Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Scotland is still part of the UK.
Of course you're right. Don't know what I was thinking.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Is anyone having the same experience that I am?

It used to be that if you searched for one-way international economy award tickets, and found one that was 100M miles, it was usually a business award. Lately I'm finding a lot of one-way 100M awards that are strictly economy. Has something basic changed that I'm not aware of?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Does this work SEA to CPT?

I spend some time trying this a few months ago and got nowhere at all. I figured because this thread was started 3 years ago it no longer worked with Delta's current award website.

Now I see months later people are still talking about using the system so I thought I would try again.
I still can't get it to work. Is it even possible to use this system to book a trip from SEA to CPT in business?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by TaxiApple
I spend some time trying this a few months ago and got nowhere at all. I figured because this thread was started 3 years ago it no longer worked with Delta's current award website.

Now I see months later people are still talking about using the system so I thought I would try again.
I still can't get it to work. Is it even possible to use this system to book a trip from SEA to CPT in business?
I'd start with the FlyingBlue search on airfrance.us since it does flexible date search across more carriers. Since DL is taking over the TATLs out of SEA, you might need to consider gateways out of which AF/KL fly instead of SEA and then look for an AS segment to tack on to get you from SEA to the gateway. (Or take DL in Y from SEA to the gateway.)
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Searching IAH-CPH (Copenhagen) business class for September. A few weeks ago, some dates would show up in "low tier," but when I clicked, nothing was there.

Yesterday, there was no availability at all on the award calendar, but I notice that the DL service to Copenhagen (out of JFK) ends before my trip begins.

I ignore the calendar, but still cannot find any low fares. At this point, I am likely to prefer AF or KL because DL would require a double connection since no service to CPH.

So I back up one step and do individual date searches for IAH-CDG and IAH-AMS. I can't find any low availability on KLM (to AMS) but manage to find bookable dates on CDG.

Then I do a multiple segment search, and enter those dates that have shown availability. For some reason CDG-CPH will only return coach options, but who really cares at this point.

I am able to book two seats at the low level business class doing this. Whew!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Watchful
Searching IAH-CPH (Copenhagen) business class for September. A few weeks ago, some dates would show up in "low tier," but when I clicked, nothing was there.

Yesterday, there was no availability at all on the award calendar, but I notice that the DL service to Copenhagen (out of JFK) ends before my trip begins.

I ignore the calendar, but still cannot find any low fares. At this point, I am likely to prefer AF or KL because DL would require a double connection since no service to CPH.

So I back up one step and do individual date searches for IAH-CDG and IAH-AMS. I can't find any low availability on KLM (to AMS) but manage to find bookable dates on CDG.

Then I do a multiple segment search, and enter those dates that have shown availability. For some reason CDG-CPH will only return coach options, but who really cares at this point.

I am able to book two seats at the low level business class doing this. Whew!
Posts like this make me think maybe we should retire this sticky in favor of a new one that has the current best practices (FB engine, KE blackout dates, using EF/KVS/WanderingAramean for KE inventory, etc.) in the first few posts and then can continue with Q&A. Seems some of the other forums have such things.

FB is down at the moment, but you could have saved a ton of time vs. individual date searches by trying IAH-AMS/CDG on FB as it does several weeks at a time. The one thing that I don't care for is that it won't match an intra-European Y sector with a TATL J sector (at least I've never seen it) like DL.dumb sometimes will do for you. However, the easy way around that is to do segment-by-segment like you figured out.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:12 pm

Looking into a trip to and SE asia. Something like JFK-NRT-BKK-JFK with a few days in Tokyo and a few more in Bangkok. Do any ST members with non-stop award travel between BKK and JFK? I didn't find any (used the iphone app) but just wanted to check.

I think my best bet for the return would be through KE (DL is not playing nice) but I'm having a hard time understanding their award charts. Anyone know of a site (or a thread here) with a good explanation of KE business/FC awards?

