Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Seeks Premium Status in Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Seeks Premium Status in Asia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: CI: Emer; CX: Sliver; DL: PM; PC: RA;
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Has EVA air updated it's fleet?

Last time I sat in EVA air, which I will admit is almost 10 years age, the plane were really old and the seats were really cramped and for that reason I never flew them again.
aviod 744-400Combi
sitll in old config. 10 year ago
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:20 am

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
EVA flies 777's these days as well as 744.. the new 777 are old and dingy as the old 744.. take your pick.. I choose Delta's 77L
Old Oct 22, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: NW Diamond, LH SEN, PC Spire - RA, TG PlatHyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DougM
Raising award tickets by 200%? My wife and I fly from the USA east coast to SE asia quite often and out award tickets have gone up by 400%. Considering going back to United
Yeah, my mileage values was cut off by more than halves in Feb because I exclusively use it for Intra Asian award tix for my families and friends. At least Delta does not ask for award tix fuel surcharge on its flight.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by n301dp
Maybe Delta should adopt a catchy musical theme for advertisements?
hhahaha
that just made my day, thank you.^
Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by johnm1019
hhahaha
that just made my day, thank you.^
Mine too! Row 86 on 742 was a pleasurable experience.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Good luck, but I do not think DL's catering team or FA's are up to it.

I paid $9600 for a ticket to DXB in J and the food sucked and the service was anything but world class. The lounge in DXB was a joke. Add to that no services for immigration, customs, or priority bag handling, and I just don't see it. Oh, and then had to connect to ASA to make the last flight home. My 30 minute flight was only 5 hours late.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it makes you feel better, the EK lounge though extremely large is quite subpar, and EK flights that leave in the middle of the night have some of the worst J catering in the business.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:32 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
I am a huge DL supporter but this will not work in Asia. The GAs and especially the FAs will never, never be able to match SQ, KE, and others. Try to imagine for one second, as is the case on KE flights, DL FAs standing at attention every 30 or so feet as we enter the flight from, for example, ICN to ORD to welcome each person. Female FAs offer to put luggage in overhead campartments, AND at least one of the GAs cleans the bathrooms once during the flights.
To be honest some budget airlines in Asia assist in placing luggage in overhead bins and most clean the lavs during flights.

My personal favorite is how FA on top Asian airlines will patrol the isles in Y even after the lights are off. I think they do it once every 10-20 minutes in case someone needs something. DL FA's don't practice this even in J.

They really have an uphill battle.

Originally Posted by elitetraveler

3. Branded Partnerships - be it celebrity chefs, toiletries, earphones help create an image with customers and prospects. In the case of LH with its celebrity chefs, don't you think it is interesting their recent partnerships include Peninsula Hotels, Ritz-Carlton and David Burke? The basic statement is LH is committed to a high standard of catering, but provides a global perspective to cuisine (one might assume a misperception was LH mainly served German cuisine, so these partnerships do a nice job of overcoming it without taking away with the German attributes about LH customers value).

4. If DL wants to be a premium airline choice in Asia, they are competing against a competitive set that virtually all offers excellent F products (NH, JL, CX, SQ, MH, KE, OZ). DL is spending hundreds of millions on hard product in BE and from what I've seen, they have made very good choices. To use a sports analogy, DL is in the 'red zone' so with a little bit of extra investment in soft product and some good marketing and PR they might just achieve their objective. As I heard the story, the 'Singapore Girl' was the figment of the great ad executive Ian Batey trying to turn SQ's disadvantage of having a young, less experienced and predominantly female cabin crew at a time the 'great airlines' had butler like service by white suited stewards.
I fully agree with you on the hard product stand point. Even having the same seats as CX on J for the 744 shows they are moving in the right direction

However, I believe that the soft product is culture and it will take years to develop. Additionally, IMHO I think there is a certain eye candy appeal that they can't match up due to HR policy.

Food wise, in J class, they are leaps and bounds behind Asian carriers. In Y, it is really debatable IMHO. I've had some real bad meals on intra-asia Y class.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Oct 23, 2011 at 6:44 am Reason: grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.