Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Seeks Premium Status in Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Seeks Premium Status in Asia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Here's a question for the folks who pine for the "good old days" - If NWA was such a strong player in the Asian market with such a widely recognized, and respected brand: Why did NWA go through an expensive rebranding effort at a difficult time to remove all vestiges of "Orient" from their identity and to change their logo (which presumably would be easier for people who don't use Latin alphabets to recognize)?

Something just doesn't make sense in the arguments being presented.
They dropped orient when they purchased Republic in the mid 80s. It was reflective of their effort to achieve more global reach and was followed shortly by code-sharing and ultimately the JV with KLM.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by runninaway
They dropped orient when they purchased Republic in the mid 80s. It was reflective of their effort to achieve more global reach and was followed shortly by code-sharing and ultimately the JV with KLM.
Ah, thanks for the explanation. Given what you say, it seems even more foolish to change the visual identity. Not that it matters now, of course.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
DELTA ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? HARGH HARGH

This must be a new business strategy. Do everything possible to lose the trust and loyalty of your existing customers (make it impossible to get TPAC upgrades at a reasonable price, take away lounge access for Asian GMs without telling anyone, be the last carrier to put in flat-bed seats on Asian routes, secretly raise mileage redemption rates for intra-Asia award travel, etc. etc) and then put out a press release saying you're seeking to become a premium carrier in Asia.

Maybe it's like a management restructuring but targeted at the passengers instead. You get rid of all your top passengers. They could call it a Passenger Restructuring Program.

Or maybe there was a typo in the press release. It should have read Laughingstock Carrier not Premium Carrier.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I think it's an incredibly ambitious goal. It is possible for American brands and products to be perceived as "luxury" or "prestige" in Asia. Examples include Apple, Polo, and Ritz Carlton.

Even with the hard product improvements, Delta's going to have challenges changing their perception from say"nice" to "luxury". For example, while the 777 BusinessElite hard product is certainly comfortable, it doesn't "look" luxurious. The colors and materials, for example, tie it too closely to the coach product.
You hit on some interesting points.

Indeed, Buick is an aspirational brand in China and Samsonite luggage is a premium product line in many parts of Asia. Similarly, Stella Artois, positioned as a premium beer in the US, is a peasant beer in Belgium ... And no Australian actually drinks Fosters ... Its their joke on Americans.

Against that, DLs j product is so inferior to cx, sq and certain others in the region that any premium fare pax will stick with who is best. Compare the best crown room/sky club in the system to the long bar ar hkg or the "private room" at sin ... You'd think the sky club is the discounted y lounge.

Americans nailed it on the design of the iPod/iPad, got a few en to the moon... but we seem incapable of running a true premium airline!

Last edited by NYBanker; Feb 18, 2011 at 8:33 pm Reason: En to the moon was men to the moon. Bloody iPad ... Cool as it may be ... Not good for editing threads!
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:56 pm

To become a Premier Carrier you need to offer flights at convenient times, frequently, and provide premium cabin service as well as a superior hard product. Just as an example the NRT flights to BKK and SIN arrive at midnight at their destinations and leave early, early a.m. forcing pax to leave their homes or hotels at 4-5 a.m. I would call that inconvenient and I leave a comment about premium cabin service and the hard product open, because all of us already know the answer. Asian carriers, Premium or not, offer 5-12 daily services, sometimes more. Some on A380 or 747s.
Also, who wants to go through the painfully annoying security procedures when one takes a U.S. airline, combined to the easy walk through for Asian or for that matter, European carriers, when they provide Intra-Asian service.
Sure, I am stuck with a similar pattern with UA now, but at least they don't pretend and don't claim to be a Premium carrier in and/or for Asia. Know the role that you are assigned to play!!!
May I also point out that they are primarily talking about service out of NRT.
Premium Asian service goes many, many ways. Not just out of NRT. DL by nature of it's business fills probably most of their ongoing traffic out of NRT with transit/connecting pax originating in the U.S. A good portion of the remaining seats to be filled comes from contracts they have taken over from the PMNW days. The rest originates from contracts that have been signed at the corresponding destinations also during PMNW days. Where does the added passenger supply originate? From China, of course. No recession there, au contraire. But how long will that last? Trust me, DL still has no name recognition in Asia.
DL fired all the knowledgeable and experienced NW management in Japan and Asia. Vinay Dube, DL's senior VP Asia/Pacific has pretty big shoes to fill. Researching his previous CV, he surely has no experience in that market.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
I've always been a DL fan since I first flew them as a kid in the early 90s on an L-1011 LAX-ATL (they always used the T6 gates for that flight... FL 264).

