Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:30 am

Thanks so much for that information. I have the award on hold now and am on a call with a very angry agent that im making her work. About to ask for the supervisor to quote your valuable information above.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by roknroll
This is very odd, AND incorrect. I can even price it out online and it does the same thing without a stopover. I just used 17Aug2013 as an arbitrary date. SYD-LAX shows up for 150k miles in business (low). Then LAX-SJD shows up for 60k miles in F (low). There's a 2.5hr layover between the flights which is fine. Then when you search SYD-SJD it says 210k miles and gives the same flights that were both low, obviously adding the two and considering it as two awards.

Delta's award chart lists Australia-Mexico as 150k miles round trip in business. MPM (max permitted mileage) is listed at 10,095 and you are well below that on SYD-LAX-SJD at 8,399. As mtkeller said, Delta publishes this route but it is split into two fares (LAX-SYD and SYD-SJD). That is probably the hang up, but it SHOULDN'T prevent this award. They do the same thing when booking SYD-ATL via LAX and that is definitely bookable on a single award fare, and isn't broken up into 150k+45k.

I would ask to talk to a supervisor noting the award chart stating the mileage as 150k, that it is within the MPM, that it is on a published routing, and that all segments are individually available at low. You could also try tweeting @deltaassist, or try private messaging one of the DL reps here on FlyerTalk (they don't post much, but I hear they do respond to some PM's). DwayneSkyMiles would probably be the guy to contact.

Edit:
the only thing I saw that might cause an issue (but I have no clue) is that in the routing rules for SYD-SJD, it has it as SYD-MEX with add on destination of SJD.

I don't know what this means exactly, and if it is what the problem is. But it sticks out to me.
And....... 130 minutes on the phone later with 2 different agents, 1 customer service desk and then the international rate desk... SUCCESS!!! Got my SYD-LAX-SJD SJD-LAX/SYD
Booked for 150k per person!! The first 3 agents kept telling me it wasnt valid because of the stop over. I told them it was pricing at 210k without any stopover. They made up a few other strange reasons too which I wasnt going to let the Delta dumb agents pull over on me. Thanks to the friendly help by ROKNROLL and MTKELLER on this one.

My guess is that they couldnt find any restrictions to price the award at 150k and finally gave up and just manually changed it for me. It was definitely worth my time investment to follow this one up.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jezzel6969
And....... 130 minutes on the phone later with 2 different agents, 1 customer service desk and then the international rate desk... SUCCESS!!! Got my SYD-LAX-SJD SJD-LAX/SYD
Booked for 150k per person!! The first 3 agents kept telling me it wasnt valid because of the stop over. I told them it was pricing at 210k without any stopover. They made up a few other strange reasons too which I wasnt going to let the Delta dumb agents pull over on me. Thanks to the friendly help by ROKNROLL and MTKELLER on this one.

My guess is that they couldnt find any restrictions to price the award at 150k and finally gave up and just manually changed it for me. It was definitely worth my time investment to follow this one up.
Congrats on the results.

It's a shame that Delta put you through 130 minutes on the phone to get their award to price correctly.

I really hope you don't need a date change!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Congrats on the results.

It's a shame that Delta put you through 130 minutes on the phone to get their award to price correctly.

I really hope you don't need a date change!
Funny enough you mention that because when I got the confirm email they didnt actually book the same flight as I had on hold. The booked SYD-LAX-SJD then SJD-LAX-SYD and eliminated my stopover in LAX. I called and spend 40 minutes waiting for a rep who changed the booking (no fee) within about 3 minutes. I was expecting a much longer drawn out process than that.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
What am I doing wrong?

EF tells me the flight I want BOS-FCO shows A7, which is AZ's code for Premium Economy Award. My return flight shows Z2, which is Business Award. I have talked to three Delta agents who all say they tried a long sell for two seats and both flights showed zero availability in both J and Y. They insist they are getting this response from AZ. Is there some brilliantly penetrating question I should be asking?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:02 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by dd992emo
EF tells me the flight I want BOS-FCO shows A7, which is AZ's code for Premium Economy Award. My return flight shows Z2, which is Business Award. I have talked to three Delta agents who all say they tried a long sell for two seats and both flights showed zero availability in both J and Y. They insist they are getting this response from AZ. Is there some brilliantly penetrating question I should be asking?
What are the flight #s/dates in question?

