Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

In addition to 3C's comments, be sure to have the agents search point to point on their end. I have had challenges with them in the past insisting a flight was not available due to an "improper" search on their end.

Good luck.
As I posted on a related thread, I too am having issues with low seats on AF.com and then not being available on Dl.com or on the phone. Denolloyd, what do you mean by having the agents search point to point?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
As I posted on a related thread, I too am having issues with low seats on AF.com and then not being available on Dl.com or on the phone. Denolloyd, what do you mean by having the agents search point to point?
Point to point would be the same method used in this thread. The DL reps typically search the way most individuals do, Origin - Destination, which for some reason eliminates certain flights.

For example, I called DL to book TPA-MSP-LHR-OTP recently. The agent insisted there was no LHR-OTP direct routing available (it was on RO). Although I gave them the flights to search, the Agent instead simply searched TPA-OTP. In doing so, the last leg operated by RO did not display to him as an available option. When I insisted he search via the point to point method (TPA-MSP, MSP-LHR, LHR-OTP), he was able to find the RO flight, and I was good to go.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:08 pm

Point to point would be the same method used in this thread. The DL reps typically search the way most individuals do, Origin - Destination, which for some reason eliminates certain flights.

For example, I called DL to book TPA-MSP-LHR-OTP recently. The agent insisted there was no LHR-OTP direct routing available (it was on RO). Although I gave them the flights to search, the Agent instead simply searched TPA-OTP. In doing so, the last leg operated by RO did not display to him as an available option. When I insisted he search via the point to point method (TPA-MSP, MSP-LHR, LHR-OTP), he was able to find the RO flight, and I was good to go.
Thanks much...if I mention point to point, will the agents know to what I'm referring, or should I be prepared to explain it?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks much...if I mention point to point, will the agents know to what I'm referring, or should I be prepared to explain it?
Anytime. And yes, I'd be prepared to explain.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 1:06 pm

Thanks again...that worked! "Point to point" didn't work, but they looked "by segment" and that did...(yes, I know it's the same thing). Again, many thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again...that worked! "Point to point" didn't work, but they looked "by segment" and that did...(yes, I know it's the same thing). Again, many thanks.
Awesome!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:37 am

Well, I FINALLY got my trip with 2 business tickets. I had to change the dates slightly and many thanks for the tip to search by schedule. After 3 hours of trying and calling and searching, I tried another search by schedule only on specific dates without the calendar, using the available dates per the AF tool. Eventually I got the DL site to bring up the flights that were available in business per AF and got the system to allow me to book them, despite 2 DL agents insisting there was no availability. Apparently forcing a search by "schedule" and by only allowing to search on specific dates did something.

A ton of thanks to you guys here for the tips as I would not have been able to get them otherwise. Adios DL as I finally burned the last 200,000 miles now.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by antonius66
Well, I FINALLY got my trip with 2 business tickets. I had to change the dates slightly and many thanks for the tip to search by schedule. After 3 hours of trying and calling and searching, I tried another search by schedule only on specific dates without the calendar, using the available dates per the AF tool. Eventually I got the DL site to bring up the flights that were available in business per AF and got the system to allow me to book them, despite 2 DL agents insisting there was no availability. Apparently forcing a search by "schedule" and by only allowing to search on specific dates did something.

A ton of thanks to you guys here for the tips as I would not have been able to get them otherwise. Adios DL as I finally burned the last 200,000 miles now.
Flexible search (award calendar) only searches DL flights, so to find partners you MUST enter the date you know there's availability. Search by schedule is generally also required since there's some inherent bias toward finding DL flights even when they're more miles.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:40 pm

I too noticed DL.com cannot get RO availability. Someone please remind me, what is the best way to deal with Delta over the phone to avoid $25 ticketing fee: start an itinerary online and put it on hold then call and have agent add segments, OR start from scratch with the agent and ask them to put the reservation on hold to be purchased later online?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
I too noticed DL.com cannot get RO availability. Someone please remind me, what is the best way to deal with Delta over the phone to avoid $25 ticketing fee: start an itinerary online and put it on hold then call and have agent add segments, OR start from scratch with the agent and ask them to put the reservation on hold to be purchased later online?
When I booked my award flight, I called DL to change a couple of flights on an existing itinerary I st up on delta.com (trying to make the change online resulted in an error message). I thanked the agent and then redeemed the award online to save the $25. The pricing didn't change and the agent reminded me that I'd pay the extra $25 if I booked online. I really don't understand the point of paying $25 to book a trip but nothing to work the itinerary which is more time consuming, but I'm not complaining.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

I make note of The flights I want, call DL, have them place on hold, then "purchase" online after.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:02 pm

I make note of The flights I want, call DL, have them place on hold, then "purchase" online after.
Thank you!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!
Cu plăcere!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
I knew about the airport taxes but wasn't sure which countries were more tax friendly but read that FRA is also a good choice (no low awards for AMS-JFK in my time frame) and originally thought about spending some time there. So I booked the following:

JFK-LHR stay in london 5 days
LHR-AMS stay in Amsterdam 3 days
AMS-FRA stay in Frankfurt 1 day
FRA-JFK

Still 100k
and taxes cut to $168.60 saving me $150 and a train ride. Thanks for the advice!

Now my next step is to book flights on aircraft other than 767s. For the flights I booked just now that would require a connection to another city. However, when I originally looked at JFK-AMS I saw that KLM operates a 777 and 747 but they were not availalble as an award at all (even on FB) and all I could book was DL's 767. Not that I'm complaining but I'd like to try BE in one of those planes.
Unless your layover in FRA is under 24 hours, this is considered multiple stopovers. Am surprised it still priced at 100K. Is DL getting lenient on stopovers?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by ikonos
Unless your layover in FRA is under 24 hours, this is considered multiple stopovers. Am surprised it still priced at 100K. Is DL getting lenient on stopovers?
But even with FRA not being stopover, there are still 2 stopovers left: LHR and AMS. I thought we were only allowed one stopover per round-trip?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.