Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Gate agent confiscated my Biz class BP at MSP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate agent confiscated my Biz class BP at MSP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by udontknowme
And your reasoning is?

Generally speaking it's a "Contempt of Crew" "Crime". Google Marilyn Parver JetBlue. However the FAR would only apply on the plane.

A 56-year-old JetBlue passenger was led off the airplane in handcuffs by federal agents after refusing to delete a video she filmed of an altercation between two passengers.

JetBlue flight attendants threatened Marilyn Parver with imprisonment and told her she would be placed on the “no-fly” list, which would put her in the same category as terrorists.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P, A|Club G, DL SM, SPG G
Originally Posted by weezl
I surely do not want to give them any more business. Again, I am only Silver but I expect better even from an airline.
Three years ago when I was just starting out in my line of work, I flew AA and ORD had crazy weather per usual. I lived between MKE and ORD, so I wanted to just take a bus and not burn 5 hours waiting for my delayed flight (that might just get canceled anyway). Long story short, I was given three different answers by three separate GAs on how to reschedule and eventually I just pleaded "please, I just want a voucher for the bus." I sympathized with the GAs as the environment was tough for them, I was polite, and I mentally noted the names of the GAs. They wouldn't put me on the bus, so I just called a friend to come pick me up. He was kind enough-- in the snow-- to do so.

I went home and wrote AA, citing my frustration with the inconsistent answers as my major point. I gave names. I then also noted that the bus cost $26, and while it's a small amount, I should not have to pay it. I also noted the inconvenience my friend experienced in picking me up. Sure, they refunded the unused portion of my ticket (to the company), but no apologies.

I decided that I wouldn't use AA again. Over the next 12 months, I probably flew 20,000 miles. I scanned every ticket and emailed their customer service, attaching the images and referencing the old ticket number. I said how an apology would've sufficed, but I would no longer fly them because of the poor experience I had. The CS rep basically wrote back "ok, this is all your choice." Thanks for reinforcing my decision, AA.

I've since made Premier on United twice, Sliver Medallion on Delta once, and I'll make Premier Exec on United this year while also flying 20,000 miles on Delta. American probably would've seen most of that action; I've certainly flown more expensive, less convenient tickets just to avoid them.

Tell Delta to "eat ...." and never look back. If you feel like you got a raw deal, fly someone else.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by DaDaDan
^

You can photograph anything you want in an airport, including people.

A few airlines (I believe AA is one of them) have provisions in the Contract of Carriage or elsewhere stating that it is prohibited to photograph AA employees or equipment except for taking personal photographs. First, I'm not sure if Delta has similar rules. Second, these are contractual promises, which if you violated Delta's only recourse would be to sue you for its damages, which would be zero.

They cannot force you to delete the pictures.

They could try to offload you from the aircraft on the basis of your breach of the Contract of Carriage, but you could then sue them. Your breach (photographing) would probably not be found to be material enough to warrant their attempted cancelation of the Contract of Carriage (offloading you).

Furthermore, individual passengers have zero right to privacy or to not have their photographs taken while in public.
And that's why I'm asking. His unexplained statement sounds more like a threat than advice.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
First, if I were to take your picture, you wouldn't know; I'd just be talking on my cellphone as I walked past. And if you did notice and reported it, so what? If they want me to delete it from my phone, I'd ask for the instruction in writing or to be repeated for my answering machine, and I'd delete the copy in my phone.

Second, if you were given my seat, I care no more about your desires than you do about mine. But I'd certainly be willing to make a trade: I get the seat I paid (miles) for, and nothing further happens with the pictures. Or Delta management gets copies of the pictures of the GA who took my seat and the passenger who was put in it; perhaps they'll recognize why it was done and act appropriately.

Finally, if it got to the point where I posted the pictures, there wouldn't be any mislabeling. I'd stick with the facts, as being damning enough.
At a minimum, I would question your ethics if you go around serrupticiously snapping pictures of total strangers.

I've no idea what you mean when you say "if you were in my seat..." as a general rule, I only sit where my boarding card indicates until after the door closes. Even then, I ask an FA before I change seats. If YOU believe a duplicate seat assignment has bee made, just raise the issue to an agent or FA, and be prepared to produce the appropriate documentation. There's no reason to go skulking aound, sneaking pictures of strangers"

Finally, just who made YOU the sole arbiter of "facts" involving a stranger and the airline?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimrpa
At a minimum, I would question your ethics if you go around serrupticiously snapping pictures of total strangers.
Why? What is unethical about candid photography? I've been doing it for 50 years -- and you say I'm unethical?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

I've no idea what you mean when you say "if you were in my seat..." as a general rule, I only sit where my boarding card indicates until after the door closes. Even then, I ask an FA before I change seats. If YOU believe a duplicate seat assignment has bee made, just raise the issue to an agent or FA, and be prepared to produce the appropriate documentation. There's no reason to go skulking aound, sneaking pictures of strangers"

Finally, just who made YOU the sole arbiter of "facts" involving a stranger and the airline?
You may question my ethics all you wish. See if you can catch me caring.

