Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Seeks Premium Status in Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Seeks Premium Status in Asia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I guess this explains why my NRT-ICN flight was switched from a 752 to a 332 .
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
No one in Asia (except a Southeastern U.S. bound person from Japan) ever heard of Delta before the merger. DL had one flight: ATL-NRT-ATL.

NW was the first airline to go into China after it opened up. It had been flying the overland route into Asia since the 1950s. NW had served markets in Asia for nearly as long as the airline was in existence. When traveling to the U.S. people in Japan preferred JAL first, but second they preferred NWA. Even over ANA or other Asian carriers. NW had city ticket offices in most of the major Asian cities, and significant Asian headquarters in Tokyo (most of which has been dismantled since the merger is my understanding).

They ran the Asia operations almost as an internal airline, and people at NWA headquarters let the Asia operations run the show and guide them on operations, customer service, loyalty programs, and technology issues (remember, NWA.com not only had translated content, which was extensive especially considering how long they had it before other airlines, but they had specific parts of the site with information, promotions/deals, etc. that were only for Asia customers, or customers in a specific country).

Delta threw all of that away with the merger, running as quickly as it could to repaint planes (remember how quickly the 747 was painted, and that flew almost exclusively to/from Asia), fire upper management that had experience in this area, change promotions/drop agreements with former NW vendors and partners in Asia, the list goes on.

And now, the sweet ol' belle from the south wants to be, pardon the pun, but "big in Japan" again? What arrogance.

I'm sure they'll do it the "Delta way" as well, and probably parade Deltalina through Asia while wagging her finger at everyone, saying: "Why didn't y'all stay with Delta? We're so good and we know it, why don't you!"
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat (farewell DL :-<),Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
I am beyond skeptical about this. Last year I flew to SIN twice, first on SQ in F on as SM redemption (sigh, oh the good old days) and then on DL in BE.

Of course when I got on the DL plane from ATL-NRT my expectations were not that of SQ F however nothing illustrates the difference more and just how far DL will have to go to catch up as the following:

I was one of the last to board the plane, the FA comes up to me while im still butting my carryon up and havent even had a chance to glimpse the menu and asks me "do you want the chicken for lunch?" I respond how is it prepared? Her response " we reheat it." I still battle the urge to laugh out loud every time I think of this.

Delta you has a LONG way to be considered anything close to premium. In fact the only way I see for them to achieve or offer an Asian standard premium product it is to bring back the awards on SQ hahahah! I suppose there are always the MH awards that one person a year snags. hahahah
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Isn't Ritz Carlton owned by the decidedly un-prestigious Marriot?
Correct. However, in Asia, RC and JW are recognized and acknowledged as premium, luxury brands. I believe some would put RC and Oriental Mandarin on the same tier. Not sure if JW is quite on that tier. I'd say it's pretty close though.

Important note - I am not asian or from asia. My comments are based only on my surface observations when traveling to different parts of asia.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by delanet
I am beyond skeptical about this. Last year I flew to SIN twice, first on SQ in F on as SM redemption (sigh, oh the good old days) and then on DL in BE.

Of course when I got on the DL plane from ATL-NRT my expectations were not that of SQ F however nothing illustrates the difference more and just how far DL will have to go to catch up as the following:

I was one of the last to board the plane, the FA comes up to me while im still butting my carryon up and havent even had a chance to glimpse the menu and asks me "do you want the chicken for lunch?" I respond how is it prepared? Her response " we reheat it." I still battle the urge to laugh out loud every time I think of this.

Delta you has a LONG way to be considered anything close to premium. In fact the only way I see for them to achieve or offer an Asian standard premium product it is to bring back the awards on SQ hahahah! I suppose there are always the MH awards that one person a year snags. hahahah
Poor response from the FA. On the other hand, is it possible she could have interpreted your question as "flip"? I'm not sure it's fair to try to compare SQ First Class and Delta BusinessElite. I could see Delta aspiring to the service levels of SQ Business Class. It would be a stretch and require a lot of effort, but I think it is doable.

By the way, I'm pretty sure we don't get access to MH First Class. For some bizarre reason, Delta has decided that SkyMiles members have no interest in premium class travel
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by TheMoose
No one in Asia (except a Southeastern U.S. bound person from Japan) ever heard of Delta before the merger. DL had one flight: ATL-NRT-ATL.

NW was the first airline to go into China after it opened up. It had been flying the overland route into Asia since the 1950s. NW had served markets in Asia for nearly as long as the airline was in existence. When traveling to the U.S. people in Japan preferred JAL first, but second they preferred NWA. Even over ANA or other Asian carriers. NW had city ticket offices in most of the major Asian cities, and significant Asian headquarters in Tokyo (most of which has been dismantled since the merger is my understanding).

