Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Gate agent confiscated my Biz class BP at MSP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate agent confiscated my Biz class BP at MSP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by james318
The OP boarded at the end of the line. If there was still a line, it obviously was too soon for the seat to be given away.
I would assume they would page because someone might be in line.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA - PP
Given the OP's comments and clarifications, I can think of no way that Delta could weasel out of not giving back the entire 25k miles at the very minimum. At the gate well before time, plane still boarding so last call most likely not even announced yet, confirmed/paid for upgrade.

Add to that the "turning around of the nametag" and things really get not pretty. That said, I'm in full support of employee safety/privacy, so no last name should be given imho. First is probably enough with the details and if not, ask for an EmployeeID.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Photograph the GA. Then board, and photograph the passenger in what had been your seat.

Use your phone, and immediately mail the photos home.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by sethb
Photograph the GA. Then board, and photograph the passenger in what had been your seat.

I would not suggest that.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sethb

I don't think so. If I'm happy ensconced in my seat and some random person comes wandering into the cabin, snapping MY picture, you can bet I'm going to say something, at least to the flight crew.

Not all of us are really anxious to have our pictures appear on some moron's facecrook page, probably mislabeled as "upgrade theifs" or something.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by N639DL
Any passenger (cabin, paid or award, status, etc. doesn't matter) that isn't boarded after 15 minutes prior to departure is automatically taken off the flight. I'm imagining this is what happened to the OP.

I didn't read the entire thread, but if that is the case...OP, sorry, but you deserved it. If not, call DL.
Seriously, why bother posting if you don't read the OP's initial thread?

It would have taken less time than typing out 30 or so words.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by pokeable
Seriously, why bother posting if you don't read the OP's initial thread?

It would have taken less time than typing out 30 or so words.
I did read the initial post. I just didn't read however many posts there were from post #2 until my first post in this thread.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
If, in fact, the story is as you told it, you always have the option of complaining to DOT. That will almost assuredly result in a higher level response, but it may not yield any compensation.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by pragakhan
I wouldn't had boarded if I wasn't getting what I paid for. But then again, I make my travel plans in a way they are not time sensitive. I would had refused to take the new BP and asked for a supervisor.

If you where at the gate 15 min prior and everything else was up to snuff like already commented then finding out why this happened to me would be just as important as getting my miles/money back, maybe even more important.
IF THE OP HAD CHECKED LUGGAGE AND REFUSED TO GET ON A SUPERVISOR WOULD HAVE TO BE CALLED AND THE LUGGAE REMOVED. THAT WOULD HAVE SOLVED THE ISSUE.
This assumes the op was at the gate by the approriate time, I think it is 15 min.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by weezl
I printed my Biz BP at MSP about 4 hours before scheduled departure. There was a gate change and delay, and I was at both gates 30+ min prior to scheduled boarding (1st Gate) and 1 hour prior to actual boarding (gate 2). I watched the entire boarding process from my seat at the gate. I then boarded behind the last few people in line getting on, it was not like I waited until the door was about to close and they had no way of knowing I was or wasn't going to get on.

I am sure the seat issue had something to do with the delay??

Half of the 25K miles were given back.

I did call the 404 # and spoke to just one agent who said she already was a sup and that they do not escalate, and that they would not offer anything more than the $100 cert. I asked for an UG on my next flight or a $200 voucher or a RT cert but she just said no to all of these and then concluded with something to the effect of "Do you want it or not?"

&(*^*!

I surely do not want to give them any more business. Again, I am only Silver but I expect better even from an airline.

Though you were in the boarding area well before the departure time at what time before the time of departure did you actually go up to the gate and present your boarding pass??

Here is what I am wondering. What was your original seat? if a FC elise seat in row 2 or 3 your could have been FAMed into the back. (I like window seats and have never been FAMed out).

Otherwise, GA is boarding PAX and at some time at 15+ say 18+ they see the one FC seat is still open and decides close enough to remove your reservation and gives your seat away. Given their action I would say something was not kosher.

As much as I hate to sit on a plane, but given the airlines 15 minute rules and barring unforeseen circumstances if I am in F I board the damn plane cause once in the seat it is going to be harder (but not impossible) for them move me. Same in coach as I typically have an exit row and like the extra space.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I don't think so. If I'm happy ensconced in my seat and some random person comes wandering into the cabin, snapping MY picture, you can bet I'm going to say something, at least to the flight crew.

Not all of us are really anxious to have our pictures appear on some moron's facecrook page, probably mislabeled as "upgrade theifs" or something.
First, if I were to take your picture, you wouldn't know; I'd just be talking on my cellphone as I walked past. And if you did notice and reported it, so what? If they want me to delete it from my phone, I'd ask for the instruction in writing or to be repeated for my answering machine, and I'd delete the copy in my phone.

Second, if you were given my seat, I care no more about your desires than you do about mine. But I'd certainly be willing to make a trade: I get the seat I paid (miles) for, and nothing further happens with the pictures. Or Delta management gets copies of the pictures of the GA who took my seat and the passenger who was put in it; perhaps they'll recognize why it was done and act appropriately.

Finally, if it got to the point where I posted the pictures, there wouldn't be any mislabeling. I'd stick with the facts, as being damning enough.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by zsmith2
I would not suggest that.
And your reasoning is?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Though you were in the boarding area well before the departure time at what time before the time of departure did you actually go up to the gate and present your boarding pass??

Here is what I am wondering. What was your original seat? if a FC elise seat in row 2 or 3 your could have been FAMed into the back. (I like window seats and have never been FAMed out).

Otherwise, GA is boarding PAX and at some time at 15+ say 18+ they see the one FC seat is still open and decides close enough to remove your reservation and gives your seat away. Given their action I would say something was not kosher.

As much as I hate to sit on a plane, but given the airlines 15 minute rules and barring unforeseen circumstances if I am in F I board the damn plane cause once in the seat it is going to be harder (but not impossible) for them move me. Same in coach as I typically have an exit row and like the extra space.
As far as I know the policy is you merely have to be available in the gate area. I am not aware of any policy that requires you to make yourself known to the GA. If they need you they should page you in the boarding area.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by N639DL
Any passenger (cabin, paid or award, status, etc. doesn't matter) that isn't boarded after 15 minutes prior to departure is automatically taken off the flight. I'm imagining this is what happened to the OP.

I didn't read the entire thread, but if that is the case...OP, sorry, but you deserved it. If not, call DL.
It is certainly not automatic.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by udontknowme
And your reasoning is?
^

You can photograph anything you want in an airport, including people.

A few airlines (I believe AA is one of them) have provisions in the Contract of Carriage or elsewhere stating that it is prohibited to photograph AA employees or equipment except for taking personal photographs. First, I'm not sure if Delta has similar rules. Second, these are contractual promises, which if you violated Delta's only recourse would be to sue you for its damages, which would be zero.

They cannot force you to delete the pictures.

They could try to offload you from the aircraft on the basis of your breach of the Contract of Carriage, but you could then sue them. Your breach (photographing) would probably not be found to be material enough to warrant their attempted cancelation of the Contract of Carriage (offloading you).

Furthermore, individual passengers have zero right to privacy or to not have their photographs taken while in public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.