I used "my seat" to refer to the one my original boarding pass stated, the one that I (hypothetically) paid (miles) for. If the GA improperly took it from me to give you, then your identity might help the airline determine the reason.

There was no duplication of seat assignments because the GA took the OP's original boarding pass. Haven't you read this thread, or even its title?

And I don't claim to be the arbiter of facts involving others, I claim to be able to observe facts when I'm involved, and to be able to state those facts as I choose.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:44 pm

This is similar to someone who unknowingly bought stolen goods, assuming s/he was not an accomplice to start with. I don't think declaration of privacy will really help much in this case.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by udontknowme
And your reasoning is?
Given the quite real possibility that the seat occupant is a FAM, you could well spend 6 hours or so with the TSA.

I am not making any statement about how absurd the security theater can be, but it is what it is.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
Generally speaking it's a "Contempt of Crew" "Crime". Google Marilyn Parver JetBlue. However the FAR would only apply on the plane.
As the facts show, in the end, everyone recognized she did not commit a crime. In fact, she probably has several causes of action against a number of parties in that incident.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:15 pm

While it may be socially unacceptable to take photos of random people, especially if you do it quite obviously, it is clearly not illegal. That's why celebrities have to put up with the paparazzi.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
Why? What is unethical about candid photography? I've been doing it for 50 years -- and you say I'm unethical?
It depends on the intent and context. Are you going around, surreptitiously photographing specific individuals you believe have wronged you, or participated in a perceived wrong against you, with the intent of publishing their image and your view? Then, yep, I'd consider it unethical and downright creepy. Barely a cut above upskirt photogs to be honest.

On the other hand, if you're going around snapping, for example, street scenes that include people, without the deliberate intent of photographing a given individual and your judgement of what you believe the individual's actions to be, then I don't have a problem with it. Goodness knows I've spent enough time at tourist destinations that I'm sure I'm in a bunch of different family vacation snaps without my knowledge!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
You may question my ethics all you wish. See if you can catch me caring.

I used "my seat" to refer to the one my original boarding pass stated, the one that I (hypothetically) paid (miles) for. If the GA improperly took it from me to give you, then your identity might help the airline determine the reason.

There was no duplication of seat assignments because the GA took the OP's original boarding pass. Haven't you read this thread, or even its title?

And I don't claim to be the arbiter of facts involving others, I claim to be able to observe facts when I'm involved, and to be able to state those facts as I choose.
Thank you. I will no longer question your ethics. I completely understand you now. Definitely not the class of person I care to know or associate with.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
It depends on the intent and context. Are you going around, surreptitiously photographing specific individuals you believe have wronged you, or participated in a perceived wrong against you, with the intent of publishing their image and your view? Then, yep, I'd consider it unethical and downright creepy. Barely a cut above upskirt photogs to be honest.

On the other hand, if you're going around snapping, for example, street scenes that include people, without the deliberate intent of photographing a given individual and your judgement of what you believe the individual's actions to be, then I don't have a problem with it. Goodness knows I've spent enough time at tourist destinations that I'm sure I'm in a bunch of different family vacation snaps without my knowledge!

Out of curiosity, where does the 'Gate Lice' thread fall then ?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by DaDaDan
While it may be socially unacceptable to take photos of random people, especially if you do it quite obviously, it is clearly not illegal. That's why celebrities have to put up with the paparazzi.
A few points. First, you are correct, it is not illegal to photograph people (there are some exceptions, but they don't fit this scenario). I never made a statement about the legality of photographing people. I did question the ethics of a specific situation. If I take a picture of you, then publish that picture with my speculation of some perceived wrong I believe you might have committed against me, I think my behavior would be ethically questionable.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by fttc
This is similar to someone who unknowingly bought stolen goods, assuming s/he was not an accomplice to start with. I don't think declaration of privacy will really help much in this case.
I don't follow. I made no comments about stolen goods or an expectation of privacy. I was speaking of someone surreptitiously photographing me with the intent of accusing me of participating in some wrong against them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.