Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Gate agent confiscated my Biz class BP at MSP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate agent confiscated my Biz class BP at MSP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:35 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by majorwibi
Dont want your info only the flight details but if you are too paranoid to realize I'm trying to help flush out if you got screwed I'm not sure how else to help you.

FWIW everything else posted on this forum about what has happened to you is PURE SPECULATION as no one has actually looked at the flight details to see what happened.

I'm not an employee just married to one so I can promise anything I do (or have my wife do) wont be tracked back to you ...
How exactly is it poor treatment when historical posts have shown that when someone fails to post flight details there tends to be more to the story than what is posted. Its not poor treatment to not take the OP at his word when he has left out some of the most pertinent information about solving the problem.

Your reference to airline attitudes is a backhanded personal attack and while not directed at a person is a violation of the TOS of FT
Code:
http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q87
Attacks against groups or classes of job holders (such as Transportation Security Administration employees) will not be tolerated.
+1. Too many of these threads are built on pure one-sided speculation. Simple facts would be nice to balance the debate.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:51 am

I have not read the entire thread, but did anyone ask if an air marshal was given the seat?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by Pryde987
Three years ago when I was just starting out in my line of work, I flew AA and ORD had crazy weather per usual. I lived between MKE and ORD, so I wanted to just take a bus and not burn 5 hours waiting for my delayed flight (that might just get canceled anyway). Long story short, I was given three different answers by three separate GAs on how to reschedule and eventually I just pleaded "please, I just want a voucher for the bus." I sympathized with the GAs as the environment was tough for them, I was polite, and I mentally noted the names of the GAs. They wouldn't put me on the bus, so I just called a friend to come pick me up. He was kind enough-- in the snow-- to do so.

I went home and wrote AA, citing my frustration with the inconsistent answers as my major point. I gave names. I then also noted that the bus cost $26, and while it's a small amount, I should not have to pay it. I also noted the inconvenience my friend experienced in picking me up. Sure, they refunded the unused portion of my ticket (to the company), but no apologies.

I decided that I wouldn't use AA again. Over the next 12 months, I probably flew 20,000 miles. I scanned every ticket and emailed their customer service, attaching the images and referencing the old ticket number. I said how an apology would've sufficed, but I would no longer fly them because of the poor experience I had. The CS rep basically wrote back "ok, this is all your choice." Thanks for reinforcing my decision, AA.

I've since made Premier on United twice, Sliver Medallion on Delta once, and I'll make Premier Exec on United this year while also flying 20,000 miles on Delta. American probably would've seen most of that action; I've certainly flown more expensive, less convenient tickets just to avoid them.

Tell Delta to "eat ...." and never look back. If you feel like you got a raw deal, fly someone else.
You blame AA for weather? What do you expect in a weather delay/cancel situation? If it was mechanical you have every right to complain, but expecting them to take care of you in this manner for a weather situation is wrong! With all your flying since you have never had this happen? If it has chances are the ONLY reason you may have received special treatment is status, status that you had not EARNED at that time.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
I have not read the entire thread, but did anyone ask if an air marshal was given the seat?
Since this was a paid upgrade (with miles), it doesn't seem likely that it was a FAM bump.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:36 am

OP: What was the seat number?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Dont want your info only the flight details but if you are too paranoid to realize I'm trying to help flush out if you got screwed I'm not sure how else to help you.

FWIW everything else posted on this forum about what has happened to you is PURE SPECULATION as no one has actually looked at the flight details to see what happened.

I'm not an employee just married to one so I can promise anything I do (or have my wife do) wont be tracked back to you ...
I don't feel I am poorly treated by FTers, I understand the frustration at wanting to know more (so do I!). I will PM you the flight info. Thank you for trying.

I have my reissued BP but not the original one so I can't tell you what seat # I had, I just don't remember, and I have no idea if an FAM took the spot or not.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:11 am

To my way of thinking, an FAM would be the only legit excuse. I have read in other threads where a battlefield UG was removed and replaced with the original seat holder.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Pryde987

I decided that I wouldn't use AA again. Over the next 12 months, I probably flew 20,000 miles. I scanned every ticket and emailed their customer service, attaching the images and referencing the old ticket number. I said how an apology would've sufficed, but I would no longer fly them because of the poor experience I had. The CS rep basically wrote back "ok, this is all your choice." Thanks for reinforcing my decision, AA.
You've got to be kidding me. What a phenomenal waste of time. That's unbelievable!
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
To my way of thinking, an FAM would be the only legit excuse. I have read in other threads where a battlefield UG was removed and replaced with the original seat holder.
How could they justify a FAM bump on a paid upgrade, even if it was with miles? That's be like pushing a paid F fare back.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by weezl
I don't feel I am poorly treated by FTers, I understand the frustration at wanting to know more (so do I!). I will PM you the flight info. Thank you for trying.

I have my reissued BP but not the original one so I can't tell you what seat # I had, I just don't remember, and I have no idea if an FAM took the spot or not.
As I sent you in the PM the flight in question happened back in August and I dont (nor do I believe most others here) have the ability to look at information that far back within the DL system.