Anyway, I hope that DL does do well but I agree, the competition is fierce. I fly to ICN two or three times a year and last year, I flew it on KE, OZ, and UA. Hands down, KE has the best service in coach, then OZ. UA was just horrendous.

I think if DL just retrained their Asia flight attendants, that could really help. There are things that Asians want on a flight (I'm a Korean-American). When I fly KE or OZ, I expect there to be tea, good Korean food, and just a great level of service.

Case in point: I flew from IAD to ICN on KE. It seemed like because the flight attendant didn't have anything to do (it was between the two meals), she kept cleaning the lavatories after pax used them. It's that sort of attentive service that is severely lacking on US-based carriers.

I'd have to say that because most US-based carriers usually have senior flight attendants on the int'l flights, they feel a sense of entitlement whereas the flight attendants on Asian carriers tend to be thankful that they were picked (competition is fierce in Korea to become a KE flight attendant) and do their jobs at the best of their ability.

I also think this goes to the level of service generally in Asia. Compare service from McDonald's in Asia to the US... that's basically what it is with the airlines.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
I'd have to say that because most US-based carriers usually have senior flight attendants on the int'l flights, they feel a sense of entitlement whereas the flight attendants on Asian carriers tend to be thankful that they were picked and do their jobs at the best of their ability.
Senior indeed, in many ways. Hard to see how DL can even come close to offering a soft product as good as SQ or CX, given the cultural differences and without being sued for age, weight or attractiveness discrimination.

You'll never see DL doing anything like this, and that is the problem.
Across the World with the Singapore Girl
Old Feb 19, 2011, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Senior indeed, in many ways. Hard to see how DL can even come close to offering a soft product as good as SQ or CX, given the cultural differences and without being sued for age, weight or attractiveness discrimination.
The age, weight, or attractiveness of FA's isn't such a factor BUT the cultural aspect is what Delta will have problems with.

On a 12 hour flight the lavs HAVE to get cleaned...but can Delta get an FA with 30 years seniority to actually CLEAN a lav?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold

You'll never see DL doing anything like this, and that is the problem.
Across the World with the Singapore Girl
It isn't just age/attractiveness. It's the attitude they bring to their job. Like I told a WN pilot yesterday, I like flying WN because of the pathologic cheerfulness many of the WN flight attendants display. KE/OZ flight attendants, while maybe not as bubbly, seem to enjoy their jobs as well.

Think of it like refs in any major US sporting event. NFL, NHL, NBA refs for the championship series are picked based upon a review of their performance during the season as well as playoffs. DL may want to do something similar instead of just being based on seniority if they are going to focus on boosting their TPAC image.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Burj
This just posted to nytimes.com

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011...-Lines.html?hp

I am glad that Delta is being ambitious...but as much as I like Delta and support Delta...I've noticed that often their reach exceeds their grasp...

Becoming a premium airline in Asia is going to be an uphill battle and I honestly think that they might be better off being a high volume value carrier...

To become a premium carrier they will have to drastically improve the economy experience and start making BusinessElite much more exclusive...which means no more packing it full of non-revs!
Quote from the article:
But Vinay Dube, Delta's senior vice president for the Asia Pacific, said Thursday the Atlanta-based company believes it can compete with the region's most reputable carriers.
[emphasis mine]

How does a company announce an ambitious goal, make a statement like this, and in the same week, alienate a significant fraction of their regional customers by egregiously jacking up FF mileage redemption requirements?

