Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Gate agent confiscated my Biz class BP at MSP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate agent confiscated my Biz class BP at MSP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Recall that the guidance given to the OP was to serripticiously photograph both Delta employees AND the pax "sitting in his seat" with the intent of somehow documenting alleged malfeasance on the part of the various parties. I'm not sure why you'd want to get a third party (me, for example) involved in a dispute you have with Delta.
Presumably you're the passenger sitting in OP's original seat, else you wouldn't be involved at all. The question is why the GA gave you OP's seat. The photo is to have evidence of the identity of the person given the seat. If you turned out to be someone the GA had a relationship with (friend, relative, whatever), then you aren't exactly an "uninvolved third party". If the GA gave away the seat for some reason unrelated to you in particular (other than FAM, I've seen no suggestions for what that might be), then your identity is irrelevant; however, that can't be determined until it is known.

As for accusing you of anything, I'd post only facts: That I had a boarding pass with a seat assignment in Business, it was taken from me by the GA, and you were sitting in the seat that had been assigned to me.

If you prefer to choose not to have anything to do with me, well, sitting in the seat that was taken from me is something to do with me, so you wouldn't be doing it, and the whole issue wouldn't arise.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by weezl
I really would like to know just why this happened (and why DL is so stingy with their compensation). But I am hesitant to give a DL lurker my info (via PM) lest retribution run wild. I will consider this only if: 1) FTers think it is a good idea, and 2) the DL employee promises that it will remain in strict confidence.
1) I think its a good idea
2) I think you can take the FT contributors' word that this will remain confidential.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Thanks for explaining, but I must be really dense today. I still don't really see the connection between my being seated in a seat I'm issued a boarding pass for by the airline and "stolen goods".
The seat had been purchased by OP and taken from him without his consent, hence it's similar to "stolen goods" (closer to "stolen services").

In this case, there's really been no crime. At the end of the day, we're talking about a complimentary upgrade benefit that the airline extends to it's frequent flyers.
In this particular case, the upgrade was purchased (with miles, but those have value: the airline sells them).

As I said, If I'm siting in a seat and someone else believes it's their seat, there's no reason to skulk around sneaking pictures of me.
Are you on the same thread I am? On the one I'm reading, the GA took the seat (boarding pass) from OP. Since OP was deprived of a service paid for it is quite reasonable to document all the circumstances to the greatest degree possible.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta DM Marriott Gold
I can guarantee that if a FAM is in that seat and you take his picture. You would no be going anywhere any time soon.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like DL is just giving the OP the middle finger - I suggest he give it right back.

Dispute the charge for the flight with the credit card company - you did not receive the product that you paid for (even if part of the payment came from miles).

Another option is to sue Delta in small claims court - whether you win or lose, the cost to Delta to defend the suit would far outweigh the compensation they should have offered in the first place. The cost to file a small claims suit in most jurisdictions is under $100.

At the very least, that should get their attention and either lead to more appropriate settlement, or end up going to trial where you may prevail.

Refunding 1/2 of the miles is nothing but a big fat middle finger.

One point of order - I don't understand why people wait until boarding is wrapping up before getting on the plane. Unless I have a tight connection due to a delay (I never book connections of less than 1hr), I am among the first to board, never book an aisle seat (eliminates the FAM problem), and am comfortably seated and in MY seat in case someone else comes along with a seat dupe or other issue. The passenger in possession of the seat has the upper hand.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by weezl
I was at the gate and watched the entire boarding process from about 30 ft away. If I don’t board 1st when I am upgraded, I wait until the end so I don’t get stuck in a stuffy jetway.
This is something I still don't understand. If you had a confirmed seat in FC, you would have been able to board when FC was called, so at worst you would be the 14th-26th person to board (depending on type of aircraft, which we still don't know because there have been no details posted). That small a number of people and you definitely would not be stuck in the jetway.

