Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by michael_v
Thank you for reminding me that RO availability does not show on dl.com. Same thing with AZ. I am using the Wandering Aramean website to search RO availability.

But for the rest of the partners (AF, KL), are you saying that even when dl.com one-way single segment searches by schedule returns nothing, agents can still find it if instructed to search segment by segment and the award really exists?
There seems to be something wrong with the DL systems right now, as there are two other threads discussing not finding O inventory on O9 flights (or showing it and then giving the "your flight just sold out" error). I'd see if the agents can check in the AF/KL systems, as there have been reports of excellent agents doing this during past hiccups.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
There seems to be something wrong with the DL systems right now, as there are two other threads discussing not finding O inventory on O9 flights (or showing it and then giving the "your flight just sold out" error). I'd see if the agents can check in the AF/KL systems, as there have been reports of excellent agents doing this during past hiccups.
I have been talking to 3 agents this morning. The last one seemed the most flexible and said he double checked in the AF system (although it didn't take him long to do that, so I suspect he didn't look in the right place) and found nothing. I did mention that there should have been 9 seats available in class O. I also asked if he heard of other people having problems and he said no. I will try again later today, but this experience is beyond frustrating.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by michael_v
I have been talking to 3 agents this morning. The last one seemed the most flexible and said he double checked in the AF system (although it didn't take him long to do that, so I suspect he didn't look in the right place) and found nothing. I did mention that there should have been 9 seats available in class O. I also asked if he heard of other people having problems and he said no. I will try again later today, but this experience is beyond frustrating.
I'm actually having issues myself. Last night I found routing in J on KVS TPA-OTP-TPA. The TATL portions were on AF. As mtkeller mentioned, DL would show the AF flights but then say they gave sold out etc. Will be checking again today.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hilton Honors
V Australia reward ticket through Delta

I am new to using Skymiles for anything other than non-stop domestic flights, so please help me. I am planning a honeymoon to Australia this fall and have identified several V Australia business class options that I considering. Can I book a LAX to SYD departing, but MEL to LAX return at miles posed on V Australia website? I have read several post that indicate that I can add the ATL to LAX/LAX to ATL leg without using any additional miles. Is this correct and are there any limitations?

Last question for now, what is the best method for domestic air travel in Australia?

Thanks in advance for your help and I have enjoyed reading many post in the forum.

Eric
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by tradere
I am new to using Skymiles for anything other than non-stop domestic flights, so please help me. I am planning a honeymoon to Australia this fall and have identified several V Australia business class options that I considering. Can I book a LAX to SYD departing, but MEL to LAX return at miles posed on V Australia website? I have read several post that indicate that I can add the ATL to LAX/LAX to ATL leg without using any additional miles. Is this correct and are there any limitations?

Last question for now, what is the best method for domestic air travel in Australia?

Thanks in advance for your help and I have enjoyed reading many post in the forum.

Eric
Welcome to FT!

You need the basic award seat (not "any seat" of whatever they call it) to be available to book through DL. The miles required will be based on DL's chart, which is 150K for J and (I think...someone will correct if wrong) 100K for Y. Yes, you can fly into SYD and out of MEL. Could even fly to SYD, have a stopover, fly to BNE/CNS/MEL/ADL/wherever, then make your own way to MEL and fly out of there. Domestic Australian flights are pretty cheap. Sign up for VA/DJ and JetStar (QF's LCC subsidiary) weekly fare sale emails. Even QF's prices are good, considering they include a checked bag and often food. If making three or more flights, check out VA's AirPass. The locals in the Australia forum will be more than happy to advise on the details once you get your flights booked.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
And V Australia charges a fairly hefty fuel surcharge, too.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:04 pm

Thanks

Welcome to FT!

You need the basic award seat (not "any seat" of whatever they call it) to be available to book through DL. The miles required will be based on DL's chart, which is 150K for J and (I think...someone will correct if wrong) 100K for Y. Yes, you can fly into SYD and out of MEL. Could even fly to SYD, have a stopover, fly to BNE/CNS/MEL/ADL/wherever, then make your own way to MEL and fly out of there. Domestic Australian flights are pretty cheap. Sign up for VA/DJ and JetStar (QF's LCC subsidiary) weekly fare sale emails. Even QF's prices are good, considering they include a checked bag and often food. If making three or more flights, check out VA's AirPass. The locals in the Australia forum will be more than happy to advise on the details once you get your flights booked.
mtkeller, Thanks for all of this great information. A question based on the possibilities you suggested, if I want to do the ATL/LAX/SYD, have stopover/CNS, do I have to go to delta with specific VA flights for the SYD/CNS leg? Can that be a 2 or 3 day stopover in SYD before heading to CNS?

Thanks again for your help. The FT community is great.

