Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by seansmother
Turns out when I told my DH and DS we would change planes in Paris, a light bulb went on for them; let's visit Paris (my DS has never been). So originally I thought I would just book from MIA-CDG, then get a flight to VCE; then we are traveling through Italy, and fly home FCO-MIA. BUT reading this thread more, I should be able to just "stopover" in Paris for 3 or 4 nights, and continue to VCE, and it would be the same # of miles?
It's almost a crime to not take advantage of a stopover in a place like Paris if you can swing it. As a bonus, a stopover sometimes makes the award easier to get in low.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Yes, for the 60K price of a coach round trip you can have a stopover on a valid routing MIA-VCE (Paris works, as would Amsterdam and a dozen other cities) and the open jaw return from FCO.
Great, thanks! I think we'll do that.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: Skyteam: DL SM, One World, Star Alliance
SEA to Krakow, can't find awards to KRK

On Sep 12 (or 11 or 13) we're going to Krakow, Poland. DL doesn't show KRK as a destination, so I bought ExpertFlyer to search for KL and AF awards. I can get as far as Prague, but Czech Air (OK) shows no award flights onward to KRK.

Would the KVS tool show flights to KRK, or does that require a phone call to the Delta agent and ask them to look for OK flights to finish the trip.

We don't have to route through PRG cause we're going straight to KRK.

We return on Sep 19, and would like to stopover in PRG until Sep 22 (or 21).

We have 400,000 DL points. My wife and I would like to go Business and bring her sister and brother-in-law with us even if they travel coach award.

Is this possible?

Thx
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:53 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by pauldepape
On Sep 12 (or 11 or 13) we're going to Krakow, Poland. DL doesn't show KRK as a destination, so I bought ExpertFlyer to search for KL and AF awards. I can get as far as Prague, but Czech Air (OK) shows no award flights onward to KRK.

Would the KVS tool show flights to KRK, or does that require a phone call to the Delta agent and ask them to look for OK flights to finish the trip.
KVS Tool supports Award Availability on all SkyTeam member airlines (except KE), so it sure would:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.1/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/SkyTeam/US-AF]
Code:
PRG  Prague Ruzyne CZ [LKPR]
KRK  Krakow J Paul II Intl PL [EPKK]
WED  12 Sep 2012 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
OK         772     PRG   12:10     KRK   13:30              CS+  YS+
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:20 pm

I have read that Delta releases award space "at the last moment", as opposed to other US carriers who release at 330 days or so. How many months prior is usually "at the last moment"?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: Skyteam: DL SM, One World, Star Alliance
SEA to KRK

Thanks for getting me started KVS. I just bought a diamond membership. Let's see how far I can get from Krakow to Seattle now.

Paul
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:13 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by michael_v
I have read that Delta releases award space "at the last moment", as opposed to other US carriers who release at 330 days or so. How many months prior is usually "at the last moment"?
Months? Hah! Try 3-10 days.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Help booking 2 low award TPAC tickets

I have been trying for days now to book 2 First?Business Class low level award tickets for my parents from PIT>MNL. I have found low level available on June 11th returning June 28th, but when I click on find flights it only shows medium level awards. So, I have called the PM line and have gotten different stories each time. Only one agent could find a low level, that was in May departing from DTW, if she added the PIT to DTW on then it went to 200K.

I have called 3 times tonight asking to find availability and I am even looking right at the awards calendar when I call, and the agents all say there is no low level awards at all in June, yet I see all kinds of availability. What is going on?
Any suggestions on how to go forward with this?

Thank you
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by craig44485
I have been trying for days now to book 2 First?Business Class low level award tickets for my parents from PIT>MNL. I have found low level available on June 11th returning June 28th, but when I click on find flights it only shows medium level awards. So, I have called the PM line and have gotten different stories each time. Only one agent could find a low level, that was in May departing from DTW, if she added the PIT to DTW on then it went to 200K.

I have called 3 times tonight asking to find availability and I am even looking right at the awards calendar when I call, and the agents all say there is no low level awards at all in June, yet I see all kinds of availability. What is going on?
Any suggestions on how to go forward with this?

Thank you
Sorry to hear about your experience. DL is infuriating when it comes to booking TPAC awards, esp in J. Multiple calls, long hours on the phone, broken award calendar etc.

I highly suggest looking at partners, or mix of carriers.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:08 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Sorry to hear about your experience. DL is infuriating when it comes to booking TPAC awards, esp in J. Multiple calls, long hours on the phone, broken award calendar etc.

I highly suggest looking at partners, or mix of carriers.
When I call I ask them specifically if they are only checking DL metal or are they also checking partners and they say they have checked everybody! I am so exasperated. I just can not believe that there are zero(0) J awards at low level for the next 5 months!!!! I will take any 2 week trip between now and the end of June. There has to be at least 2 low level awards out there somewhere!!!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by craig44485
When I call I ask them specifically if they are only checking DL metal or are they also checking partners and they say they have checked everybody! I am so exasperated. I just can not believe that there are zero(0) J awards at low level for the next 5 months!!!! I will take any 2 week trip between now and the end of June. There has to be at least 2 low level awards out there somewhere!!!
You really need to provide them with partner flight numbers and dates to check, unfortunately.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Help please....

Maybe its because i don't understand the rules. Trying to book 2 seats for ATL - DUB in July. Dates are outbound on the 4th or 5th and return on the 20th. I'm limited by miles (used a lot last year so have ~190,000. Anyway finding economy in the mid price is not a problem (pricing at 90K) but i see that business is showing low awards on the 5th (should be 50k?) and i can get back on the 20th in mid price in economy (should be 45K) so by my math it should price out at 95k - outbound in BE and return in Y.

When i do the search it prices at 150k and both legs are in BE, not a bad deal BUT i don't have the miles and i don't mind doing the return daytime leg in Y. IS it pricing at the mid level because the economy leg is in mid? Any ideas? should i just call international awards desk?

Help!!!!!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DMIrishFlyer
IS it pricing at the mid level because the economy leg is in mid?
Yes. If you want the award to price as Low Business + Low Coach all segments must be Low in both directions.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Yes. If you want the award to price as Low Business + Low Coach all segments must be Low in both directions.
Figures - thanks for the response 3Cforme!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Months? Hah! Try 3-10 days.
Delta doesn't have close-in ticketing fee for awards, do they?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.