Then again if I took AF instead maybe I can do a RTW trip but not sure it's worth the extra 40k (?) miles for the priviledge.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Do any ST members with non-stop award travel between BKK and JFK? I didn't find any (used the iphone app) but just wanted to check.

Anyone know of a site (or a thread here) with a good explanation of KE business/FC awards?
One can't redeem SkyMiles for F awards on KE (or AF...)

Routings that minimize flown segments JFK-BKK include:

JFK-NRT-BKK on DL
JFK-ICN-BKK on KE
JFK-PVG-BKK on MU
JFK-KIX-TPE-BKK on CI
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Looking into a trip to and SE asia. Something like JFK-NRT-BKK-JFK with a few days in Tokyo and a few more in Bangkok. Do any ST members with non-stop award travel between BKK and JFK? I didn't find any (used the iphone app) but just wanted to check.

I think my best bet for the return would be through KE (DL is not playing nice) but I'm having a hard time understanding their award charts. Anyone know of a site (or a thread here) with a good explanation of KE business/FC awards?

Then again if I took AF instead maybe I can do a RTW trip but not sure it's worth the extra 40k (?) miles for the priviledge.
If you're spending DL miles, DL's chart applies, regardless of the carrier(s) you fly.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:04 pm

I'm trying to find award space from JFK to Sydney using delta skymiles. I found low award space on virgin australia on the outbound, but I can't find a v australia or delta return flight. The only one i see is priced at high award pricing. My dates are 12-22-12 until 01-05-12, plus minus 2 days.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by dshargorodsky
I'm trying to find award space from JFK to Sydney using delta skymiles. I found low award space on virgin australia on the outbound, but I can't find a v australia or delta return flight. The only one i see is priced at high award pricing. My dates are 12-22-12 until 01-05-12, plus minus 2 days.
There are other partners that fly to Oz: KE, CZ, MU , CI.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
One can't redeem SkyMiles for F awards on KE (or AF...)

Routings that minimize flown segments JFK-BKK include:

JFK-NRT-BKK on DL
JFK-ICN-BKK on KE
JFK-PVG-BKK on MU
JFK-KIX-TPE-BKK on CI
You could also do JFK-(DL)-LAX-(CZ)-CAN-(CZ)-BKK. Apparently the China Southern product from LAX-CAN isn't half bad, and there's a lot of availability in Business onward from Guangzhou. Looks like they fly 4x daily (at least). Something to consider.

However, KE availability on the JFK-ICN A380 is nothing short of phenomenal. I've never seen 6-9 J-class seats available on the same plane before -- ever. And their ICN-BKK availability is also pretty good, and they have essentially nonexistent YQ. And a great product too. Their A380s all have full-flat seats, and there are 2 onboard lounges for business passengers.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Never hurts to call an agent, many times what shows up on the awards calendar is not correct and the agent may be able to find availability for you. Be persistent and don't give up easily, you should be able to find what you want eventually.

Also I assume you mean 12-22-12 thru 01-05-13?? not 01-05-12 correct?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by craig44485
Never hurts to call an agent, many times what shows up on the awards calendar is not correct and the agent may be able to find availability for you. Be persistent and don't give up easily, you should be able to find what you want eventually.

Also I assume you mean 12-22-12 thru 01-05-13?? not 01-05-12 correct?
That is correct. I got some conflicting answers before, but how much would the following award cost: LAX to Sydney low partner award, Sydney to LAX medium Delta award.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
That is correct. I got some conflicting answers before, but how much would the following award cost: LAX to Sydney low partner award, Sydney to LAX medium Delta award.
Are you wanting BE or Y? All DL partner awards book at the low level, so Y on a partner would be 50K SM, BE low would be 75K SM, for the LAX to Sydney, on DL return leg should be 70K SM for Y, and and 120K Sm for BE.

So if all in Y then I would venture to guess 125K SM, if all in BE then 190K SM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.