Community
Wiki Posts
Search

http://www.delta.com

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by Evan!
He's not serious is he?
Yes. Next, he might claim something like "SM is :-: best in class :-:
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by MachOne
C'mon the 7000 series was not introduced until '60's with the 7074 being released in 1961. I think that also is the birth year of Deltamatic

MO

I've also heard they haven't upgraded DLTragic since then either
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Sabai
The WorldPerks Flyertalk page didn't have the incessant bug reporting that so afflicts Delta.com
that's not a fair statement. i spent at least a year or more posting here on an almost daily basis. during one of our large large production loads, i even posted while it was happening it to keep everyone updated as we found issues and fixed them. i'm also the person that asked for the thread to be a sticky. my hope had been that people would look through the thread to see if their issue had been reported. unfortunately more times than not posts are prefaced with "this thread is too long" or "i didn't look." i found it interesting, if not a little insulting, that the expectation was for me/us to look into an issue even though the person reporting wouldn't do the due diligence to see if it had already been reported. its one of many factors that resulted in me all but stopping to post here.

additionally the northwest forum had a sticky thread shortly after they launched their move from 8x6 (800x600 resolution display) to 10x7 (1024x768 resolution display) to report bugs found. it was there for quite some time. its just that its easy to forget such things when one wants to bash delta.com.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:16 am

Programs: DL DM
DLWEBDEV. Thank you for sharing the news that upgrades are on the radar in the future. So sorry some on here think it is more constructive to attack than read what is actually being posted and thank you for the inside track. The way DL employees IN THE KNOW are being attacked on here makes me wonder if we will continue to enjoy this luxury.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 7:43 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by DeltaWebDev
that's not a fair statement. i spent at least a year or more posting here on an almost daily basis. during one of our large large production loads, i even posted while it was happening it to keep everyone updated as we found issues and fixed them. i'm also the person that asked for the thread to be a sticky. my hope had been that people would look through the thread to see if their issue had been reported. unfortunately more times than not posts are prefaced with "this thread is too long" or "i didn't look." i found it interesting, if not a little insulting, that the expectation was for me/us to look into an issue even though the person reporting wouldn't do the due diligence to see if it had already been reported. its one of many factors that resulted in me all but stopping to post here.

additionally the northwest forum had a sticky thread shortly after they launched their move from 8x6 (800x600 resolution display) to 10x7 (1024x768 resolution display) to report bugs found. it was there for quite some time. its just that its easy to forget such things when one wants to bash delta.com.
We appreciate your efforts in these respects. I've seen acknowledgments of your work and your communication here before.

But the real issue is the complete lack of functionality of the SM system. However much fixing is done with DL.COM, it can't help if - for example - there's no published award chart for non-US origins so nobody knows whether their 300k ticket from HNL to TPE is a SkySnork one or not.

And the issues with NWA.COM were minor in comparison. They certainly didn't have the potential to drive people to other airlines, as the SM dysfunctionality does. I do realize that this is well beyond your power to correct. But you can expect continuing criticism of DL.COM even if it effectively delivers as your management intends - this is because what revmgmt intends is so limited as to be almost useless from the customer viewpoint.

One day, I hope you have the chance to work for an airline management who are more forward-looking and who allocate the website, and you, the authority to make things happen in ways that genuinely satisfy customers.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
DLWEBDEV, please don't run away. I think part of the problem is what one defines as a bug. There is functionality on delta.com that might not be considered a bug by the people at Delta that some here are calling a bug. Specifically the award booking process. The information that we are given when trying to book award travel is often incomplete. This might not be a bug but rather the way Delta wants it to appear.

Another example might be the way SkyMiles details are now posting. To DL this might not be a bug but to many of us it would be called just that.

Your input is valuable and most of us appreciate all the efforts you have made for fixing true bugs.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
LOL, I want whatever he's smoking
Maybe a little Christmas present from Gary Wilson?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
C'mon the 7000 series was not introduced until '60's with the 7074 being released in 1961. I think that also is the birth year of Deltamatic

MO
Deltamatic was derived from an earlier system IBM designed for AA. The overall design & code dated to 1956.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Deltamatic was derived from an earlier system IBM designed for AA. The overall design & code dated to 1956.
Perhaps you would be surprised to realize that DLTerm and PARS are both based on Worldspan and are essentially the same? They are also currently using the same pricing system (99% sure).

Are you an ex- or current NW employee? You are so bitter. I worked for Delta in college and am actually quiet happy with Anderson as the CEO. Not only does he seem to have insight into the day-to-day operation, but he also frequently responds to employee and customer correspondence personally. How many CEOs do that?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingForEternity
Perhaps you would be surprised to realize that DLTerm and PARS are both based on Worldspan and are essentially the same? They are also currently using the same pricing system (99% sure).

