Wiki Posts
Search

http://www.delta.com

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM / Hilton Diamond
http://www.delta.com

There has been quiet a bit of discussion about delta.com vs. nwa.com here.
Richard Anderson hosted an employee chat recently and was asked about this issue. I thought this may be interesting to some. Here is what he had to say:

Bryan (Jan 12, 2010 10:15:41 AM)
Hi Richard, thanks for taking time to “meet” with us.
At NW we were accustomed to the best IT systems in the industry. Our NWA.COM web site won multiple awards, and the systems that we use as crews was excellent. Feels like we have taken a step backwards with the merger – can’t print boarding passes on Delta.com, crew systems seem to have a lot of limitations (can’t book jumpseats on-line is one example). Customer facing systems have to come first, but is there money and resources being allocated to raise Delta systems up to the best they can be? Thanks.

Richard Anderson (Jan 12, 2010 10:15:41 AM)
We needed to take an adopt-and-go strategy on IT systems. As we complete the inventory integration, we will continue to make significant investments in IT. The crew systems were actually the same technology but later releases so it should be something we can fix in relatively short order. As to nwa.com and delta.com, they are actually very close in terms of functionality and customer acceptance. In neither case are we really winning against all consumer web sites. Consequently, we will undertake significant investment in delta.com after inventory cutover.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Executive
That's a good one. Mr. Anderson for last comic standing.

Originally Posted by FlyingForEternity
There has been quiet a bit of discussion about delta.com vs. nwa.com here.
Richard Anderson hosted an employee chat recently and was asked about this issue. I thought this may be interesting to some. Here is what he had to say:

Bryan (Jan 12, 2010 10:15:41 AM)
Hi Richard, thanks for taking time to “meet” with us.
At NW we were accustomed to the best IT systems in the industry. Our NWA.COM web site won multiple awards, and the systems that we use as crews was excellent. Feels like we have taken a step backwards with the merger – can’t print boarding passes on Delta.com, crew systems seem to have a lot of limitations (can’t book jumpseats on-line is one example). Customer facing systems have to come first, but is there money and resources being allocated to raise Delta systems up to the best they can be? Thanks.

We needed to take an adopt-and-go strategy on IT systems. As we complete the inventory integration, we will continue to make significant investments in IT. The crew systems were actually the same technology but later releases so it should be something we can fix in relatively short order. As to nwa.com and delta.com, they are actually very close in terms of functionality and customer acceptance. In neither case are we really winning against all consumer web sites. Consequently, we will undertake significant investment in delta.com after inventory cutover.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
... As to nwa.com and delta.com, they are actually very close in terms of functionality and customer acceptance.
He's not serious is he?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
This is too funny!

In the pantheon of Clueless American CEOs, I'd put him right up there with Roger Smith.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
In neither case are we really winning against all consumer web sites.
A rather indirect statement, but at least it implies that they recognize the problems.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Sabai
This is too funny!

In the pantheon of Clueless American CEOs, I'd put him right up there with Roger Smith.
Originally Posted by Evan!
He's not serious is he?
So y'all read the one part you disagree with and ignore the others that provide substance and discuss/prove that they see there are issues & they are going to be addressed?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
You can bold and highlight to your heart's content, but this statement
"As to nwa.com and delta.com, they are actually very close in terms of functionality and customer acceptance" has no grounding in reality.

The WorldPerks Flyertalk page didn't have the incessant bug reporting that so afflicts Delta.com, nor were NW flyers subjected to vagaries of the infamous Delta Award Calendar.

The man hasn't a fricking clue.

Perhaps one of his many minions should be deputed to spend a day or so perusing these very pages to see how the former NW flyers (who incidentally, paid Anderson's salary) feel about their "new" airline and its very subpar IT functionality.

Flame away.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham
So y'all read the one part you disagree with and ignore the others that provide substance and discuss/prove that they see there are issues & they are going to be addressed?
Um...when someone first makes a statement and then a promise...

I evaluate the statement first, if it is a lie, or un-true, or indicative of someone who doesn't have a correct understanding of their own company...

WELL....

That makes me question the promise...

Last edited by Burj; Jan 14, 2010 at 8:34 pm
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
For reservations, many airlines use a system first developed around 1956 for the IBM 7074 that a delusional CEO might still consider"actually very close in terms of functionality and customer acceptance: Fred & Barney
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
For reservations, many airlines use a system first developed around 1956 for the IBM 7074 that a delusional CEO might still consider"actually very close in terms of functionality and customer acceptance.
well, if they'd still use the in flight service system developed around 1956 we'd all be very happy.

Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
For reservations, many airlines use a system first developed around 1956 for the IBM 7074 that a delusional CEO might still consider"actually very close in terms of functionality and customer acceptance: Fred & Barney
C'mon the 7000 series was not introduced until '60's with the 7074 being released in 1961. I think that also is the birth year of Deltamatic

MO
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MachOne
C'mon the 7000 series was not introduced until '60's with the 7074 being released in 1961. I think that also is the birth year of Deltamatic

MO
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program...rvation_System
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
well, if they'd still use the in flight service system developed around 1956 we'd all be very happy.

With the inherent complexity and unreliability of turbo-compound engines, the volatility of high octane (up to 130/145) avgas, the potential structural problems of engines mounted within the wings instead of in separable pods, astral navigation (worked well for Amelia?), and a truly analog flight deck?

Enjoy!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the inherent complexity and unreliability of turbo-compound engines, the volatility of high octane (up to 130/145) avgas, the potential structural problems of engines mounted within the wings instead of in separable pods, astral navigation (worked well for Amelia?), and a truly analog flight deck?

Enjoy!
Nah, I just meant the cabin service.

Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Anderson
As to nwa.com and delta.com, they are actually very close in terms of functionality and customer acceptance.
LOL, I want whatever he's smoking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.