Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Gate agent confiscated my Biz class BP at MSP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate agent confiscated my Biz class BP at MSP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Right, I should have rephrased that to be "When did you show up? If within 15 of the departure time the seat was lost."

IIRC regardless of the seat if not within 15 of departure you lose your confirmed seat and the GA probably gave it away to another PAX. As such, the paying PAX now has a choice take the flight and whatever seat is available or wait for the next flight with same class of service. If the former, then they should get their miles back (or if paid a refund).
I printed my Biz BP at MSP about 4 hours before scheduled departure. There was a gate change and delay, and I was at both gates 30+ min prior to scheduled boarding (1st Gate) and 1 hour prior to actual boarding (gate 2). I watched the entire boarding process from my seat at the gate. I then boarded behind the last few people in line getting on, it was not like I waited until the door was about to close and they had no way of knowing I was or wasn't going to get on.

I am sure the seat issue had something to do with the delay??

Half of the 25K miles were given back.

I did call the 404 # and spoke to just one agent who said she already was a sup and that they do not escalate, and that they would not offer anything more than the $100 cert. I asked for an UG on my next flight or a $200 voucher or a RT cert but she just said no to all of these and then concluded with something to the effect of "Do you want it or not?"

&(*^*!

I surely do not want to give them any more business. Again, I am only Silver but I expect better even from an airline.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by hw711
I think he used miles to do the upgrade so it should be confirmed.
Any passenger (cabin, paid or award, status, etc. doesn't matter) that isn't boarded after 15 minutes prior to departure is automatically taken off the flight. I'm imagining this is what happened to the OP.

I didn't read the entire thread, but if that is the case...OP, sorry, but you deserved it. If not, call DL.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by weezl
I printed my Biz BP at MSP about 4 hours before scheduled departure. There was a gate change and delay, and I was at both gates 30+ min prior to scheduled boarding (1st Gate) and 1 hour prior to actual boarding (gate 2). I watched the entire boarding process from my seat at the gate. I then boarded behind the last few people in line getting on, it was not like I waited until the door was about to close and they had no way of knowing I was or wasn't going to get on.

I did call the 404 # and spoke to just one agent who said she already was a sup and that they do not escalate, and that they would not offer anything more than the $100 cert. I asked for an UG on my next flight or a $200 voucher or a RT cert but she just said no to all of these and then concluded with something to the effect of "Do you want it or not?"

&(*^*!

I surely do not want to give them any more business. Again, I am only Silver but I expect better even from an airline.
I've never flown delta and after reading your post I don't think I'd ever want to.

I don't see how giving you half your miles back for something you didn't get is fair. I'd call or write again.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RockoHorse
I've never flown delta and after reading your post I don't think I'd ever want to.

I don't see how giving you half your miles back for something you didn't get is fair. I'd call or write again.
its probably because he did fly up front on the outbound, thus 12.5k for a 1 way upgrade.....
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N639DL
I didn't read the entire thread, but if that is the case...OP, sorry, but you deserved it. If not, call DL.
Since this does not seem to be the case, and the OP did call DL, I think (s)he has every right to be pissed. If I were in the boarding area the entire time and simply boarded late in the process, and then found out my seat was given away I would be mad as well.

There is no way that I can think of that this would happen without:
a) change of equipment
b) FAM
c) shenanigans

Maybe one of our DL friends can provide some insight into what may have happened?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I feel like there is something missing from the whole story.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zsmith2
I feel like there is something missing from the whole story.
I agree that this may be the case, but it's not at all obvious what that may be from the information we currently have. If the OP would supply us with his/her flight information, perhaps you (or other people who are able) may be willing to take a peek at what happened?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:13 pm

I think the gate agent knew someone most likely a friend and as soon as biz class load the OP of this thread got bumped. Not proper and not right. I hope the OP escalates this issue and does not let go.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:16 pm

Perhaps there was a change of gauge (different sized aircraft) and there were fewer FC seats than booked FC passengers? One of several possibilities, I suppose, but it's hard to tell without any more information.

Originally Posted by Centurion
I think the gate agent knew someone most likely a friend and as soon as biz class load the OP of this thread got bumped. Not proper and not right. I hope the OP escalates this issue and does not let go.
There is no basis for that speculation based on what the OP has said.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by GBadger
Since this does not seem to be the case, and the OP did call DL, I think (s)he has every right to be pissed. If I were in the boarding area the entire time and simply boarded late in the process, and then found out my seat was given away I would be mad as well.

There is no way that I can think of that this would happen without:
a) change of equipment
b) FAM
c) shenanigans

Maybe one of our DL friends can provide some insight into what may have happened?
Well, lets see here...

Coloring and bolding was done by me

Originally Posted by weezl

&(*^*!

So....the OP waited too long apparently.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Sooo glad I left....
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Centurion
And I think you are grasping at straws and have no clue what went on yet decided to speculate...

@OP
Shoot me a PM with the flight information and I'll get a look at what happened
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by N639DL
Well, lets see here...

Coloring and bolding was done by me

So....the OP waited too long apparently.
The OP boarded at the end of the line. If there was still a line, it obviously was too soon for the seat to be given away.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:35 pm

The OP said he presented himself in the gate area well before T-15. The GA said the seat was given away. That's S word territory.

Be that as it may, if I were to be in the situation my response would be. "I made myself available in the boarding area well before the 15 cutoff. This was not a complementary upgrade. I will be happy to wait here while you remove the person from my seat."

Indicate you know the rules, you're going to stand your ground, but you'll be polite.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:45 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
My two thoughts: 1) The GA hiding credentials sure makes things look suspicious, and 2) While my inclination if I were to the OP would be to demand a supervisor, I suspect that could quickly deteriorate into a GA pulling the security card and making threats as to what would happen if you didn't do as you were told. It just makes me think how it's become very difficult to demand to be treated properly as a customer in an airport these days... I've thankfully had very few incidents of mis-treatment but when it's happened, it's tricky to navigate at best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.