Are you an ex- or current NW employee? You are so bitter. I worked for Delta in college and am actually quiet happy with Anderson as the CEO. Not only does he seem to have insight into the day-to-day operation, but he also frequently responds to employee and customer correspondence personally. How many CEOs do that?
Perhaps you would be surprised to learn that I am a software engineer with almost 40 years experience dating back to the IBM 360/40, and have never worked for NW.

Almost all of the airline reservations systems are derived from the AA reservations system:
It was during the testing phase of the Reservisor that a high-ranking IBM salesman, Blair Smith, was flying on an American Airlines flight from Los Angeles back to IBM in New York in 1953. [1] He found himself sitting next to AA president C. R. Smith.[2] Noting that they shared a family name, they began talking.[3]

Just prior to this chance meeting, IBM had been working with the US Air Force on their Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) project. SAGE used a series of large computers to coordinate the message flow from radar sites to interceptors, dramatically reducing the time needed to direct an attack on an incoming bomber. The system used teletype machines located all around the world to feed information into the system, which then sent orders back out to teletypes located at the fighter bases. It was one of the first online systems.

It was not lost on either man that the basic idea of the SAGE system was perfectly suited to AA's booking needs. Teletypes would be placed at AA's ticketing offices to send in requests and receive responses directly, without the need for anyone on the other end of the phone. The number of available seats on the aircraft could be tracked automatically, and if a seat was available the ticket agent could be notified instantly. Booking simply took one more command, updating the availability and even printing out the ticket for them.

Only 30 days later IBM sent a research proposal to AA, suggesting that they really study the problem and see if an "electronic brain" could actually help. They set up a team consisting of IBM engineers and a large number of AA's staff, taken from booking, reservations and ticket sales, calling the effort the Semi-Automated Business Research Environment, or SABRE.

A formal development arrangement was signed in 1957, and the first experimental system went online in 1960, based on two IBM 7090 mainframes in a new data center located in Briarcliff Manor, New York. The system was a success. Up until this point it had cost the astonishing sum of $40 million to develop and install (about $350 million in 2000 dollars). The SABRE system by IBM in the 1960s was specified to process a very large number of transactions, such as handling 83,000 daily phone calls.[4] The system took over all booking functions in 1964, at which point the name had changed to the more familiar SABRE. [5] In 1972 the system was migrated to IBM System/360 systems in a new underground location in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Originally used only by American Airlines, the system was expanded to travel agents in 1976.

With SABRE up and running, IBM offered its expertise to other airlines, and soon developed Deltamatic for Delta Air Lines on the IBM 7074, and PANAMAC for Pan American World Airways using an IBM 7080. In 1968 they generalized their work into the PARS (Programmed Airline Reservation System), which ran on any member of the IBM System/360 family and thus could support any sized airline. This evolved into ACP (Airlines Control Program), and later to TPF (Transaction Processing Facility).

By the 1980s, SABRE offered airline reservations through the CompuServe Information Service and GEnie under the Eaasy SABRE[6][7] brand. This service was extended to America Online in the 1990s.
Whatever name you give a particular version of the system, the internals are largely shared & date to the original development effort. I'd suggest you better educate yourself before you pick an argument that you are going to lose.

I'd also suggest you make more of an effort to disclose your current and past relationships with Delta.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: National ES
Originally Posted by FlyingForEternity

Your statement speaks to nothing of the huge differences between the two systems in terms of the superior command logic (PARS), flexibility (PARS), and its interactivity with AOP vs. Cornerstone (which by the way is like stepping back into the stone ages).

Despite my misgivings about the DL res/acs systems, Anderson is a great CEO.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Just wanting point out that your original post indicated that the IBM 7074 existed in 1956. It did not. It was "rolled out on July 7, 1960".

ergo, if Deltamatic was developed by IBM for the 7074...

Also, I'm not the least bit surprised that the airline reservation systems are interrelated. As you pointed out, they are mostly IBM spawn.

MO

Last edited by MachOne; Jan 15, 2010 at 5:41 pm Reason: Added "spawn" as per Gargoyle's suggestion.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Also, I'm not the least bit surprised that the airline reservation systems are interrelated. AS you pointed out, they are mostly IBM offspring.
I think "spawn" would be a better choice of words than "offspring".
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Great suggestion! I was going to work something about incest into the post, but thought better of it.

MO
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Or as we used to say of a certain coworker of mine back around 1980, "program it again, Dave". You get something a little different and maybe a little better every time it's (re)coded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.