Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
If you can find a Chisholm elite agent, you can often get what you want, much easier. Not easy to do these days, as you get the other locations more often.

Yes, DL does seem to make it as hard as possible to redeem. I take it as a challenge or a complicated puzzle that I have to figure out.
So how can I tell when I have gotten in touch with a Chisholm elite agent? Never thought it would be this hard. Heck I am even willing to buy the domestic tickets to the hub cities. I have fairly wide open dates, any time in February, March or even April for a 2 week trip, US hub city JFK, ATL, MSP, SEA, SLC, DTW, PDX, LAX to MNL on either DL or KE.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:06 pm

Help booking flight to Venice, flying back from Rome

I'm a newbie, hope you can help. I want 3 tickets to Italy; my first preference is FLL to VCE, back via ROME to FLL or MIA. That's not working out. But I do find flights on AF, JFK-CDG, CDG-VCE, and returning FCO-CDG, CDG-JFK; I can get 3 in Premier Voyageur (on the intercontinental legs) for 189,000 on AF, but have DL miles; of course on DL it's like 325,000 .... If I am reading this thread correctly, I should be able to call DL and tell them those flights on AF, and I can book through DL for the 189K? I have to transfer some miles/points around to get that many, but I can do it. Then I'll have to buy R/T tickets from FLL to JFK ...

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie. This stuff makes my head spin ...
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by seansmother
I'm a newbie, hope you can help. I want 3 tickets to Italy; my first preference is FLL to VCE, back via ROME to FLL or MIA. That's not working out. But I do find flights on AF, JFK-CDG, CDG-VCE, and returning FCO-CDG, CDG-JFK; I can get 3 in Premier Voyageur (on the intercontinental legs) for 189,000 on AF, but have DL miles; of course on DL it's like 325,000 .... If I am reading this thread correctly, I should be able to call DL and tell them those flights on AF, and I can book through DL for the 189K? I have to transfer some miles/points around to get that many, but I can do it. Then I'll have to buy R/T tickets from FLL to JFK ...

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie. This stuff makes my head spin ...
Welcome to FT!

Only economy and business are bookable with DL miles, so you won't be able to get the premium voyageur seats.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, DL
Hi All,

Just an FYI regarding PM's for award travel assistance. While I welcome messages regarding help, please always try and post in this forum first due to the following:

1) Many individuals have the same questions, thus keeping the dialogue here often helps benefit others.

2) While I am familiar with the DL award engine, others FT members such as; 3Cforme, mtkeller, and Jaimito Cartero, are active in this thread and have advanced knowledge of the award ticketing process as well.

3) I don't get to my PM's often due to work and a heavy class load, so would hate to keep you waiting

So... Happy searching and safe travels...

Cheers!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Welcome to FT!

Only economy and business are bookable with DL miles, so you won't be able to get the premium voyageur seats.
And Premium Voyageur is Premium Economy? Bummer. Some flights only have availability in that class (or business class and I don't have 300k for that).
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
And Premium Voyageur is Premium Economy? Bummer.
Don't give up. There are lots of Delta, Air France, KLM and Alitalia gateways that could be useful to you: JFK, Newark, Miami, Orlando, Boston, Wash Dulles, Philadelphia, PIT, Montreal, Toronto... The ~eighteen cities Atlanta-Europe non-stop is just a start.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jan 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Don't give up. There are lots of Delta, Air France, KLM and Alitalia gateways that could be useful to you: JFK, Newark, Miami, Orlando, Boston, Wash Dulles, Philadelphia, PIT, Montreal, Toronto... The ~eighteen cities Atlanta-Europe non-stop is just a start.
Okay I'll keep trying. I've tried JFK, ATL, MIA, FLL to VCE, FCO, Florence whatever the code is ;-).... Milan... No luck yet. But I hadn't thought of some of the other cities you mention, so I'll stick with it. Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't overlook the Pisa airport, PSA, and an $8 direct train, ~70 minutes to the center of Florence.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Don't overlook the Pisa airport, PSA, and an $8 direct train, ~70 minutes to the center of Florence.
There's a train directly at that airport or do you have to go into Pisa?

How often does it run?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are trains (I did say direct) from Pisa airport to Florence's main train station, Firenze SMN. Connections via Pisa Centrale are possible but not required.

Googling 'train schedule Pisa airport Florence' leads one to this site operated by the Pisa airport authority:

http://www.pisa-airport.com/index.ph...en&id_sect=269
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Delta ticket office

If I go to the local official DL ticketing office here in Manila, would they be able to help me find low level BE awards from a hub city to MNL?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Misc. others
Okay I'll keep trying. I've tried JFK, ATL, MIA, FLL to VCE, FCO, Florence whatever the code is ;-).... Milan... No luck yet. But I hadn't thought of some of the other cities you mention, so I'll stick with it. Thanks!
Are you getting Alitalia results with whatever tool you're using? They have direct flights from MIA to MXP and FCO, and seem to have good availability outside of the peak summer months.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craig44485
If I go to the local official DL ticketing office here in Manila, would they be able to help me find low level BE awards from a hub city to MNL?
Hard to say.

By restricting your search to Delta and KE, you're omitting some (easily found) award capacity. Flying Blue finds China Airlines business and coach awards from their North American gateway cities (LAX, SFO, YVR) to Taipei and on to Manila. While some have objectively criticized CI's business product, IMHO a bad Business seat is better than a good coach seat, and most any coach seat is better than no award at all.

ExpertFlyer also finds CI coach seats.

Flying Blue will also find some North America - Asia awards on China Southern (LAX-CAN, YVR-CAN) but seems to struggle with China Eastern (LAX-PVG, JFK-PVG, YVR-PVG), another airline supported by ExpertFlyer.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by tebfunk
Are you getting Alitalia results with whatever tool you're using? They have direct flights from MIA to MXP and FCO, and seem to have good availability outside of the peak summer months.
That's the problem; going in peak summer months since I have a 13 year old and that's when school's out. I'm trying for early June. It does bring up some Alitalia flights, but on DL still showing lots of miles.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does bring up some Alitalia flights, but on DL still showing lots of miles.
If you're seeing an award price higher than Low band it's due to the Delta segments to/from the North American gateway. All partner award segments (excluding a narrow Hawaiian Airlines exemption) are Low or not available. As the original post counsels, try looking for one-ways - if not segment by segment, then at least FLL-North American gateway city, gateway-destination (and it seems you can find some Alitalia flights).

FlyingBlue shows 3 coach Miami-Milan Malpensa on May 31 at Classic level (if that meets your end-of-school timing). That should be bookable by phone with DL miles. I'm sure more time searching would yield more results.

added: There's a LOT of MIA-Rome appearing in early June with connections via London and/or Paris on dates where I clicked through.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jan 16, 2012 at 8:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.