Jamito - Unfortunately, I am aware of the surcharge.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:50 am

mtkeller, Thanks for all of this great information. A question based on the possibilities you suggested, if I want to do the ATL/LAX/SYD, have stopover/CNS, do I have to go to delta with specific VA flights for the SYD/CNS leg? Can that be a 2 or 3 day stopover in SYD before heading to CNS?

Thanks again for your help. The FT community is great.

Jamito - Unfortunately, I am aware of the surcharge.
It could be a stopover of however long you want? Search for the SYD-CNS flight on its own with VA, as you'll still need it to have award inventory.

Oh, I should mention in terms of ATL-LAX, be sure it has LOW inventory, as otherwise it will mess up,the pricing. Take low coach if it's all you can find and are booking biz over the water. Also, consider making a connection if the non-stops don't have any inventory.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:09 am

It could be a stopover of however long you want? Search for the SYD-CNS flight on its own with VA, as you'll still need it to have award inventory.

Oh, I should mention in terms of ATL-LAX, be sure it has LOW inventory, as otherwise it will mess up,the pricing. Take low coach if it's all you can find and are booking biz over the water. Also, consider making a connection if the non-stops don't have any inventory.
Whats the best way to check ATL-LAX? I looked at the award calendar and found low business class fares, but once I started to select flights the lowest value available is 62.5k which doesn't seem like low for both ways. Econ class didnt have the best set of days. So any suggestions on how to attach or is the 62.5 really low for that ticket. Note: I am starting my search with Econ selected.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:36 am

Whats the best way to check ATL-LAX? I looked at the award calendar and found low business class fares, but once I started to select flights the lowest value available is 62.5k which doesn't seem like low for both ways. Econ class didnt have the best set of days. So any suggestions on how to attach or is the 62.5 really low for that ticket. Note: I am starting my search with Econ selected.
You might start with the FlyingBlue engine on KLM.com. (Free account required, but no miles need to be in the account.) Anything on DL it can find will book into low.

If that fails, take the segment-based approach looking for a connection between ATL and LAX on DL.dumb, keeping in mind that the routing rules are going to help you here when you put it all together. Viable non-hub connecting points include MIA, DCA (using AS for DCA-LAX), SEA (AS ATL-SEA-LAX), TPA, IND, MSY, etc. Basically, if you have to, have a look at the list of places DL flies from LAX (Wikipedia has one on the LAX page) and try to piece something together. I don't think any of them will create an invalid routing for ATL-Australia. (Searching only for ATL-LAX, these places won't come up, as BOS is the only non-hub included in ATL-LAX routing rules.)
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I wonder if DL considers this transcon on the 767 with flatbeds?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
I wonder if DL considers this transcon on the 767 with flatbeds?
They don't send a 767 with flat beds between ATL and LAX as far as I know. There's a regular 777. However, I'm pretty sure they only charge the mileage premium when the service is sold as Business Elite with the better service, i.e. JFK-LAX/SFO. In any case, should only be 60K at low if priced as domestic BE.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 8:59 pm

You might start with the FlyingBlue engine on KLM.com. (Free account required, but no miles need to be in the account.) Anything on DL it can find will book into low.

If that fails, take the segment-based approach looking for a connection between ATL and LAX on DL.dumb, keeping in mind that the routing rules are going to help you here when you put it all together. Viable non-hub connecting points include MIA, DCA (using AS for DCA-LAX), SEA (AS ATL-SEA-LAX), TPA, IND, MSY, etc. Basically, if you have to, have a look at the list of places DL flies from LAX (Wikipedia has one on the LAX page) and try to piece something together. I don't think any of them will create an invalid routing for ATL-Australia. (Searching only for ATL-LAX, these places won't come up, as BOS is the only non-hub included in ATL-LAX routing rules.)
mtkeller,

I have looked at flyblue and most of the DL routes from ATL to LAX that you have suggested, but it seems that even if the award calendar states Low, when I go to pick the flight it is not in the low award ticket value. Of course my focus to this point has been first/bus, but if I cannot make that happen, then I will do econ. How do I really know if I am picking a low fare, because it does not seem like I can trust the award calendar? This is much harder than any math that I had to take while getting my engineering degree.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:17 pm

mtkeller,

I have looked at flyblue and most of the DL routes from ATL to LAX that you have suggested, but it seems that even if the award calendar states Low, when I go to pick the flight it is not in the low award ticket value. Of course my focus to this point has been first/bus, but if I cannot make that happen, then I will do econ. How do I really know if I am picking a low fare, because it does not seem like I can trust the award calendar? This is much harder than any math that I had to take while getting my engineering degree.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Do you have an example (date and exact routing) that FB is showing but DL.dumb is not pricing at low? If FB can book it, it's available for low. DL.dumb might be doing something wrong (not a surprise, it is called DL.dumb for a reason), so you might want to try calling.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: Most
Is award booking engine completely broken? Trying to find Biz seats from atl-mad and I find all sorts of green, but when click the dates it shows 325000 per ticket. I tried searching econ first and then switching to biz, but no luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.