said I had a main cabin seat..... but when I sat down, I was in C+. I felt a little sheepish...

I wouldn't normally care if I missed out on the upgrade; it happens, right? But I felt like the GA screwed me out of it. That makes a difference.

Anyways....
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:47 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
It is possible that the C+ seats in question were sold but not selected. I have seen this on occasion where my WU "upgrade" did not clear in advance. On those occasions C+ was not available for sale either. I'm not sure what happened here but there is at least a plausible explanation that this was legitimate.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:41 am

When you looked at the upgrade lists on the app, did I it show 0 or 2 available C+ seats? If the couple were already in C+ but without seat assignments, the app should indicate 0 seats available. Note that DL tends to block two C+ seats for passengers with special needs, so you can see a full C+ seat map while DL is still selling two C+ seats on the flight.

By chance, did you look at the standby list for the flight? If the names (or even two spots) moved from standby to C+ before the GA processed the "upgrade" list, then I would assume that these were nonrevs that the GA cleared into C+ before processing your "upgrade." Revenue passengers don't get included onto the upgrade list before they've been cleared onto the flight, but nonrevs can move directly from the standby list into premium cabin (and C+) seat assignments without ever being on the upgrade list. [AFAIK some other carriers do this differently and nonrevs appear on both the standby and upgrade lists.]

It's also possible that the couple SDCed onto your flight and moved immediately and instantly to the top of the upgrade list, grabbing the upgrades. That could have been the transaction that happened at the podium, although you seemed to imply that they knew the GA.

Was this a small outstation, where local regular customers would be likely to know GAs even if they're non nonrevs. Also, what is your elite level with DL and what fare class did you have? I'm trying to guess at the probabilities for various scenarios. Were you watching the seat maps in the days leading up to the flight to have some idea whether any elites were upgraded at within the window?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:11 am

Unseated confirmed Comfort+ passengers do not remove the number of seats available shown in the app. The seat count on the standby list in the app show total number of unassigned seats.

It's impossible to tell the difference between a nonrev and an unseated W passenger using the mobile app. Both passengers appear on the standby list without further differentiation.

You mentioned that you sat down in a Comfort+ seat but were ticketed in Main Cabin, so I infer this is a 737-800, E175, or CRJ-700.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by irishPirate
I'm #1 on the upgrade list (phone app and GIDS) for FC and C+.
How can someone be on the UG list for both FC and C+. I thought it as one or the other?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
How can someone be on the UG list for both FC and C+. I thought it as one or the other?
You definitely can, if you are not upgraded to C+. This has happened to me a few times lately.

You show on both lists and have a position on each. I believe they clear FC first and then C+, but I could be wrong on that front.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by kitkat77
You definitely can, if you are not upgraded to C+. This has happened to me a few times lately.

You show on both lists and have a position on each. I believe they clear FC first and then C+, but I could be wrong on that front.
All true.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by irishPirate
Is this Shena??

I'm #1 on the upgrade list (phone app and GIDS) for FC and C+. FC is checked in full, but C+ has 2 seats open. (For some reason, when purchasing the ticket, I could only select main cabin seats.)

I'm expecting to get the upgrade, but never happens. 2 minutes before boarding, I see C+ go to 0. I see the GA laughing and talking with a couple, giving them new boarding passes and putting a bag tag on their baggage. I'm suspicious but don't immediately assume they got the upgrade. They could have went from stand-by to confirmed for all I know. (See, I learned something from this site. )

I went up to the GA and asked why I lost the upgrade. He claims he doesn't know. He said it could have happened at the ticket counter or online. I told him I know the seats are under gate control; only he could have given them out. I asked him point blank why he gave away my upgrade. He said he didn't and doesn't know why.

Of course, the GIDS tells you which seats were given to the upgrade. So, I know once I got on the plane, I could confirm if the couple got it.

I always board last to wait for any no-shows in first; and because I hate waiting on the plane, but I finally board. And you know who were sitting in the upgraded seats, the lucky couple. So, I go back to the GA and told he knew he gave my upgrade away. He still denied it.

So, before I write in to Delta, I want to check with the experts. Was this Shena or am I being a whiny-a$$??

For full disclosure.... from the time I bought the ticket, Delta.com, the app, my ticket and everything else said I had a main cabin seat..... but when I sat down, I was in C+. I felt a little sheepish...

I wouldn't normally care if I missed out on the upgrade; it happens, right? But I felt like the GA screwed me out of it. That makes a difference.

Anyways....
I have a theory:
1. Your flight was scheduled for a 737-800 (738) with 3 rows of C+ which has not yet been converted to the 738+ model with 6 rows; however, the day-of, your aircraft turned out to be the latter (explains why you found yourself in C+ unexpectedly, if you were in rows 13-15)
2. Two seats blocked in first row of C+ for special-assignment (handicapped pax etc)

Total speculation, but maybe GA had “tunnel-vision” thinking that you asking about your “upgrade” meant to F/C, and knowing you were already in C+ it didn’t occur to him/her that you may be unaware of the actual config of the aircraft (which won’t show up on the app/delta.com yet). Then again, he/she may have been unaware of the config and just obliviously cleared the nonrevs into those seats while you were still requesting an upgrade to C+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.