Also, Premium Economy seats are not available for partner redemption.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
What are the flight #s/dates in question?

Also, Premium Economy seats are not available for partner redemption.
Didn't know that...thanks! Outbound is AZ 615 on 05/21/13 showing A7. No Z availability showing so I requested A. Return flight is FCO-BOS on AZ 614 on 06/03/13 showing Z2 A7. Delta agent(s) reiterated AZ replied to their long sell request with zero availability in J and Y.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:56 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Didn't know that...thanks! Outbound is AZ 615 on 05/21/13 showing A7. No Z availability showing so I requested A. Return flight is FCO-BOS on AZ 614 on 06/03/13 showing Z2 A7. Delta agent(s) reiterated AZ replied to their long sell request with zero availability in J and Y.
You wish to call again, making sure that the Agent is requesting Availability in the correct Booking Class (http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AgentSaysNo):

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.4/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/SkyTeam/FR-AF]
Code:
FCO  Rome Fiumicino IT [LIRF]
BOS  Boston Logan Intl MA US [KBOS]
MON  03 Jun 2013 | 2 Seats

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
AZ         614     FCO   11:00     BOS   14:20              CS+  WS/  YS0
AZ         316     FCO   07:00     CDG   09:10              CS0  WS/  YS2
 -> AF     332     CDG   13:35     BOS   15:05
AF         1005    FCO   07:10     CDG   09:20              CX0  WX0  YS9
AF         1005    FCO   07:10     CDG   09:20              CX0  WS9  YA9
 -> AF     322     CDG   19:10     BOS   20:35
AF         1205    FCO   10:20     CDG   12:30              CX0  WX0  YS9
AF         1205    FCO   10:20     CDG   12:30              CX0  WS9  YA9
AF         1505    FCO   12:50     CDG   15:00              CX0  WS9  YA9
AF         1931    FCO   14:05     ORY   16:05              CX0  WS9  YA9
AZ         324     FCO   14:30     CDG   16:40              CS0  WS/  YS2
AZ         330     FCO   15:35     CDG   17:45              CS0  WS/  YS2
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Sounds like agent isn't actually doing a long sell. Make sure they tell you they get an "unconfirmed" response to a seat request. No availability sounds like a simple search.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Sounds like agent isn't actually doing a long sell. Make sure they tell you they get an "unconfirmed" response to a seat request. No availability sounds like a simple search.
Thanks, I'll try that on my next call. Am I using the correct code with "Z" for Business? If Premium Economy is not available for partner award I can quit using "A", I guess.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Thanks, I'll try that on my next call. Am I using the correct code with "Z" for Business? If Premium Economy is not available for partner award I can quit using "A", I guess.
Yes, you need Z for business. You can't redeem for Premium Economy, so just ignore that. Weekends seem to be a bad time to call for AZ award space. Maybe the computers in Rome take the weekend off or something.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Yes. See below thread post 3 for fare classes per carrier. Make sure they do a long sell in Z class, and confirm what response the get. An unconfirmed will return a "NK" code I believe or "UC" code.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html
Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:35 pm

Updated instrutions for 2013?

Hey guys. This 3+ year old thread with 110 pages of replies is overwhelming. I know the Delta award engine still sucks but the instrutions from the OP are confusing and I can't find an "updated" thread with more concise instructions.

Please clarify what this means...

Search for USA - AMS / CDG ONE WAY in Coach by Mileage.

In the flights displayed, look for those priced at 100,000, with seating in First / Business.

If you cannot find any 100,000 mile flights with First / Business seating, do another search but search for Business this time.
Am I using the "Book Award Travel" search or regular search, which only returns $$s not miles? How do you search for both coach and business "mileage" redemption? I have tried both the standard search checking "Book Award Travel" as well as the dedicated award search, which might in fact be the same.

I have seen all the same problems reports over 3 years ago, where the low-tier (green boxes appear on the calendar but the 100k roundtrip is never available).

