Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Using the techniques outlined in the OP's first post one might look for these carriers and connection points on the way to HNL:

Delta via NRT, NGO, KIX

Korean via ICN

China Airlines via NRT

China Eastern via PVG

Hawaiian via KIX, ICN, HND and MNL
I find Wikipedia very helpful in figuring out (a) where carriers fly and (b) which carriers serve an airport. You'll always want to check the carriers' schedules to verify (especially since some routes run only a couple times per week), but it's a resource that I think too many people around here overlook when trying to figure out how to get somewhere.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: Yes.
Yes, but no luck. Just curious if there was something I was missing.
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Have you tried the FlyingBlue engine on airfrance.us?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by econjon
Yes, but no luck. Just curious if there was something I was missing.
As recommended by the OP, try searching from the N American gateways (LAX/SFO/PDX/SEA/YVR plus most everything east) to find the overwater segment(s), then build on the domestic portion from/to SAN. If there's any flexibility to travel dates, you can get pretty close.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA/CO Silver
Using the techniques outlined in the OP's first post one might look for these carriers and connection points on the way to HNL:

Delta via NRT, NGO, KIX

Korean via ICN

China Airlines via NRT

China Eastern via PVG

Hawaiian via KIX, ICN, HND and MNL
Thanks for your help! It seems that since HNL is a leisure market, the airlines don't have their best business class seats on those routes.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:52 am

Help with Business award ticket

Can someone help me put together a trip for 2 business class seats from IAH/DFW to MRU/SEZ/MLE from Dec 23 to Dec 31 +/-. I was able to find C availability to get to Europe, but not able to find anything from Europe to MRU/SEZ/MLE. The only option that comes up is 70k miles+$500 in Economy from CDG to MRU per pax. Any help will be appreciated.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by houflier
Can someone help me put together a trip for 2 business class seats from IAH/DFW to MRU/SEZ/MLE from Dec 23 to Dec 31 +/-. I was able to find C availability to get to Europe, but not able to find anything from Europe to MRU/SEZ/MLE. The only option that comes up is 70k miles+$500 in Economy from CDG to MRU per pax. Any help will be appreciated.
Sorry, but with your dates, I'd say forget it. I was trying a WAS-MRU route this morning. No problems getting to MRU, but seriously nothing available coming back until late January...and I mean nothing! It's a nice place, but I don't exactly fancy going to an island paradise on a one-way ticket!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by kuwakku
Thanks for your help! It seems that since HNL is a leisure market, the airlines don't have their best business class seats on those routes.
Some airlines do, such as DL's ATL-HNL. Other airlines don't have a special "leisure" product so just put their standard international offerings on the HNL runs as well.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:42 pm
Formerly known as aepehrso

Programs: DL Silver, UA Premier, PC Platinum, HH Silver
Question Honeymoon in Argentina/Uruguay

Hello, I am looking for some advice on how to get business award fare for two to EZE or Monteviedo, Uruguay. I have read through the most of this thread but was unable to use the tricks to find what I wanted. If anyone has any ideas on how to make it happen, I would very much appreciate it!

MSY-EZE-MSY
Depart January 14, 21, 28 +/-2 days, duration 8-10 days.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta flies ATL-EZE. Aeromexico flies MEX-EZE and will be bookable only by phone, but searchable with a Flying Blue account at www.airfrance.us. You may be able to use GOL Airlines (also phone only) to make a connection to MVD after flying Delta to Brazil.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I've been looking for MSP-SIN tickets for months--on my way to CMB. DL was asking ridiculous amounts (200K, etc) for Economy, even more for Biz. While every time I checked I could get to Asia via various routings using CO miles in both Y and C.
After giving up on DL, I randomly checked last week and what?? Here is what I ticketed:
MSP-NRT-SIN (23DEC) in Business
SIN-NRT-MSP (06AUG) in Economy
Total miles 100K, taxes $81.
The only bad thing about this (yes, I do rag on DL a lot) is that, of course, anyone who wants to plan ahead for their trip is quite often screwed on DL. That said, with flexibility, it can work out.
Finally--I was actually trying to get to CMB, but wow is that an almost-impossible ticket! I (amazingly) got an agent to confirm SIN-BOM in 9W Business but simply couldn't get BOM-CMB. I could have bought a separate ticket on BOM-CMB for about $250, but the taxes/YQ on the 9W portion were like $180 alone. Also possible was MH but also could only get SIN-KUL and not KUL-CMB, at least at this late date--and taxes on DL/MH were also almost $300. Ended up buying a OW on UL for $240.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
It sucks that SQ is gone now. Did most of my CMB runs on SQ or UL. Never flown in anything lower than Biz. At least it's not a super long flight. 4 hours or so from memory.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:11 am
Formerly known as aepehrso

Programs: DL Silver, UA Premier, PC Platinum, HH Silver
not for the lack of trying

Delta flies ATL-EZE. Aeromexico flies MEX-EZE and will be bookable only by phone, but searchable with a Flying Blue account at www.airfrance.us. You may be able to use GOL Airlines (also phone only) to make a connection to MVD after flying Delta to Brazil.
Thanks for suggestion... I found a route MSY-GRU, EZE-MSY for 100K but when I tried to book it, it was gone Way to go, Delta!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:06 pm

MKE- LAS next November

I am looking for 2 F award tickets for November 2012. I would like to stay 3 nights ideally during the week. I am willing to use 62,500 miles and so far I have found nothing at a reasonable time. I would like to get out of MKE in the AM and leave LAS late morning or early afternoon. I have found nothing! Any suggestions? I am doing somehting wrong? The calendar is useless. Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:04 pm

Sorry, it is not worth wasting 62.5K miles on a domestic award- book a revenue fare instead
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MELA
... so far I have found nothing at a reasonable time... The calendar is useless.
Not finding availability and the quirks of the calendar are actually quite independent issues for Delta-operated itineraries.

Could you be satisfied with Madison as the departure airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.