Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Is anyone able to look at DL1208, seat 1D? DOU/J mysteriously jumped the upgrade list. Doesn't look like a non-rev but who knows....
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:56 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Peatisback
Is anyone able to look at DL1208, seat 1D? DOU/J mysteriously jumped the upgrade list. Doesn't look like a non-rev but who knows....
What do you mean exactly by mysteriously jumped the list? Any DM on a higher fare class ticket than you, and I believe, PMs, GMs & FOs on a full Y ticket who check in after you will bump you down the list.

And, what does a non-rev look like on an online list?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Do you mean they suddenly appeared on the upgrade list or they moved from a lower position up to spot 1?

If it's the former it is probably a diamond on a higher fare that checked in at the airport or who SDC'd onto the flight.

If it's the later, it is probably a diamond or PM who is using a SWU or RU that had it coded incorrectly and called the PM or DM line when they realized they were a lot lower on the list than they should be and had it applied correctly. I have had that happen before. I would check in for a flight and if I noticed I wasn't number 1 or 2 on the list, have called the DM line and sure enough the SWU wasn't coded correctly and I would jump up from 5 to 9 on the list to one or two
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
We used regional certs and were 1 and 2 on the upgrade list. The GIDS was showing zero seats available so I was surprised when it refreshed at T-30 and the cleared list had me and another who was not my wife in first.

We knew several of the people in the first six spots on the list and the person who ended up in 1D was not one of them (certainly he could have been lower on the list and jumped up with a properly re-coded cert).

The cleared list showed the person in 1D's name and seat number but no boarding zone (I had the 'UP' next to my name/seat number). That's why I wondered if the cleared list looked this way for a non-rev in first, but I'm doubtful there's any relationship.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:34 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
We used regional certs and were 1 and 2 on the upgrade list. The GIDS was showing zero seats available so I was surprised when it refreshed at T-30 and the cleared list had me and another who was not my wife in first.

We knew several of the people in the first six spots on the list and the person who ended up in 1D was not one of them (certainly he could have been lower on the list and jumped up with a properly re-coded cert).

The cleared list showed the person in 1D's name and seat number but no boarding zone (I had the 'UP' next to my name/seat number). That's why I wondered if the cleared list looked this way for a non-rev in first, but I'm doubtful there's any relationship.
UP is the normal boarding zone I have seen for people who clear the list. Did your name not show UP?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by ArmyFlyer05
I was #1 for an upgrade from SEA-HKG yesterday with one seat available. The red coat at the desk told me that the seat was going to a pilot that was a must fly. Just out of curiosity is this normal? Why would they get a business class seat instead of an economy seat?
Probably a clause in the pilots' Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
If I have the choice of either me, or my next pilot, getting the last FC seat to LAX to position for a TPAC flight, I choose him (or her).
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:42 pm

...Post Removed...

Last edited by usa18dca; Apr 3, 2015 at 7:12 am
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Do you mean they suddenly appeared on the upgrade list or they moved from a lower position up to spot 1?

If it's the former it is probably a diamond on a higher fare that checked in at the airport or who SDC'd onto the flight.

If it's the later, it is probably a diamond or PM who is using a SWU or RU that had it coded incorrectly and called the PM or DM line when they realized they were a lot lower on the list than they should be and had it applied correctly. I have had that happen before. I would check in for a flight and if I noticed I wasn't number 1 or 2 on the list, have called the DM line and sure enough the SWU wasn't coded correctly and I would jump up from 5 to 9 on the list to one or two
A.K.A being listed as UP2X instead of UP2A on standby list. Happened to me too!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Originally Posted by BumpMeVoucherMeATL
A.K.A being listed as UP2X instead of UP2A on standby list. Happened to me too!
UP2X is the complementary upgrade priority code for Plat/Diam on transcons (this was PDX - SLC). UPGR is the standard complementary UG code, UP2A is using regional or global upgrade certificates.

Last edited by langbr01; Nov 11, 2014 at 6:53 am
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: US Gold | DL Gold
Experienced my first shena today (though I guess it barely qualifies since it was resolved by a phone call to DL cust service). Checked-in for my flights tomorrow, got put on the upgrade list for my PIT -> MSP flight, but not the MSP -> GRB flight (yes, it is a regional flight with F, which was the DL agent's first response ... not my first time taking this route, know to pick the ones with F if I can). She tried everything she could, unchecking and re-checking me in, having me re-check in, a few other things. Eventually a supervisor was able to get me on the upgrade list somehow after holding for about 10 mins (no explanation was given). Hopefully no further shena when actually processing the upgrades (either putting me ahead of others unjustly, or me getting stuck at the end unjustly, neither of which would be right).
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Originally Posted by pntherpaw86
Experienced my first shena today (though I guess it barely qualifies since it was resolved by a phone call to DL cust service). Checked-in for my flights tomorrow, got put on the upgrade list for my PIT -> MSP flight, but not the MSP -> GRB flight (yes, it is a regional flight with F, which was the DL agent's first response ... not my first time taking this route, know to pick the ones with F if I can). She tried everything she could, unchecking and re-checking me in, having me re-check in, a few other things. Eventually a supervisor was able to get me on the upgrade list somehow after holding for about 10 mins (no explanation was given). Hopefully no further shena when actually processing the upgrades (either putting me ahead of others unjustly, or me getting stuck at the end unjustly, neither of which would be right).
This is an IT issue, not Shena. Sometimes sh*t happens. Delta fixed it. ^
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:41 pm

Shena appears after door closes?

DL-283 from LAX to NRT, two non-revs were seated in EC by talking to gate agent and then after the door was closed, both moved up to BE after the door was closed. I didn't have an upgradable tkt but that doesn't seem right.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:56 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by djm3
DL-283 from LAX to NRT, two non-revs were seated in EC by talking to gate agent and then after the door was closed, both moved up to BE after the door was closed. I didn't have an upgradable tkt but that doesn't seem right.
Sorry to tell'ya . . . That's not Shena. Non-revving employees are ENTITLED to international BE seats if they're available.

Shena appears only when it involves a flight that Medallions get free UGs on. If a Medallion on your flight was denied a GUC or SWU UG with those seats available, that would be a different story.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by djm3
sorry you busy-bodied yourself on that flight and were bothered by that into which you poked your nose, but that is FULLY within the rights of the purser.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.