Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
One can't redeem SkyMiles for F awards on KE (or AF...)

Routings that minimize flown segments JFK-BKK include:

JFK-NRT-BKK on DL
JFK-ICN-BKK on KE
JFK-PVG-BKK on MU
JFK-KIX-TPE-BKK on CI
Thanks. I forgot about the no int'l F but KE's website with all its tables really confused me.

Originally Posted by mtkeller
If you're spending DL miles, DL's chart applies, regardless of the carrier(s) you fly.
Right but does that mean we get the lowest class of service that DL's award chart pays for? KE appears to base awards on cabin, peak vs off peak and sleeper vs non-sleeper. For example assuming I fly KE JFK-BKK during peak season on prestige. Sleeper is 185k and non-sleeper is 155k. Would I still get the flight for 120k? If instead I got the flight for 180k could I still get prestige sleeper?

Suppose instead that I different segments on different carriers. Would the possible class of service provided by KE change? (

Originally Posted by arcticbull
You could also do JFK-(DL)-LAX-(CZ)-CAN-(CZ)-BKK. Apparently the China Southern product from LAX-CAN isn't half bad, and there's a lot of availability in Business onward from Guangzhou. Looks like they fly 4x daily (at least). Something to consider.

However, KE availability on the JFK-ICN A380 is nothing short of phenomenal. I've never seen 6-9 J-class seats available on the same plane before -- ever. And their ICN-BKK availability is also pretty good, and they have essentially nonexistent YQ. And a great product too. Their A380s all have full-flat seats, and there are 2 onboard lounges for business passengers.
Thanks. I never flew KE or CZ. My brother keeps telling me I should fly CX but I have no OW miles (maybe a mistake not to take advantage of the 33% MR bonus to BA). Still it';s something to think about. I would love to fly up front in a A380.

BTW - maybe the wrong place to ask this, but on flights with 3 classes of service, do airlines ever oversell J and opup to F?

Thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Right but does that mean we get the lowest class of service that DL's award chart pays for? KE appears to base awards on cabin, peak vs off peak and sleeper vs non-sleeper. For example assuming I fly KE JFK-BKK during peak season on prestige. Sleeper is 185k and non-sleeper is 155k. Would I still get the flight for 120k? If instead I got the flight for 180k could I still get prestige sleeper?

Suppose instead that I different segments on different carriers. Would the possible class of service provided by KE change? (
Partner awards are only available at LOW, and once again, DL's chart applies. You can't book peak season, as those are blackout dates for DL. If KE has peak season pricing for a single route on a given date, you can't book any KE flight with DL miles on that date. It's all really simple, other than needing to track the blackout dates. DL doesn't care about what type of seat KE's putting you in, they charge you low or it's not bookable.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
And of course DL doesn't use KE's blackout dates on a route-by-route basis. If ANY route is blacked out on KE, you can't use SkyMiles to book ANY KE flight during that period, whether they include that route or not. For example, if KE has just Korea-China blacked out on the 3rd-4th of March, you can't fly on KE AT ALL on the 3rd of 4th of March using SkyMiles.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
If you're spending DL miles, DL's chart applies, regardless of the carrier(s) you fly.
And keep in mind all partners are only at low, or not available at all.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Thanks. I forgot about the no int'l F but KE's website with all its tables really confused me.

What are you talking about?
Redemptions with Flying Blue or Skymiles?
If you are looking at FB redemptions I don't understand what this has to do with Skymiles redemptions.
And what do you mean by sleeper vs non-sleeper - first vs business class award redemptions with FB?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by GrizShel
What are you talking about?
Redemptions with Flying Blue or Skymiles?
If you are looking at FB redemptions I don't understand what this has to do with Skymiles redemptions.
And what do you mean by sleeper vs non-sleeper - first vs business class award redemptions with FB?
KE has two types of long-haul J seats, Prestige Plus and Prestige Sleeper. They charge more miles to SkyPass members (where did FB even come into this discussion) to redeem for the better Prestige Sleeper seats, and sbjnyc was confused about if those surcharges applied when redeeming SkyMiles. I think we got him/her all sorted.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: DL (NW) Silver, UA (CO), AA, AC
Posts like this make me think maybe we should retire this sticky in favor of a new one that has the current best practices (FB engine, KE blackout dates, using EF/KVS/WanderingAramean for KE inventory, etc.) in the first few posts and then can continue with Q&A. Seems some of the other forums have such things.
I agree wholeheartedly mtkeller.

My tactics and results have varied over the years as DL & others make changes. The basic advice of ignoring the DL calendar and, if using delta.com searching one-way gateway-gateway on "Schedule" (as opposed to "Price"), still applies.

Regarding a recent post on linking TATL J with intra-European Y, although delta.com can occasionally find those, I've had better success having a DL agent do that. They have sometimes found more inventory and occasionally in J as well.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 1:18 pm

just booked my first awards tickets which will likely also be my first time flying business class. ORD to AMS on aug 21 in KLM biz, then CDG to ORD sept 30 in AF biz. flight was $3000 on expedia, but cost me roughly $700 actual money using 100k miles from the skymall 25k event and $130. very happy with myself right now.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
KE has two types of long-haul J seats, Prestige Plus and Prestige Sleeper. They charge more miles to SkyPass members (where did FB even come into this discussion) to redeem for the better Prestige Sleeper seats, and sbjnyc was confused about if those surcharges applied when redeeming SkyMiles. I think we got him/her all sorted.
+1, this thread only becomes about the last few posts...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:09 pm

Has anyone else noticed hiccups with AF's award search engine?

With the help of DL's award calendar and AS's search engine, I was able to find a SLC-ORD-CDG-SLC 3/6/12 - 11/27/12 all in first/business and all on DL. It prices correctly at 100,000 miles on DL's site, but AF cannot see it no matter what.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by michael_v
Has anyone else noticed hiccups with AF's award search engine?

With the help of DL's award calendar and AS's search engine, I was able to find a SLC-ORD-CDG-SLC 3/6/12 - 11/27/12 all in first/business and all on DL. It prices correctly at 100,000 miles on DL's site, but AF cannot see it no matter what.
FlyingBlue sometimes has difficulty appending a Delta domestic segment to the gateway-CDG flight, as in your SLC-ORD segment. I use the FB search engine a lot, but it has its own extensive set of anomalies.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AeroMexico has added online award searches to its Club Premier program. No miles are needed for searching. I will assume that awards shown as Classic Coach and Classic Business are available for SkyMiles redemption, and Always Coach and Always Business are not.

There is no flexible date search: date by date, only.

It will show awards with some horrifically long layovers; not just up to 24 hours on an international itin, but >48.

It fails even to recognize some codeshared airports (DTW, for one), so I don't hold up much hope for SkyTeam partner carrier inventory being searched proficiently. I tested CDG-MEX where AF showed available award inventory, without success.

Still, AM has a sizeable network and can be useful throughout Latin America, and on select routes MEX-Europe.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:10 am

Does Delta allow US-Europe via MEX on award tickets?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One might make some Texas/southwest routings work via MEX but others will run into MPM issues.

I came upon several DL-coded, AM-operated segments found in delta.com award searches USA-Mexico. I didn't click through to see if they would ticket or error-out, however.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 4:44 am

Also on a similar note don't forget AM's TIJ-PVG which could be useful for SAN/southern California pax connecting to MU's hub in PVG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.