They ran the Asia operations almost as an internal airline, and people at NWA headquarters let the Asia operations run the show and guide them on operations, customer service, loyalty programs, and technology issues (remember, NWA.com not only had translated content, which was extensive especially considering how long they had it before other airlines, but they had specific parts of the site with information, promotions/deals, etc. that were only for Asia customers, or customers in a specific country).

Delta threw all of that away with the merger, running as quickly as it could to repaint planes (remember how quickly the 747 was painted, and that flew almost exclusively to/from Asia), fire upper management that had experience in this area, change promotions/drop agreements with former NW vendors and partners in Asia, the list goes on.

And now, the sweet ol' belle from the south wants to be, pardon the pun, but "big in Japan" again? What arrogance.

I'm sure they'll do it the "Delta way" as well, and probably parade Deltalina through Asia while wagging her finger at everyone, saying: "Why didn't y'all stay with Delta? We're so good and we know it, why don't you!"
Actually, at one time, Delta had a huge push into Asia. Service to multiple Japanese cities. Service to Korea and Taiwan. Service to Hong Kong, Bangkok, and Singapore. I'm pretty sure that they eliminated all of their Asian service (save my beloved DL55/56) back in the late 1990s. Goodness only knows why.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Most others never heard of Delta, or if they did just vaguely. Most airports have few if any Delta planes. ).
You could also say that about pre-merger Northwest in South America, Middle East, Africa, a good portion of Europe, and in the US (the West Coast, the Southeast, Florida, Texas, mid-Atlantic, etc.)

Delta didn't become truly global until it brought NW. ).
Delta got a lot more global when they bought Pan Am's transatlantic routes. And NW did not become truly global until they merged with DL.

So sad to see the global reach being squandered by this myopic and southern US centric approach, not being able to see things in a global perspective (DL mgmnt I mean).
Such as? Proof?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger
Then, when DL took over, instead of taking that brand and running with it, they basically changed everything, upset people, and now seem to be wondering what else they can change to bring people back to an airline that largely no one had heard of.
Facts? So how come load factors, RASM, revenues, etc. in the Pacific has not tanked since the merger??? In fact, the Pacific has been growing considerably in unit revenues over the last year....

Last edited by ClipperDelta; Feb 17, 2011 at 4:33 pm
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Facts? So how come load factors, RASM, revenues, etc. in the Pacific has not tanked since the merger??? In fact, the Pacific has been growing considerably in unit revenues over the last year....
It's hard for me to judge whether those numbers mean anything because of the "over the last year attached to it". How about relative to PMNW over the last 4 or 5 years? AFAIK, pretty much ALL travel has started picking up over the last year. Also, how has capacity changed?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:03 pm

the West Coast
Really? PMNW was not a present force on the West Coast? I thought that there was pretty good service with several flights per day to/from MSP/DTW/MEM from major west coast cities such as LAX, SFO, PDX, SEA, PHX, LAS, SJC, SMF, BUR and others. In addition, PMNW ran Europe, Hawaii and Asia routes from several cities, including, but not limited to SEA-AMS, PDX-AMS, SFO-NRT, SFO-HNL, NRT-HNL, PDX-NRT, SEA-NRT, PDX-HNL, SEA-HNL, LAX-NRT, LAX-HNL, etc.

Maybe I'm not aware of what others were doing from the west coast...
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Small stations that had been gems for PanAm, such as NCE, were quickly transformed from islands of excellence to desolate mediocracy. !
The NCE station is still being run by the same Pan Am lady, who should hopefully be retiring this year.

With PanAm 82/83 there was catering by Roger Vergé is FC. The crew did not know how to serve this stuff so he showed upo himself to demonstrate. Things like that made PanAm is some places the airline of excellence. Buying National destroyed them. DL wiped that out immediately and the flights, still existing as DL 82/83, are the usual garbage. OK, but not class.!
Any celebrity chef catering on Pan Am 82/83 did not last long (Pan Am reintroduced nonstop JFK-NCE in the mid-80s, and within a few years, they were in deep trouble and cutting left and right. I still have Pan Am First Class menus from the '80s and the number of celebrity chef creations were not many. To Pan Am's credit, they did maintain the chateaubriand-from-the-cart
unitil the bitter end.

Try taking a flight to/from Brazil with nobody in the crew who can speak Portuguese. Sad. OK if cheap is the objective. World class, Not!
Delta probably has one of the most comprehensive LOD (Language of Destination) programs (for Inflight) among US carriers. LOD hiring of FAs has been a top priority for years - when they started JFK-KBP, they hired Ukranian speakers; when they started JFK-BUD, they recruited Hungarian speakers; when they had JFK-OTP, they had Romanian speakers as well. Trust me when I tell you that they most certainly have Portuguese speakers. Sometimes on "off" days (e.g., holidays), they may not have had a Portuguese speaker on your flight; it certainly is an exception rather than the rule.