Were you in the gate area when FC boarding was called?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjvan
I can guarantee that if a FAM is in that seat and you take his picture. You would no be going anywhere any time soon.
You can guarantee that? How?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Refunding 1/2 of the miles is nothing but a big fat middle finger.
They refunded all the miles for that flight.

One point of order - I don't understand why people wait until boarding is wrapping up before getting on the plane.
The departure area is a lot more comfortable than an airline seat.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb
The departure area is a lot more comfortable than an airline seat.
That is completely untrue when talking about an F seat.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: AA - PP
They refunded all the miles for that flight.
Delta offers a way to upgrade a single segment, or am I missing something? Last I saw it was 25k (or whatever price) for a one way upgrade, not per segment pricing. So, unless they plan on giving him the option of a single segment upgrade with the 12.5k miles they refunded, they owe him the other 12.5k.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
....The departure area is a lot more comfortable than an airline seat.
My butt securely in that F seat, depriving the GA of any easy shots at shenanigans, and with pre-departure drink in hand is a lot more comfortable than a busy airline terminal by any stretch of the imagination.

Why leave something to chance?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
My butt securely in that F seat, depriving the GA of any easy shots at shenanigans, and with pre-departure drink in hand is a lot more comfortable than a busy airline terminal by any stretch of the imagination.

Why leave something to chance?
I completely agree with you, but I know people who really don't want to spend any more time than absolutely necessary on an airplane. Don't forget that many foreign carriers board FC and biz last, after the coach passengers are all on board and settled.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdac1975
That is completely untrue when talking about an F seat.
In the departure area, I can read without anyone bumping into me or requiring me to move so they can get past me. I can stand and stretch out without hitting anybody. Neither of those is true for a typical domestic F seat.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:49 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by jjvan
That will happen only if the FAM wants to announce his/her identity to the entire plane. They are incredibly easy to identify anyway [when they are seated in F].

Back OT:

The OP flew one segment in F and was "downgraded" on the other segment, so I can see why Delta only gave half of the miles back... However, I think DL should just give it all back and be done with it... It is not worth losing a good customer OVER 12.5K SkyPesos...
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:01 pm

Thanks for explaining, but I must be really dense today. I still don't really see the connection between my being seated in a seat I'm issued a boarding pass for by the airline and "stolen goods". In this case, there's really been no crime. At the end of the day, we're talking about a complimentary upgrade benefit that the airline extends to it's frequent flyers. I'm not buying an upgrade from a shady person in a mall parking lot selling them out of the back of their truck

As I said, If I'm siting in a seat and someone else believes it's their seat, there's no reason to skulk around sneaking pictures of me. Simply come up to me, say "Excuse me, I believe you're in my seat", and I'll check my boarding pass. If my boarding pass says that I'm indeed in the wrong seat, I'll blush, apologize profusely, and move quickly back to 37D On the other hand, if my boarding pass indicates the seat that I'm sitting in, I'll hit the FA call button and ask Detla staff to sort it out (while remaining seated, of course )

Sadly, the above situation wouldn't have worked for the OP since Delta had issued the OP another boarding pass. At the end of the day, Delta chose, at the last minute, not to extend a complimentary upgrade to the OP (one which they had previously promised the OP). I agree that the Op should be miffed, but Delta refunded him the miles for the upgrade so I'm not sure what else there is to discuss. Delta handled the situation poorly and hopefully, the OP will board early on in the future so that there is ample time to sort out these types of problems should they occur again.
My point is that you are not a random person sitting in F. You sitting in that seat and OP intersect in this case, and you will be used as a "witness/record" whether you knowingly get involved in this case or not, whether you prefer or not.

Calling FA/GA to discuss is not going to help OP. He would just be told to sit in the back or else. So the best approach for him is to keep as much record as possible and dispute/complain later. You sitting in that seat is the record. And if you are really a non-rev, and GA did violate the rule, it would be easier to make a connection with that record.

Sorry I didn't mean you personally, just a hypothetical "you".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.