How many DL customers in the region would select "reputable" as their adjective of choice to describe DL right now?

What sort of "intellects" are running DL?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by 5khours
DELTA ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? HARGH HARGH

This must be a new business strategy. Do everything possible to lose the trust and loyalty of your existing customers (make it impossible to get TPAC upgrades at a reasonable price, take away lounge access for Asian GMs without telling anyone, be the last carrier to put in flat-bed seats on Asian routes, secretly raise mileage redemption rates for intra-Asia award travel, etc. etc) and then put out a press release saying you're seeking to become a premium carrier in Asia.

Maybe it's like a management restructuring but targeted at the passengers instead. You get rid of all your top passengers. They could call it a Passenger Restructuring Program.

Or maybe there was a typo in the press release. It should have read Laughingstock Carrier not Premium Carrier.
This is an excellent summation of the recent changes. I have to wonder if they even realize how foolish they sound when they announce things like this. For those who are Arrested Development fans, it reminds me of the time when Michael told Gob, "Being a magician is a job where people laugh at you, and you don't even realize they are mocking you." (or something like that...I don't think I got it quite right, and I can't find it now.)
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:52 am
k2

...Hard to see how DL can even come close to offering a soft product as good as SQ or CX, ...
There's a critical difference between being a premium brand to Asia, vs. a premium brand in Asia (the PR seems to indicate the latter is their objective). Although I do think they have a shot at the former thanks to hard product updates and weaker competition (US carriers); the latter requires a major overhaul of the soft product. That ain't happening.

The day that DL FAs clean the lavs mid-flight is the day this press release becomes something more than Wall St. spin.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Hmmm, let's see... typical Y seat vs. lie-flat, coach menu vs. 4-course meal served on china and linens, typical meager Y snacks vs. a la carte menu with 10 snack and meal choices (both hot and cold) available anytime during the flight, lav-to-passenger ratio that is 2 or 3 times higher, FA-to-pax ratio that is 2 to 3 times higher, slippers vs. no slippers, cardigans vs. no cardigans, champagne, vintage wines, etc. etc.

I think you get the picture... I doubt many will agree that KE Y is better than JL C.
KE coach you do get slippers and an amenity kit. In JL business only slippers, but no amenity kit, no toothbrush/tootpaste in lavatories, etc.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
To become a Premier Carrier you need to offer flights at convenient times, frequently, and provide premium cabin service as well as a superior hard product.
The convenient times is right on. Right now even for connections to US, it's typically 6-9 hour connecting times at NRT - and unless one has some places around Narita that they like to go to during the long connection (like I do), it's rather a nuisance and makes the flight unnecessarily long (e.g. HKG-HNL on KE can leave at 2:50pm and arrive sooner than DL, while on DL have to leave at 8am and arrive later than KE that departed some five hours later).

Plus, to be a carrier in Asia and not just for US connecting pax, there have to be (a lot) more than 1x daily flights to Asia destinations, and they have to leave at convenient times, not arrive past midnight and leave at super inconvenient times like 5am (only to then have to wait some 6-9 hours for a connection at NRT).
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RealHJ
The West Coast? Really? SEA and PDX have been always semi-hubs for NW, but DL has been practicaly absent.

Pre-merger NW had 2 x daily SEA-HNL, and also SEA to KOA and OGG.
After merger DL has just 1 x daily SEA-HNL.
That's just an example to show how after merger ther is far less of "new" Delta presence, as there was before of just NW.
Northwest had some fairly odd aspirations for Seattle (SEA-LHR, SEA-SYD with the 787), but even if Delta hasn't pursued some premerger routes, it's patently unfair to accuse Delta of having "far less" presence.

With the larger SkyClub under construction, a second daily SEA-AMS flight, new routes to China, and more Asia flying rumored - Delta is hardly "practically absent". If anything, they're successfully running the new UA out of town...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.