I am trying to find PDX-AMS roundtrip (2 tix) in June (between the 10th and 25th) for 100k. Hell I would even take 200k but I can't seem to lock it down. NExt step is to call the Platinum help desk. Any guidance or updated instructions using the current search tools would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
You should be checking the book award travel box when searching, if it returns flights priced in $, then it's not right.

Also realize that this thread and it's techniques/tips does not mean you will magically get low tier awards. It is the best method to find them, but they are still very hard to find.

Basically you should only be searching segment by segment, and if you can find them all in low, then you can piece it together to make it a full trip in low. Just as the thread says, first search to see if you can find ANY direct flights from ANY Delta/KLM/AF/Alitalia hub to a European city. If you can, then you need to see if you can find a flight from PDX to whever the US departure city is. And if the trans atlantic portion isn't direct to AMS, you then need to see if you can find the flight from your European landing city to AMS.

It takes a long time and is very annoying. But that is basically what you do. You can't just plug in PDX-AMS and expect DL to find the best options for you.

The problem of the green box appearing when there is no low tier usually has to do with the fact that SOME portion of one or more of those flights might be available in low, but if there's a stop or two in the routing and any other leg is medium/high it will price the award at the higher level. This is why the technique is to ONLY search segment by segment on direct non-stop flights.

So let's say you found ORD-CDG available on Air France. Next you would need to find PDX-ORD. You could start by just plugging in PDX-ORD into the Delta award search and if you are lucky there might be some low level options. If not, you then need to look at all the possible routings that will get you from PDX to ORD (i.e. via MSP, DTW, ATL, SLC, etc). You'd then search for direct flights on PDX-MSP, PDX-DTW, PDX-ATL, and so on. If you find any of those at low, then you would see if you could find the next segment of XXX-ORD in low. You can mix and match business and economy between segments too, but it HAS to be in low otherwise it will bump the whole trip up in miles. If you can find your way to ORD in low in time to get on the TATL flight, then you would see if you can find CDG-AMS available. If not, you start over. If so, then you got to Europe and need to start over doing the same for the return.

Last edited by roknroll; Feb 5, 2013 at 2:48 pm
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by roknroll
You should be checking the book award travel box when searching, if it returns flights priced in $, then it's not right.

Also realize that this thread and it's techniques/tips does not mean you will magically get low tier awards. It is the best method to find them, but they are still very hard to find.

Basically you should only be searching segment by segment, and if you can find them all in low, then you can piece it together to make it a full trip in low. Just as the thread says, first search to see if you can find ANY direct flights from ANY Delta/KLM/AF/Alitalia hub to a European city. If you can, then you need to see if you can find a flight from PDX to whever the US departure city is. And if the trans atlantic portion isn't direct to AMS, you then need to see if you can find the flight from your European landing city to AMS.

It takes a long time and is very annoying. But that is basically what you do. You can't just plug in PDX-AMS and expect DL to find the best options for you.

The problem of the green box appearing when there is no low tier usually has to do with the fact that SOME portion of one or more of those flights might be available in low, but if there's a stop or two in the routing and any other leg is medium/high it will price the award at the higher level. This is why the technique is to ONLY search segment by segment on direct non-stop flights.

So let's say you found ORD-CDG available on Air France. Next you would need to find PDX-ORD. You could start by just plugging in PDX-ORD into the Delta award search and if you are lucky there might be some low level options. If not, you then need to look at all the possible routings that will get you from PDX to ORD (i.e. via MSP, DTW, ATL, SLC, etc). You'd then search for direct flights on PDX-MSP, PDX-DTW, PDX-ATL, and so on. If you find any of those at low, then you would see if you could find the next segment of XXX-ORD in low. You can mix and match business and economy between segments too, but it HAS to be in low otherwise it will bump the whole trip up in miles. If you can find your way to ORD in low in time to get on the TATL flight, then you would see if you can find CDG-AMS available. If not, you start over. If so, then you got to Europe and need to start over doing the same for the return.
Slippery Jeff Robertson must be laughing his tuckus off at the length that people have go to to redeem his SkyPesos.

Clearly he has built the Best In Class loyalty program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.