Originally Posted by GBadger
It's hard for me to judge whether those numbers mean anything because of the "over the last year attached to it". How about relative to PMNW over the last 4 or 5 years? AFAIK, pretty much ALL travel has started picking up over the last year. Also, how has capacity changed?
From Traffic Reports for the Pacific Region for the combined DL/NW:

2008 (reported separately for DL and NW but I added them together):
RPMs: 22,236,245
ASMs: 26,104,254

2009: (reported as one entity)
RPMs: 19,606,826
ASMs: 23,997,408

2010: (reported as one entity)
RPMs: 22,311,223
ASMs: 26,177,528

2009 of course is skewed by the worldwide economic downturn which naturally resulted in decreased capacity as well as traffic. So a more 'apples-to-apples' comparison could be between 2008 and 2010. As you can see from the stats above, 2010 capacity and traffic was remarkably similar to 2008, with the same load factors in both years (85.2%). The main difference between those two is that the nature of the network in the Pacific has changed: the 2008 network was more Japan-focused, whereas the 2010 network has more TPAC flights overflying the NRT hub (the new DTW-HKG/ICN/PVG flights as well as SEA-KIX/PEK).

Of course Delta is less well known than Northwest in Japan and the rest of Asia, but if Delta had truly 'scared away' Asian customers because they eradicated the NW brand so quickly, it is certainly not evident in the traffic numbers.

NW was the first airline to go into China after it opened up. !"
Nope. Pan Am held that honor, restarting flights to PEK in 1981 at the same time as CAAC. Northwest did not go back into China until 1984.

NW had served markets in Asia for nearly as long as the airline was in existence.!"
NW started in 1926. It did not start service to Asia until 1947.

NW was undoubtedly the pioneer US carrier to Japan, but Pan Am (started 1927) was the first one to cross the Pacific, in 1935.

Last edited by thezipper; Feb 17, 2011 at 6:46 pm Reason: mutl posts by op
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta splat ! SPG plat . Hyatt Diamond . UA 1P
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Easy to have a good reputation when no one but those who flew you knew about you. Maybe I am one of the few who never heard of NW until Delta bought them.

As for Delta being a Premium airline in Asia, yeah the day they get a dreamliner.
I'd never even seen a Delta Aircraft until they began painting over the NW fleet. Yet, I'd been flying at least monthly between Tokyo and Singapore/KL/BKK/MNL for some years
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
From Traffic Reports for the Pacific Region for the combined DL/NW:

2008 (reported separately for DL and NW but I added them together):
RPMs: 22,236,245
ASMs: 26,104,254

2009: (reported as one entity)
RPMs: 19,606,826
ASMs: 23,997,408

2010: (reported as one entity)
RPMs: 22,311,223
ASMs: 26,177,528

2009 of course is skewed by the worldwide economic downturn which naturally resulted in decreased capacity as well as traffic. So a more 'apples-to-apples' comparison could be between 2008 and 2010. As you can see from the stats above, 2010 capacity and traffic was remarkably similar to 2008, with the same load factors in both years (85.2%). The main difference between those two is that the nature of the network in the Pacific has changed: the 2008 network was more Japan-focused, whereas the 2010 network has more TPAC flights overflying the NRT hub (the new DTW-HKG/ICN/PVG flights as well as SEA-KIX/PEK).

Of course Delta is less well known than Northwest in Japan and the rest of Asia, but if Delta had truly 'scared away' Asian customers because they eradicated the NW brand so quickly, it is certainly not evident in the traffic numbers.

Thanks for posting this Clipper. Very informative information. It would seem that DL has its work cut out for them to put some seperation (in a positive way) between 2010's traffic report and 2011.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: Delta splat ! SPG plat . Hyatt Diamond . UA 1P
DL flies NRT to Chinese cities. and the growth in passenger numbers between China and Japan is so huge recently that it would swamp any other data.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by upnorth
I could not hold myself from replying. Delta's planes flying in to Asia are no where close to some Asian airlines like SIA. They retained the crappy planes NW had. E.g., some of their planes flying NRT and AMS-BOM don't even have personal TV in economy. I try flying KLM to DEL instead of flying to BOM on DL. DL does not even provide a toiletry kit. The image of DL in Asia is no where close to "premium" and it will take many years of hard work and investment to get there. TV advertisement is only good when you have a good product. A conned passenger who flies DL on the basis of a sexy advertisement, may never ever fly DL if the experience is not as advertised.
NW flew brand new A330-200's from AMS-BOM. DL uses these same planes for that route still. They have AVOD at every seat. The forward economy cabin also has power at every seat.

Originally Posted by delanet

With *G, I get into SQ's SilverKris Lounge in HKG. The food there is better than any food DL has in Business Elite. And that's just the lounge! Think of what DL's up against with the superior in flight service of the Asian carriers.

Last edited by thezipper; Feb 17, 2011 at 8:23 pm Reason: mutl posts by op

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.