Sorry I cant be more help.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
I don't recall anyone saying they were going to do that.

When I shoot candids, it is always with the intent of photographing a given individual. It is absolutely legal and, of course, absolutely ethical. If you are in public, you have NO expectation of privacy and anyone can take your picture.

I don't take, "family snaps." I shoot photographs (and make videos), and my candids are frequently of specific individuals. As an example, you might like to look at this video I did of Hong Kong. Please tell me why you think it is unethical:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6VBmcRLIqg
Recall that the guidance given to the OP was to serripticiously photograph both Delta employees AND the pax "sitting in his seat" with the intent of somehow documenting alleged malfeasance on the part of the various parties. I'm not sure why you'd want to get a third party (me, for example) involved in a dispute you have with Delta. Further, I'm not sure why it's necesary to skulk around taking pictures of me.

Your examples are totally irrelevant. You aren't going around making negative comments, or accusing the individuals you are photographing of commiting some wrong against you.

By the way, your Hong Kong video was very nice. I wish I had the patience to do something similar with my various travel photos and videos.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by fttc
My point is that someone who bought stolen goods will be dragged into the mess as a witness whether he wants or not.

So if you are sitting in a BE seat that someone else believes is his, taking a picture of you in that seat (whether you like or not) provides the strongest record he has to validate/advance his arguement if it's indeed his, and he's entitled to that proof. BTW, I do believe "S" in this case, which makes such a photo even more important. The GA will plead ignorance later, and deny that even happened, and there is little proof otherwise.

As you mentioned, someone may very well object to that. So to avoid confrontation, people will do it discreetly. That's called "under cover". People do it, a lot of times for the right cause, not just police.

Now I don't condone posting those kinds of pictures on the internet with one sided stories to get even. Unfortunately, there is very little that can be done for real innocent people caught in the crossfire. That's the price to be paid to have free speech in this world.
Thanks for explaining, but I must be really dense today. I still don't really see the connection between my being seated in a seat I'm issued a boarding pass for by the airline and "stolen goods". In this case, there's really been no crime. At the end of the day, we're talking about a complimentary upgrade benefit that the airline extends to it's frequent flyers. I'm not buying an upgrade from a shady person in a mall parking lot selling them out of the back of their truck

As I said, If I'm siting in a seat and someone else believes it's their seat, there's no reason to skulk around sneaking pictures of me. Simply come up to me, say "Excuse me, I believe you're in my seat", and I'll check my boarding pass. If my boarding pass says that I'm indeed in the wrong seat, I'll blush, apologize profusely, and move quickly back to 37D On the other hand, if my boarding pass indicates the seat that I'm sitting in, I'll hit the FA call button and ask Detla staff to sort it out (while remaining seated, of course )

Sadly, the above situation wouldn't have worked for the OP since Delta had issued the OP another boarding pass. At the end of the day, Delta chose, at the last minute, not to extend a complimentary upgrade to the OP (one which they had previously promised the OP). I agree that the Op should be miffed, but Delta refunded him the miles for the upgrade so I'm not sure what else there is to discuss. Delta handled the situation poorly and hopefully, the OP will board early on in the future so that there is ample time to sort out these types of problems should they occur again.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Moebius01
How could they justify a FAM bump on a paid upgrade, even if it was with miles? That's be like pushing a paid F fare back.
I'm not an expert on Delta's Contract of Carriage (but any number of folks around here will profess to be). I believe you will find that Delta is not OBLIGATED to transport you specifically in the class of service you have booked, even if on a PAID ticket. For example, if you purchase a First Class ticket and Delta has to do a last-minute equipment swap to an aircraft with only coach seating, Delta will transport you in coach (and, I believe, do some type of refund. They may also offer you the option of being rebooked onto another flight with the appropriate class of service).
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Moebius01
Airlines are required to give an FAM any seat that he demands. This would be true even if that seat belongs to a passenger paying the highest possible fare.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Recall that the guidance given to the OP was to serripticiously photograph both Delta employees AND the pax "sitting in his seat" with the intent of somehow documenting alleged malfeasance on the part of the various parties. I'm not sure why you'd want to get a third party (me, for example) involved in a dispute you have with Delta. Further, I'm not sure why it's necesary to skulk around taking pictures of me.
"Surreptitiously." Once is a typo, twice is misspelling.

In this instance, because it is possible that the third-party was an NRSA.

Your examples are totally irrelevant. You aren't going around making negative comments, or accusing the individuals you are photographing of commiting some wrong against you.
Neither did the OP. "Documenting" is not the same thing as, "making negative comments," or, of course, "accusations." The circumstances here were very odd -- you don't disagree with that, do you? And the OP was disadvantaged as a result. Documenting the parties involved by photograph is no different than taking names.

By the way, your Hong Kong video was very nice. I wish I had the patience to do something similar with my various travel photos and videos.
Thank you. I find it's worth the effort -- I get to relive my travels twice, once when I edit the videos and again (and forever) when I view them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.